Anyone gig with a Superchamp XD?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Chiogtr4x, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Hi Folks,

I'm familiar with the SuperChamp XD amp and its features
    ( note: a few buddies have the earlier models, when it first came out)
    but these guys don't gig ( anymore)

I actually gig small rooms mostly ( the only guitar in my band), and my amps are either an old BJ ( My big amp!).or a Vox Pathfinder- love em both.
    I have always been curious about a single 10" amp - Pro Jr. has no Reverb and a Princeton cost too much!
    A Superchamp XD has sone good Fender voices and I like its portability,, but am curious about its longevity and reliability in real world gigs? Thanks

( and mainly leaving stock, including speaker- initially...)

2. P Thought

P Thought Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

The Super Champ XD was my first real amp, not counting the $20 old used Johnson I bought with my first electric so I could hear it. Before long, in the process of "upgrading", I sold it for $100, a very-friendly price for a friend at work.

I didn't really know what I was listening to, with all the modeling voice settings, not having had any experience with other amps, and I didn't know (still don't, in some cases) what to do with many of the effects settings.

I don't know anything about how it would serve for gigging; I'm not a gigger. But if it weren't for the fact that I'm glad my friend enjoys having it, I'd be sorry I sold it.

(Edit: the amp that displaced the Super Champ XD for me was a nifty Blues Jr. I gave it to my son--along with one of my blueprint teles--when I got my Classic 50 twin. Same thing. If it weren't for who it is that has it now I would regret letting it go.)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019 at 7:59 AM
    Chiogtr4x likes this.
  3. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

I don't know if the current XD version is all that different from the first ones- but I did fumble with my friends' older ones enough to be able to ' toggle' between the Channel #1 ( clean BF Fender) and a Tweed Fender and Marshall voice on the #2 Channel as well as futz with the Effects a bit....

But my main interest ( as I do like its basic Fender tone and amp size+ plus I would just use my small pedal board anyway...)
    is how well does the amp hold up over time and frequent gigs?

I think in my band situation ( as I have actually been using a 15 watt SS Vox amp with an 8" speaker for years now!)
    that the 25 Watts and 1×10" of the Superchamp could work for me.

4. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The Super Champ XD and X2 are a Princeton circuit once you get past the SS preamp. They’ll get the job done at any gig where a Princeton would get the job done. The speaker size is not an issue. They should work well at small gigs, otherwise you can mike them.

jimash likes this.
  5. ecoast

ecoast Tele-Holic

I have used X2, no prob.

6. jball85

jball85 TDPRI Member

I used one for a year or so. They will work fine for smaller gigs. I did have trouble cutting through with the second channel at times without micing it up, but if you do mic it, the little amp is an absolute gem. I use voice 3 on channel #2 (Treble 10, Bass 3, gain 6-10) for gain. Couldn't be happier. I love these amps. BTW it helps to run an EQ pedal with these to cut through.

7. swampyankee

swampyankee Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I used my XD at practice all the time. I gigged with it with a Warehouse G12C on an outdoor gig, mic'd of course. I was using it as a monitor as well, and probably had the volume up too much because when I had it on Ch 2 with gain up, the bass notes were too distorted. It would probably sound better if I spend more time tweaking it.

A friend of mine went from his Blues Jr to his XD for his GB band. He played all sorts of music styles for at least 10 years and just recently replaced it with a PRRI limited edition with C12Q.

8. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

I pushed a 4x12 (and a 2x12) cab at bar gigs with mine. Sounded awesome!

drlucky likes this.
  9. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Holic

I use a XD for 90% of my gigs/rehearsals: the others I use my Blues Deluxe...and 90% of the time I realize after the gig that I could've used the XD and been just fine...

Love that amp!!:D:D

10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

The driver, PI, and output stages are Princeton, so... 1. Turn volume up. 2. Turn bass down.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.