Anyone gig with a 12ax7 in v1 of a tweed deluxe?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by gobi_grey, Dec 10, 2019.

1. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

I've tried the 12ax7 in v1 a few times over the years but honestly I can't get a good clear picture of the sound in my small music room. Yes I can hear a little more gain, a little earlier on, still get loud cleans though. Way brighter so had to roll the tone back which in turn lowers the gain but still seemed to have more gain than before. For a hot second I ran it wide open. Sounded awesome!
    So I'm thinking unmic'd bar gig volume would still be at about 3 1/2 which leaves the amp on the edge of breakup. Seems like it would still clean up enough to gig with. Anyone done it? Thinking about trying it out this weekend. Will be throwing a 12ay7 in my pocket just in case I find things to be too harsh.

2. sudogeek

sudogeek Tele-Meister

I have a Fender reissue Tweed Deluxe which is outfitted with JJ 6V6S power tubes; the B voltage is also about 20% higher than the specs on the schematic. With the stock 12AY7, this amp, at least, did not exhibit as much breakup or distortion as my home-brew 5E3. I tried a 12AX7 in V1 but it just seemed harsh, less musical. I went with a 5751 which I find provides more gain and breakup than the stock V1 and sounded better. I would recommend trying that tube. (I push the volume 6 or so and vary the volume of the other channel to get the level of compression and breakup desired. I usually keep the tone around 9. Also, I’m playing an ASAT with MFD pickups which are hotter. As compared to my Tele with Tex-Mex pickups, I do roll off the tone a bit on the guitar with the MFDs.)

3. GitDownGuitar

GitDownGuitar NEW MEMBER!

Use your volume knob, silly!

4. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Not Gigging. I have a 12AX7 in V1 of my Silvertone 1482(similar to a Tremolux) and it's glorious. It has a "Mic" jack that's brighter and a "Instrument" jack for gain an grit. That 12AX7 sounds great for either jack as well as jumping both for a well rounded tone.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.