1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone gig regularly without a pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by GaryOsborne, Mar 10, 2015.

1. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

I've do it more often than not. I'm not much of a pedal guy. I do mess around with them a bit, but typically not more than OD/distortion and a little delay maybe a dash of chorus.

I know there are plenty of big name dudes that go straight in. Angus Young, Paul Stanley both go right into the stack.

2. rockabilly96

rockabilly96 Tele-Meister

I play rockabilly, rock and roll, and some country, and have only used a pedal once. My buddy had a slapback that he wanted me try out for a gig, and it was probably the only pedal I'd ever have a use for. Until I feel like spending money on a pedal, though, it's just tele/Gretsch into the AC30

3. mickeydean

mickeydean Friend of Leo's

I never use pedals BUT I just got a Strymon Deco that just might change my mind!

4. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire

agreed. to me, one of the best things about "the volume knob method" is that when you roll the volume down, you lose a bit of either treble or upper mids, however you wanna describe it.

This is useful because if the idea is to not be in the center of the mix as the loudest element, the loss of the upper mids helps push you down a little into the mix. Really useful for getting behind the singer a little bit, and giving the singer the upper mid frequency range.

with the treble bleed, that doesnt happen. You're not as loud, but the frequencies are the same. Doesnt help the singer.

5. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

This is just an opinion.

Lots of great rhythm parts are jangly and bright and clear in all the music I like and there is lots of singing.

To each their own, YMMV etc.

6. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Afflicted

NO Pedals?

I usually plug my acoustic straight into the board or sometimes a solid state amp with chorus and reverb.

I've also plugged a tele or a les paul straight into a two channel amp--with different settings--clean and dirty or rock and bluesy. That works great.

And I've played through a solid state amp with only a blue tube in the middle.

Right now I'm usually using a T Rex Soulmate (which I love). But straight cord can be great.

Lots of blues players I've worked with just plug in, turn the amp up, and work the volume, tone, and pickup controls. Which works great if you just want to sound like you and you've got reverb and maybe even tremolo on your amp.

It's tougher in a cover band that covers lots of different styles or sounds over the course of a gig.

7. vortexmike

vortexmike Tele-Meister

No pedal required here

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkGCvLstPrE&list=FLc6WDZkMQRitJopQU4THkKQ&index=8[/url]

8. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't think this is inconsistent with WNR's point. I hadn't really noticed the upper mid "notch" staying in place with the treble bleed and that's probably what I noticed. To me, rolling back removes that notch almost before the treble, come to think of it. So even without a treble bleed, rolling down can remain bright and jangly. Just not as "forward." But as you say, YMMV, IMO, etc.

9. songtalk

songtalk Friend of Leo's

Exactly. I may have an amp EQ and cap value synergy that others would envy if they took the helm.

:cool:

I am just saying. Obviously taste factors heavily into this.

I get a nice mid hump/bass boost by rolling my tone back a hair ala the "traditional tele bridge pickup taming technique" if that's the sound I'm looking for.

I just like access to a nice bright sound that's quieter when that's what I need, ya know?

10. mlove3

mlove3 Tele-Afflicted

Haven't used a pedal in many years, distortion from two channel amp, delay through the fx loop.
    Pedal fetish is the current predominant subculture in the guitar playing world.
    No thanks.

11. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Never used a pedal board when gigging. I always used 4 pedals- an eq, a phase, a fuzz, and a boost, sometimes a few more, but never bothered with a board.

12. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Wow. Lots of replies. Thank you guys. I haven't had a chance to read through them all yet but I will.
    Basically, I have played gigs "board-less" before. The first band I played with was a country cover band and I played a Tele straight into a Roland Cube 60 and it was great. But that was in Florida. The last couple years being in Nashville, the idea of going to a gig without a board seems crazy.
    It depends a lot on the gig and the amp being used. Classic country sets are my favorite (as I prefer that type of music anyway) because it's more stripped down. The rig I've been running for the last year or so is a pedal train (jr or mini, not sure, it fits like 5 boss-sized pedals I think) loaded with:
    Barber Comp > Gain Changer > Wampler Delay > EQD Tone Job (EQ/Boost).
    For a while I had a Durham Sex Drive (instead of the Tone Job) and I used that with the comp for my clean tone. For classic country I would turn the "Blend" knob on the comp all the way down and leave it on so it didn't add compression but acted as a buffer (never thought of that til I saw a video of Brian Wampler doing it, Thanks!). So I'd leave those two pedals on with the delay for slap back and use the Gain Changer set clean for a solo-boost and that was perfect. But more and more the classic country gigs are getting harder to come by (for me at least). When I get gigs it's usually a mix of a tiny bit of classic stuff, lots of 90s country and a tonnnnn of "modern country." And when I say modern country I am not talking about Sturgill Simpson! It seems 90s and "modern" country are synonymous with certain effects.

Here the band shift changes every 4 hours usually so there's always guys setting up or breaking down before or after you (unless you're doing the 10p-2a shift or something). So you see what everyone else is using and it's almost always a GIANT pedal board. What blows me away is the number of overdrives. Some guys have 7 or 8 OD pedals on their board. So they see my small board and maybe think I'm being a dick or something. I NEVER see guys plugging straight in. Even older guys, all using big custom built boards.

Anyway, I want to make it as simple as possible. I've been avoiding doing modern stuff and focusing more on school and doing songwriting sets. But I want to start playing more and I want to do it with as few pedals as possible. Hopefully I can find more old-school guys to play with so I can do the older tunes.
    I'll read some more posts later.
    Thank you guys.
    Gary.

13. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

TBH your board is already small. The EQ seems unnecessary to me but what do I know. Comps are always unnecessary but if you think it sounds better with it, why get rid of it?

W/ an eye on minimizing pedal chain--

As few pedals as possible:
    Guitar -> Delay -> Amp

More modern:
    Guitar -> Gain Changer -> Delay -> Amp

imo

14. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

Thanks. I have the EQ for a solo boost but also to help with different amps. For example, I had a Z Carmen Ghia for a while and it was suuuuper mid-heavy and it had a single tone knob that couldn't dial out any mids (it was more of a "cut" knob). So I'd use the EQD pedal to cut the mids and bass (the Tone Job has active EQ so you can cut or boost).
    I know there's a smaller pedaltrain than the one I have so I might try that, i think there's one made for 3 pedals. I could lose the comp and go OD, delay, boost.

ImageUploadedByTDPRI1426113103.351785.jpg

It's not hooked up right now but you can see I have some room. Especially if I lose the comp. Hopefully eventually I can put my own band together to do my songs in which case I'd probably go straight in to the amp.

15. GaryOsborne

GaryOsborne RIP

I just sold the comp. Lol. One step closer. I'm gonna try to sell everything but the Delay.

16. Sollophonic

Sollophonic Friend of Leo's

What is this "pedal-board" you speak of?;-)

I have always used the set up of Guitar/Cord/Amp

Keeps it simple and straightforward, plus I bop and dance around onstage rather than shoe-gaze pedals.

In fact, I have rarely used pedals at all on-stage.

I do this whether its a straight amp with a reverb, or what I use now which is a Cube 30 or a Cube 60 which have very use-able on-board effects.

I like to keep it simple, like myself I suppose;-)

17. dburns

dburns Friend of Leo's

I use to, in the mid to late 90s band I was in with my high school buddies. I played a 4×10 Fender DeVille and used the footswitch to access the gain channel. I used a wah on ocassion, but mostly straight into the amp.

18. prebend

prebend Tele-Holic

I play mostly country, all original, in the honky tonk, western swing, and outlaw style. I plug a tele right into a good Fender amp with reverb. I've used a compressor, analog delay, and a Blues Driver (minimal gain), but eventually realized that nothing could beat that guitar directly into an amp sound (for me).

I play occasionally in Brooklyn and I must say that it's very different there. For Country and Roots style of music it's straight into an amp or very limited effects. If you ever get to NYC, check out Jim Campilongo and you will hear every tone (all good) imaginable coming from an old tele directly into a Princeton Reverb with a 10 inch speaker. And yes, it's plenty loud.

I'm a little surprised by what you say. I've watched recent videos of guys like Kenny Vaughn and Daniel Donato playing at Robert's Western World in Nashville and it sure sounds like they are pretty much guitar into amp. Don't hear a lot of effects, but I could be wrong.

19. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

I don't recall ever seeing Redd Volkaert use a pedal when he was playing places
    in Nashville. It was just Tele into Deluxe Reverb or small Peavey (Bandit?).
    He played or still plays a more traditional style though which doesn't really
    need pedal effect.

I did see a recent add in VG for a Reddverb pedal which they say he likes
    and uses now.

20. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Rarely. My pedalboard is my security blanket. Yeah, I could do it, but I usually run into a clean amp and want a dirt pedal, delay and a little modulation. And a tuner, and a volume pedal... Having said that, I played for years straight into an amp back in the '70's. But for the music I currently play, I need some effects.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.