anyone getting the neural QUAD CORE?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by jageya, May 11, 2021.

1. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

Just curious. $1600 but offers alot..has bugs but may bet better with time and updates.

2. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I might have got one, but since they are back ordered I went with the Kemper. I’m happy with my choice so far. But I’m sure it’ll be a great unit.

3. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

they are having power supply issues on ones that have been shipped. while this unit looks nice its far to young to really invest 1600 into vs getting others with proven track records to me.

4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

I thought the stomp switches doubling as adjustment knobs was cool- but not $1600 cool

5. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

yes that feature was excellent as was the large touchscreen but 1600.00?? its not proven yet and already has power supply issues on ones sent out

6. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

Can someone please A-B that against a Katana whatever ( or a something else modeller , and I have no idea what that might be?) and let us know if the price is likely worth it or not?

7. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

HUH?...its a new modeler with issues. Its not a modeling amp.

That Cal Webway likes this.
  8. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

yep

but what's a modeling amp if not simply a modeler with a speaker

9. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’m in the Helix camp here. I didn’t love Line 6’s previous products (other than that delay modeler), but the Helix is a game changer in their lineup.

Southpaw Tele and codamedia like this.
  10. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

i use a line6 spider valve mk2 2-12 combo i really like.It has the tube power section that really adds dynamics to the models.To me its the power section that really makes a modeler more tubelike when playing moreso then the actual preamps as i think the preamps have been pretty good in modeling for years but modeling of the tube power section is still not there with solid state and dsp. I wish line 6 would create a helix preamp section with a real tube amp power section in a vetta style 2-12 combo.

mkdaws32 likes this.
  11. Newbcaster

Newbcaster Tele-Holic

im on the list, but was misled by sales guy. quuad corex doesnt capture delay or reverb pedals.... which sucks

12. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Time will tell, but as cool as that feature is there is no way I would feel comfortable stomping on something that doubles as an encoder. I'm hoping it's something that turns out to be a reliable option - but it's far to early for me to gamble on it.

13. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I watched a video about this thing, A/Bed with a Kemper, and it seemed like a pretty cool device and concept. I also thought the stomp switch/encoder sounded pretty slick but also prone to failure and pretty critical to operation of the unit.

Where I get off the bus on devices like this is, I don’t want to switch through a bunch of sounds, so the touch screens and multiple stomp switches for patches are wasted on me. I want a self-contained portable box that can do all my tone-shaping, from compression on through gain and EQ and any FX (I use them sparingly) to a line-level output. But I set up one sound and use that, varying my picking and guitar knob settings for tonal variation. So I think the Helix/Quad Core type of deal with all the switches taking up real estate is neat, but aimed at a different playing mindset.

14. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

My Helix LT has plenty of processing power (although, some of the new effects they added with 3.0 do drain DSP). It also has a built in expression pedal, great updates on a regular basis, and a proven track record. I cannot justify jumping into a newer platform for that much money. It’s like buying a new model of car. We bought a Chrysler Town and Country in ‘08 when they made a change to a new model and it was lemon city.

codamedia likes this.
  15. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

its a new item and needs its quirks worked out and updates rto catch up with the others so maybe in 6 months to a year we will see where it is at.

Southpaw Tele and codamedia like this.
  16. ASATKat

ASATKat Friend of Leo's

Why is it that when I sit down with a line 6 or the Kemper, or Fractal, and I suspect Neural, that I find myself tweaking forever, more tweak less play. I'll pick on Kemper since it is the best sounding unit of all and I've owned one. The Kemper has a 3d quality that is always there regardless of how you tweak. But the tweaking is so vast that I fall down rabbit holes or get overwhelmed. I never had the feeling "this is it", It was always "I could tweak this better". Then I had to sell it for non musical reasons, I never tried Michael Britt's profiles or the other great tone sculptures.

I so much wanted Kemper to come out with a combo amp, around the Deluxe size. That is the best for playing, old school, guitar/amp, with Kemper Light, no profiling, less rabbit holes, it would work like any amp for the most part. But it never happened, none of the big guys thought that an amp would be a good idea.

Then Boss and Roland did something unheard of. With WAZA technology inside, they put out the much requested small amps. First was their Cube amps that became loved by many, even Robben Ford.
    But the price was steep and the amp only had an average response, mostly because people didn't know the Cubes.

That all changed with the introduction of the Katana series. This amp caught on like wildfire. It sounded as good as the big boys even though onboard tweaking was greatly limited. The great thing to me was it was hard, literally hard to get a bad tone. And the amp has tone knobs that really do shape the sound. I can get the best SRV tones I've ever gotten. It was designed to drastically sculpt the sound. For example, in the Lead mode I can easily dial in a very authentic I Need Your Love Peter Green tone, and with the gain, bass, mids, and treble, same mode, I can get SRV's Voodoo Child and Jimi's Voodoo Chile tones.

The thing that really sold the amp was the price, my Kat 2, 100w cost $350. It was a brilliant move to lower the price, then there was the YT videos of how great it sounded. it became a top seller. The amp should be in the $650-$750 range or more, but Boss had other plans, and I thought it was brilliant.

FenderLover likes this.
  17. FenderLover

FenderLover Poster Extraordinaire

I still haven't jumped on the modelling train, but appreciate your comments on the Katana. Fender did the 'frozen model' thing with their Deluxe and Twin Tone Masters, and get considerably more for them than the tweakable Katana. Some of us said they should be priced at a lower price point because there was nothing to the construction of the amp. Others said prices were justified for silly reasons, lack of manufacturing experience being one. The Katana is proof that Fender can sell their Deluxe and Twin Tone Masters for much less and still make money.

Alas, Fender doesn't need to. It isn't a mystery that the Twin has a larger cabinet and a second (expensive) speaker, and costs about the same as the Deluxe model. Sometimes less if you look around.

I have used the term disposable-consumer-crap before, and it is more a description of reality to me than a derogatory term that some people read it as. I would much rather throw away an unrepairable Katana than an unrepairable Twin at twice the price. And I'm one who doesn't mind spending money on gear. I thought I'd have a Kemper by now, but I'm afraid of the rabbit hole of which you speak. It'll suck me right in.

18. jageya

jageya Tele-Holic

there should be a tonemaster head versions for alot less.Many have thier own cabinets. I remember when the cybertwin and mustangs had heads. The gtx100 doesnt which is lame. Imaging a gtx100 head in stereo50/50 for like 350.00
    The tonmaster amps are pure moneymakers for fender banking on older guys with bad backs who have the $$ to spend.Like corvettes and porsches.
    I remember when modeling AMPS were the thing..vetta..cybertwin..spidervalve(brilliant concept) but these companies now all want to do floorboards and even line6 says to do a helix amp it would cost like 3k or more. Dont know why but they keep making spiders(non tube) at cheap prices and still not using the helix algo's why? Thier next spider things just HAS TO use helix modeling...i would guess.
    Vox had the market with the "blue" valvetronix vtx amps at one point but have gone backwards in modeling since which makes me shake my head. They could have taken that market by storm years later but didnt/doesnt.
    I guess i dont understand kemper. I like the stage look but does it have amp models and really goof effects in it? I thought it was for someone to record a snapshot of thier amp at one point in time and heard that mucking with the parameters of the amp arent really possible after that? is that true?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.