1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone ever use this amp?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gatorfiend, Jan 6, 2014.

1. gatorfiend

gatorfiend Tele-Meister

2. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Never played one, from what I've read they were not too reliable, maybe that's why you don't see many of them around or hear much about them.

3. Ian

Ian Tele-Afflicted

I heard they chewed threw Tubes like gum.

4. gatorfiend

gatorfiend Tele-Meister

Thanks fellers.

5. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

i think they're pretty cool amps... definitely a whole different side of what was going on with amp making back then. sounded kinda blah to me... but i'm a diehard fender guy, so take that with a grain of salt. i'm surprised the vintage amp guys haven't latched onto this one yet

6. Chritty

Chritty Tele-Afflicted

Our lead guitarist borrowed one for a few gigs whilst his other one was being repaired. It sounded a lot better than his SS Hiwatt. It did have a terrible buzz that needed attention though. I really liked the amp but mostly on coolness factor.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yup.
    Guitar Rez sold em' when they were new.
    They sound good, and are very versatile.
    I don't know how gig worthy they are, personally, but my friend
    Dave, who worked at Rez, gigged with his.
    Seymour D. doesn't put his name on junk.
    $300 sounds reasonable, IMO.

8. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Those were great amps. Very versatile and sounded really nice. I know a few people that owned them, one of them was a great jazz player here in my area. His was stolen - and very upset about that because you can't find them anymore.

I never owned one myself, so I cannot comment about reliability. If I recall - they are quite heavy to lift for a 1/12.

9. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

The Duncan Convertibles were ahead of their time, with switchable modules that let the player select the sounds of the channels. There were low-gain, Fender-like modules, higher gain Marshally ones, etc. The modules are no longer produced and in somewhat short supply. They have become something of a collectors item.

I played a Convertible for an audition once, it was the room amp at the rehearsal room. I got a good crunchy sound similar to my usual JCM800 out of it. I tried Convertibles on several occasions in music stores, but I've never really been one for channel-switching amps, so they were over kill for me.

Back in the mid-eighties Jeff Beck was an endorser in mgazine ads. I saw Convertibles on a couple concert stages: Vinnie Zummo played one with Joe Jackson on the Big World tour. I also saw Rick Derringer playing one with Rosie Vela in 1986.

$300 seems like a fair price for that amp, but keep in mind it's more of a collector's item than a player's amp. There is a market for the modules as well, but if you sell them off, the amp's useless. Also, before buying, make sure it has a full complement of modules; even better, it might come with a few spares.

If you want to know more, check out the Amp Room at the Seymour Duncan User's Group forum. Search the forum first, there are several past discussions on these amps.

10. Beatbx

Beatbx Tele-Meister

I read in an interview that Kevin Shields used one on parts of 'Loveless.'

11. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

It's a long story, but I once slept on a stage overnight guarding the backline of a reggae band who got their dates wrong and got to town too late to play the gig. But they said they'd do a full show the next night if someone would guard their gear. I happened to have my sleeping bag in my car and someone found an old mattress for me to sleep on.

I was right in front of the guitarist's SD Convertible amp. He took his guitar to the hotel and I didn't have time to go get my guitar, so I didn't get to check it out first hand. I do remember it sounding quite good at the show. Those amps always make me think of that night.

12. Jim Dep

Jim Dep Friend of Leo's

Hey Paul, that wasn't at Linden's was it?

13. gatorfiend

gatorfiend Tele-Meister

Wow. Thanks everyone. I figured, as someone said above, he wouldn't put his name on junk. Again I just never knew he made amps.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.