Anyone Ever Try This?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by nojazzhere, Nov 1, 2019.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I'll have to try that some time.....interesting idea.
    BTW.....I thought you were great in Plan 9 From Outer Space......

2. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

@nojazzhere , I'm not sure I can be of any help, because I don't experience that problem with any of my teles.

Since my bypass surgery I gig sitting down (always stood before :(), but even when I do stand, no neck dive. And my two most recent teles, my Logan Custom "Firecasters" (the two teles on the right in the pic below) are both chambered and lightweight, as in 6 lbs. 3 oz. and 5 lbs. 10 oz., respectively. I don't know what Bob Logan did to balance them so perfectly, but they're lightweight and great.
    10-20-2019 - Logan Custom collection.jpg

Perhaps the straps have something to do with it as well. I have three custom made leather straps to go with my custom made teles. My best friend is a guy I've known for 51 years, and for as long as I've known him, carving leather has been his hobby. So over the years I've had him make leather straps for my teles; they're each measured to my specifications, and are not only great looking but do exactly what I need them to.
    07-15-2019 - Me with my Firecaster II tele & strap.jpg

Oh, and good looking tele (except for the strap button extender thingy, of course :twisted:)!

El Tele Lobo and nojazzhere like this.
  3. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

If the dowel can be finished in burst, I want one!

magic smoke likes this.
  4. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

on my neck heavy builds, I've always had good luck moving both strap buttons forward about an inch. the rear button will be an inch higher, which lowers its upward torque. and the front button will be angled in towards the neck, giving it a little upward torque to offset the neck dive. makes a lot of difference. as functional as your dowel trick might be... that's a bit too weird for me

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. nojazzhere

I'm getting a little tired of you showing off all your beautiful guitars, Larry......;) (just kidding)
    Since you hadn't commented, I wondered if you had seen my first post on this guitar, "First "Build" Finally Done"......this is the one I mentioned I was assembling, with the Bootstrap Pickups Pretzel pickups. They are glorious, especially the bridge p/up. The total weight is 5lbs. 3oz. I don't have Bob Logan's expertise, so I don't know why this one doesn't "balance" like his do.
    AND to anyone still paying attention, the big wood dowel thing is gone. I tried a slender, hollow chrome rod about the same length, and it sorta worked, (and a lot more inconspicuous) but it's gone, too. I went back to "normal", and I'm gonna just try and get used to it. If I ever try to build one again, (which I doubt I will) I'll just try with a slightly heavier body. Maybe a hair over 6lbs. like yours you mention. Check out the original post if you can.......and THANKS to all for suggestions.

LGOberean likes this.
  6. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Uhhhggggg! That does look terrible, and I don’t think any amount of turning it on a lathe would help it for me. I do understand the need for utility, but I would try the tire weights to weigh down the body as suggested above. But I have no back or neck issues and a guitar on the heavy side doesn’t bother me over the course of a gig.

But the music is king! Do what you must to play on!

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

carve the dowel into a phallus.mucho mojo.the ladies will love it!

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Okay, I must've missed the "Finally Done" thread, so I just looked it up. I haven't read the whole thread yet, I just read your original post there, checked out the pics and skimmed the rest. I say again, I like the look. Before I read why the bridge pickup had a reverse angle, I wondered about that. And I guess I still do, from the standpoint of how that "Pretzel" bridge pickup sounds. You said the pickups "sparkle." Does that reverse slant moderate the highs, that you can tell?

Oh, and cool first name, and name for the headstock logo! :cool: My first name is pretty plain, except for the reason my Dad gave me that moniker. I was named after Lorenzo Pietro Berra, better known as Yogi Berra. Of course, in English, Lorenzo is Lawrence, from whence cometh Larry. As for my middle name, it's Gene, which was my Dad's middle name.

El Tele Lobo and nojazzhere like this.
  9. nojazzhere

With regards to bridge pickup slant.....I've wanted to try this for a while. I've never gotten along with the bridge p/up by itself on a Telecaster, it's usually too trebly and harsh. But I've also never had the Bootstrap Pretzel pickup on anything, so I hesitate to state "for sure" why it sounds so good....it just does. Maybe someday I'll try the Pretzel on my other Tele, with its "normal" bridge, and that might narrow down the "magic". I'm still "fiddling" with pickup heights to try and "optimize".....plus getting used to the slight neck dive. I hope to gig with this one, but I need to be comfortable with the guitar to do that. Anyway....I AM pleased with the way the finish turned out. I've already ordered and received some CTS pots to upgrade the cheap ones I initially put in. I imagine Bob took care of stuff like that for you on yours. ;)
    OH! and cool about being named for Yogi Berra. People love to mock him for many of his "Berra-isms", but many of them ring true. I especially like "It ain't over 'til it's over".....so, never quit to the very end! :)

LGOberean likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.