Anyone Ever Try This?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by nojazzhere, Nov 1, 2019.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I recently posted a thread about my first build. (cleverly titled "First Build Finally Done) and was very pleased that the total weight came out at a hair over five pounds. But I discovered a downside to the light weight.....NECK DIVE! I've been playing it mostly while seated, but when I went to stand, with a strap, it became a little tricky. Not impossible, and I MIGHT get used to compensating, but I thought there might be a better solution. I googled "strap button extenders" and a few variations, and a number of pictures came up, but nothing I could find for sale. So, I decided to try something on my own. It's a rough "prototype" but initially it seems to work. I took a 1 1/4" dowel, cut off about a 1 3/4" piece, drilled a hole more or less through the center, and screwed it to the guitar with a strap button on the end. It looks ugly, and I kinda hate changing a Tele's silhouette, but as has been said, "necessity is a mother!"
    I don't have a lathe, or I would try to "turn" it into something a little more attractive, and I still might attempt using a drill in a vise to do something along those lines, but until I do that, it seems to be functional.......THOUGHTS???????? SUGGESTIONS??????? MOCKING COMMENTS?????? ;) 136.JPG 137.JPG 138.JPG

2. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

Just get a strap that has rough leather on the backside, that should stop the diving. And take that off your Tele, that's just plain ugly. :eek:

3. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Hey, whatever works...

nojazzhere likes this.
  4. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

How about attaching the strap to the headstock, like some do on an acoustic?

Fretting out likes this.
  5. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

I just love rough leather on my backside............

6. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

Maybe attach the strap button to the back near the heel like on an sg

Or move the strap button on the bottom of the guitar till it is balanced

nojazzhere likes this.
  7. Gratusin

Gratusin TDPRI Member

You could also pop some tire balancing weights in to the control cavity to put a little extra weight on the body side. Also, Dunlop strap locks stick out quite a bit, will look a little cleaner than a dowel.

Bergy, kbold and nojazzhere like this.
  8. Fretting out

Fretting out Friend of Leo's

I just read the part about the drill in the vice as a lathe
    Just remember to have the camera running when you try that one ;)

9. nojazzhere

Near the heel would be worse. The only issue I ever had with my double cut 1960 Les Paul Jr was a slight neck dive. (with the strap button at the heel) I finally figured out moving the strap button to the upper horn solved that problem. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
    I agree it's ugly, but I want to be able to gig with this guitar. Please remember...this is a prototype....I'm hoping to come up with something more attractive.

Fretting out likes this.
  10. nojazzhere

Some of you guys are just sick puppies! ;)

LGOberean, Wrighty and Greggorios like this.
  11. kbold

kbold Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I've had the same problem with one Tele clone (that I've previously mentioned) build with light wood.
    The "nerdy looking " extension will overcome the neck-dive, but will move the centre of gravity even further up the neck (a problem you would already be having due to the light body - i.e. guitar is resting on you above the body contour).
    I recommend adding weight to the lower end of the body (as per Post#7), although you may not have enough room in a standard control cavity to overcome this.
    One recommendation I heard mentioned previously, was to add a weight to the end of your strap. This sounds like a solution, but I have not tried it. IMO it seems the weight would need to be secured to the strap button to weigh down the bottom of the body.

We're getting into "super nerdy" territory here with an upper strap button extension and a lower strap button ball-bag weight. It would certainly be a conversation starter, but I doubt it would become a trend.

bcorig and nojazzhere like this.
  12. kbold

One option, since it's a prototype, is to route out sections of the lower half of the body and replace the routed areas with a heavier wood (e.g. oak). This could be done artistically (checkerboard, jigsaw pattern, etc) or simply (drilled out). I saw a Sandberg bass with a jigsaw patterned body - looked very nice.

You could at the same time drill out or otherwise remove some wood underneath the pickguard (upper half of the body).

13. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

This is part of why I prefer heel-adjust truss rods...

TeleTown likes this.
  14. nojazzhere

The whole point to using lightweight paulownia was to REDUCE the weight! I already have my 8lb. Telecaster....I was attempting to make something more comfortable, especially on a longer gig.
    The strap button is the prototype....NOT the entire guitar! ;)

15. kbold

Compensating .... you could try bending your left leg slightly, so you are leaning over at an angle.
    PRO'S: This will overcome the neck dive. You will look really cool.
    CON'S: Your left leg may start to ache after a short time.

pixeljammer likes this.
  16. bcorig

bcorig Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

That is downright ugly

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. kbold

The added weight of heavier wood to the lower half would be compensated by the removal of wood underneath the pickguard (upper half of the body), so the thought was to reposition the centre of gravity, not to add weight.
    Perhaps an simpler option is to route out at the back of the lower body and add weight (and finish by covering with a suitable plate), and remove weight by drilling out below the pickguard.

18. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Sit down and pick man. Don't shame your tele that way.....

preactor and nojazzhere like this.
  19. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

?

nojazzhere likes this.
  20. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I went through that with an Epiphone P93 Riviera a few years ago...neck dive city, like a divining rod.

You are on the right track by shifting the weight balance, but that is a bit ugly. Try removing some weight at the headstock (lighter tuners) and maybe just relocating the strap pin rather than extending it? Neck drive is just one of those caveats to a light body and long scale necks...especially with truss rods and fat necks. Still, it can be conquered. My latest build is with antique pine and there is no neck dive even with a Baja neck attached to it. Go with the heaviest bridge you can find, lighter tuners, and an electrosocket to try and push the weight distribution back a little. You will still have a light instrument...just better balanced.

Or, just play seated.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.