1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone ever take out a loan for a guitar?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by MountainTwang, Mar 1, 2019.

1. MountainTwang

MountainTwang TDPRI Member

I'm looking at a vintage Martin. It's a great deal and all that. Problem is, I just don't have the cash. Has anyone ever taken out a personal loan for a guitar purchase? I'm going back and forth on this. I feel like if I wait to save up the money, the guitar will be long gone.

nojazzhere likes this.
  2. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

You only live once, enjoy life and go for it;)

deputydog likes this.
  3. Wildcard_35

Wildcard_35 Tele-Meister

Yep. I did when I got my Trussart. Just paid it off a month or so ago! I had them deduct from my account automatically every month for...a while. Money well spent, in my opinion!

4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

As I mentioned a few days ago, my folks loaned me $30 to buy my first amp (Alamo Capri) when I was twelve or thirteen. Took me a couple months to repay, but I did.....they didn't even charge me interest!

Jim622, beagle and Fiesta Red like this.
  5. Seasicksailor

Seasicksailor Friend of Leo's

In my own strictly personal opinion, never borrow money unless it's a matter of life and death.

6. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

My wife and I came to an agreement many years ago. If I don’t have the cash, I don’t buy the instrument.

The only addendum is if I run across a “Holy Grail” item at a super-stupid-cheap price...like the time I found an original blackface ‘67 Deluxe Reverb for $75 at a pawn shop...and (being responsible) I didn’t get it because I wasn’t sure if we were going to be able to pay the utilities bills that month. I borrowed the cash and went back the next day. It was gone.

7. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

If I were to ever borrow money to buy a guitar, it would only be from an investment point of view. Sure I would play it and enjoy it, but something such as the one you’re describing. Martins are like the Rolex’s of guitars. They always seem to hold their value. The Nazareth ones, this is.

8. cnlbb

cnlbb Tele-Afflicted

Work out what you'll end up paying in interest, be realistic about how long it'll take for you to pay it off, and then decide if it's still a great deal.

OldDude2, matrix, Pualee and 3 others like this.
  9. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I had a store account when I was 14yo. Everything guitar related was purchased using it. Thankfully it was interest free and the owner was a good guy. I paid something off it each month, sometimes a small amount, sometimes lots depending on how much work I got.
    In todays world I wouldn't recommend borrowing for gear from a random store or lender.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I did a long time ago when I got my first credit card. I ended up having to sell most of them in an attempt to pay off the debt I had run up.

Now, it's cash only.

Milspec and Pualee like this.
  11. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I have never done that. My brother took out a loan to buy a Ferrari automobile that cost as much as a house. That car is long gone and he didn't make a profit on it.

You didn't give much detail over the size of the loan etc. I probably would not do it, because I an not THAT crazy about guitars. My little 1974 Yamaha acoustic is good enough for me.

On the other hand - I once saw the most beautiful second-hand Framus Star Bass on display in a shop window. It cost as much as I made in two weeks (about 100$ now). I wanted it very much, and asked if the shop would hold it for me. Absolutely not! I would gladly have taken a loan at that moment. Went back the following week but it was gone!

Harry Styron likes this.
  12. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

while I generally agree with the idea that you only have one bite on the apple, the OP hasn't included enough background info.

borrowing money is not a great habit, but can be very useful, IMO.

I've raised 3 kids. When I was 38 and contemplating what it might cost to send all 3 through university, I would have considered borrowing money for a guitar as a dereliction of duty, given my circumstances. Just my view.

The thing is, you never know what's coming up next and maybe all of the sudden you need money for medical expenses or some other family emergency and what? you owe money for a guitar? And the guitar gets sold on the cheap, because you need cash now. that's a downside.

OTOH, if you be single and otherwise unencumbered or only slightly cumbered...ain't necessarily any big deal.

My approach is to save money in advance, wait for the right opportunity and then enjoy it, free and clear. Last time I checked there were still thousands and thousands of guitars out there.

13. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Nice guitars come around plenty.
    Personally, I would save up the money and buy the next nice one.

14. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

thats when my gear priorities change,,and things go to get the what im looking at. gear is going down but quality way up last year or so..right now am negotiating for a marshall bluesbreaker and just keep adding things i dont use..getting close i hope,,just tossed 4x12 cab loaded with very good speakers. it might kick him over

15. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Sure.
    Lots of times, lots of years ago.
    If your other responsibilities don’t interfere, Give er’, as they say!

16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Was the Deluxe Reverb at a Cash America in Wedgewood back in the nineties? A buddy found a 1967 BF there for $100.....didn't even try to negotiate, just snapped it up!;)

17. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

When I had just finished college I recorded an acoustic record for a very small label that ended up selling more copies than I thought it would. I had been in a fairly successful rock band for a few years that broke up after being dropped from a big label.

I had no money at all and had borrowed a guitar from my dad to make this record and had to buy one. I pulled together about $500 and just wanted a Yamahahaha or something.

I walked into EU Wulrlitzer, this was one of their small stores when they had become a chain before going under, and there was a 1959 Martin 00-21 for $1200. At that time that was a very good deal on that model and it had the OHSC and was the Brazilian rosewood, 12 fret slotted head model - i.e. the Blood on the Tracks guitar.

I applied for their credit card and probably paid a ton in interest but I got the guitar and have recorded it on tons and tons of records. Plus it's my fav couch guitar.

Here it is in the background:

[​IMG]

18. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

If it's a vital household appliance, credit will be considered as a last resort, otherwise I save up the folding beer vouchers.

nojazzhere, teletimetx and noah330 like this.
  19. flathd

flathd Poster Extraordinaire

No loan, but I've used the credit cards. I guess that would be more of a higher interest "Impulse loan."

EDIT: It was too good a deal to pass up! :rolleyes:

20. john_t

john_t Tele-Meister

I wouldn't do it. It just seems wrong on so many levels. If you don't have enough income/cash to buy an expensive guitar, you should not buy it. You may need to take an emergency loan for a much higher priority: an unexpected health issue, losing a job, etc. The universe will find you another one when you have enough cash saved for it.

howardlo, JuneauMike and Wallo Tweed like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.