Anyone ever sold anything on Reverb?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Hendrixlvr, Jun 19, 2021.

1. Hendrixlvr

Hendrixlvr Tele-Holic

I’m selling a pedal on reverb for the first time and just had someone make me an offer. Not sure where to go from here. He offered me 300 plus $50 shipping so does that mean he will send me $350? If I accept does he pay everything up front and then I ship to whatever address he gives?
    TIA for any info

northernguitar likes this.
  2. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

No. No one has ever sold anything on Reverb............:D

3. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

Yes, if you accept offer, you will be sent $350, minus whatever cut Reverb takes.

sotob, VillainSean and Hendrixlvr like this.
  4. Torren61

Torren61 Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Yes. $350 total. Plus, he'll have to pay tax. You'll get the money up front and Reverb will tell you when the money is cleared and you can ship.

VillainSean and Hendrixlvr like this.
  5. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

It's been a while, I used to occasionally sell on Reverb before they required the seller to link their bank account, I never had any issues selling there, just don't sell that much and I don't want to link my account there.

6. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

i think you shouldve read up on how to sell something on reverb...im sure there are instructions on how to do so...you should learn just so you dont lose out on fees and get the most out of your sale

7. Levitamin

Levitamin TDPRI Member

I sell there all the time. It’s so much better than eBay ever was. They give you discounts on shipping and don’t take as large of a cut.

Marc Morfei and northernguitar like this.
  8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Bought a few things, and it went remarkably well. Never sold anything, though.

Bassman8 and northernguitar like this.
  9. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Reverb will tell when it clears. They will give you discounts on shipping. They will take their cut and leave you with the rest. the buyer pays the tax.

Hendrixlvr and northernguitar like this.
  10. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

That may be your experience but not true for everyone, I think the fees are about the same for eBay and Reverb in face eBay may be less now since Etsy bought Reverb the fees went up.
    Generally I got better results selling on eBay more exposure , eBay offers shipping discounts too.
    Whatever works for you is fine, to me a LOT of the items that I see posted on Reverb seem way overpriced.

11. _MementoMori_

_MementoMori_ Tele-Afflicted

Reverb is my preferred site for online music gear purchases, but I've never sold there. I've also never had a bad experience on Reverb, unlike some people.

northernguitar likes this.
  12. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Poster Extraordinaire

I want to point out that reverb will give you an 'ok to ship, funds have cleared' message, they don't actually transfer your funds immediately.

Look into it, but I think new sellers have to wait until the item arrives at its destination.

Sellers with more sales history have their funds transferred when they give the item to the shipper and it is in the shippers tracking system as 'received' not just 'label generated.'

13. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

Actually eBay fees are less for musical instruments at 5.85% with discounted shipping as well. Reverb takes 7.7%. I still prefer selling and buying on Reverb, however, and have had nothing but great experiences.

beyer160 likes this.
  14. jays0n

jays0n Tele-Holic

They generally clear the money to transfer to your account once the post office record that they scanned it in. You will get a notice about it, but it still takes some time to get into your account.

Here is an example of the fees etc. for some pickups i sold recently. I listed em for $250 and $7 for shipping.

Subtotal $250.00
    Shipping$7.00

Tax (WA)
    Remitted by Reverb $22.36

Total (paid by buyer)

$279.36USD

Total Processing Fees: -$7.79USD
    Total Selling Fees: -$12.85USD
    Total Tax Remitted: -$22.36USD
    Total Bump Fees: -$3.86USD
    Total Shipping Label Fees: -$18.87USD

Payout amount (to my bank account) $213.63

Fees are higher than Ebay, I am pretty sure, but there is more of a chance you are dealing with a musician or shop and not some nut job or scammer. So, I do reverb for larger $$$ items if I want to sell something, and just put up with the fees.

15. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

Reverb, for me, is a far superior selling experience than is eVilbay. Even with the discounted shipping on Reverb, shipping apps like Shippo can save an additional 10-20% on shipping with UPS or Fedex. YMMV

16. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

Yes, that’s basically how it works. I’ve sold 4 guitars on reverb and it’s very user friendly.

1. The buyer pays you

2. After the buyer pays, wait until reverb sends you notification that the payment has cleared before shipping it.

3. Reverb will hold onto whatever $ is due to you until you actually ship the item.

4. Once the carrier scans the tracking barcode on the shipping label, reverb will release your $ to you within 1-3 business days.

They need proof that it was shipped before you get your $, so as to protect buyers basically.

17. Hiker

Hiker Poster Extraordinaire

350. If all buyers on Reverb were also sellers, we would experience a bit more patience and understanding from the crowd.

18. beyer160

beyer160 Friend of Leo's

On a $500 sale, the 1.85% fee difference comes out to about $9. To me, it's worth it. Reverb has a smaller, but more specialized customer base.

I just had my first "issue" with a Reverb purchase. I bought a guitar from the other side of the US and when it got to my state, UPS said they were returning to sender because of a problem with the label. However... they didn't actually send it back to the seller, for some reason they sent it to Reverb's office in Chicago. Maybe that was all that was legible on the damaged tag, I dunno. Reverb assigned me a customer service rep who kept me updated, and issued a new shipping tag at no charge after they received it.

19. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

Ive sold and bought a lot on Reverb. I love it.

20. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

Never sold, but I bought the VFE Old School Tremolo from Mike Hermans (that he demo’ed.)
    Sadly, I’m a gear-nut and sold it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.