Anyone ever press 45s?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by wetland10, Jul 15, 2009.

1. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I was thinking that there must be companies that press and duplicate 45s. I thought it would be a cool idea to have a "single" for our new upcoming album and if the price was right it could be cool to press a bunch of 45s.

Anyone know of places that handle this?

Thanks,
    Wayne

2. Ben Harmless

Ben Harmless Friend of Leo's

Not only are there companies doing vinyl, but there are companies doing really cool things with it. My sometimes band released a 6-song "Pizza Crisis EP" about 6 months ago on transparent vinyl, and we did all our own art for it. Very cool.

I don't know who we actually had do it, because there are a variety of different places and our drummer took care of it (he has a small label of his own) but I know one of the more popular ones is United Record Pressing. We probably wouldn't use the one we went with again anyway. It took 'em forever to even get to out project, and we got the records the night before the release party - and that was after we delayed the release date.

My advice: You only live once. Get a pretty color. In the right quantity, you can get 'em pressed for about $2 per disk.

3. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

I had no idea it was more expensive than CDs, I guess that makes sense because of the process. Interesting idea though.

4. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

Well, that's not why. The last time I had 45s done CDs were up around $10 each when pressing 1000 units. So it's just reversing itself. Back then very few places did CDs and tons of places did vinyl. I think we were paying about $350 for 1000 45s. I could be off a bit there. Albums we had done were in the $2-3 range. I have no idea what they would cost now but I'm betting at least $5 each. Still not bad when you consider the audiophile grade albums....excuse me.....LPs are going for around $25.

If you want my opinion (few people do) I would not bother with 45s. The people like us that still play records would much rather spend the money for an LP than $5 for a 45. I would take Ben's example above and not do it unless you are doing more. I think ROI would make it worth your while.

Only a few of us even care about audio quality anymore. Mp3s are the scourge of audio but people are paying as much for a low quality downloads now as we did for an actual record way back in the olden days. And they don't care that they sound like crap. Personally I think digital can sound fine in RBCD or better (like the 44.1k-24bit I record with) but mp3s just sound awful. I understans their purpose and they do work for a quick draft easily passed around but for actual listening? Yuck.

Sorry, didn't mean to go so far off the deep end. But the reaosn 45s cost so much is that not many are still doing vinyl. Get 1000 CDs for $900 or 1000 45s for $2000? Yeah, I'd pass. Great intentions but poor choice economically. And really, unless you already are somebody what are the odds of really selling them?

5. wetland10

wetland10 Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, I was sort of thinking the same thing before I asked. I still enjoy listening to records, and can't stand listening to MP3s. But you are right, it isn't really worth it when you look at it. We will be pressing CDs, but are going to cut that back and have it available for DOWNLOAD. yeah I know, crappy sound, but so many people will click and download your album from ITunes, but not many are willing to buy one that will be delivered.

Wayne

6. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

I agree. It's like when I was giving lessons and over the years had students that you knew just didn't stand of chance of ever being decent players. My wife asked how I could put up with that and my answer was that there comes a point you just need to take the money and give them what they want. We don't have to like mp3s but they sure are easy to sell and it's what they want. Sounds like you have a good plan.

One other thing everybody is talking about is the download card. When i first saw them I thought it was for one song (and cost about $1 each!) but I guess they are for a whole album download. This seems ot be getting into tricky territory since, if you can sell them for $10 for people to go online and download your album, these are the people that would just buy a CD from you as well I think. The downloaders seem to be the one song at a time folks. I'd like to see some others opinions on that, though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.