1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone ever have a #3 or #4 guitar suddenly rise to #1?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by JL_LI, Mar 28, 2019.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

For the longest time, it was either my Tele or Strat at #1. That changed about 4 weeks ago. I was listening on YouTube and found Linda Ronstadt's cover of Jackson Brown's "Rock Me on the Water". The original featured JB on piano accompanying the vocal. Linda Ronstadt's version opened with guitar and guitar was the most prominent accompaniment. I tried my #1 and #2 playing finger style over a few days and didn't like what I was hearing. I brought out my Gretsch Anniversary. It was closer to what I was looking for. I picked up a pick on a whim and that was the sound. Refine settings a little, ditch the compressor, drive the amp to the edge of breakup and the sound was perfect. Kind of a late '60's sound. Funny that working out a good solo and intermezzos between verses was a lot easier when I was satisfied with my tone. I've had the Annie out for a month now and have been playing more songs with a pick and playing others finger style. I can't put her down. There's nothing I play that I can't play on her. I still like my Telecaster, especially the bridge pickup. There are Strat tones I like too. I'm not feeling it for my SG so much lately. I'm very comfortable with Annie. It's not that I'd consider selling the others, but Annie has become my #1. Love is fickle. I wonder how long it'll last.

2. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My choices for which guitar is #1 always hinge on what I'm playing. The 60s and 70s bands I'm in always end up with a Tele (but my new Danocaster has become the #1 Tele around here since I got it).

For my own band, I've always used some kind of Les Paul, since we do stuff that's a little on the heavier side. Due to my selling of my old Epi Custom, the battle for #1 rages on between my '82 LP Standard and my James Trussart Steeltop. Either one will get the job done, but the Steeltop has coil taps on both pickups, which gives me a little more sonic range.

- D

JL_LI likes this.
  3. Downshift

Downshift Tele-Holic

My very first electric guitar is a Stellar Mercury. Its a black beauty, les paul style guitar my mom bought me in the infancy of ebay for my birthday. I probably cost her $150-200. And after all these years, and all the guitars later, I'm still always surprised by how good it is. Its outlasted many custom shop and boutique guitars.

Its never been a number 1, but I still have it and play it, and that's saying something.

JL_LI likes this.
  4. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Sure, depending on a new project, or sometimes depending on one of those "Dang, I'd forgotten how sweet this sucker is!"

Mad Kiwi, JL_LI and Jim622 like this.
  5. Jim622

Jim622 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Moods change, the project/song dictates the axe.

Zepfan and JL_LI like this.
  6. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

think i have 9 #1's

StrangerNY, WireLine, Jim622 and 2 others like this.
  7. littlebadboy

littlebadboy Tele-Afflicted

I had a humble bunch of guitars. I had a #1, a #2, #3, and etc, in which the order changes now and then anyways. Until I realized that it is silly! I sold all but 2. A favorite guitar and a spare. Well, I kept a cheap 3rd as an experiment guitar to try out pickups and wirings.

JL_LI likes this.
  8. heltershelton

heltershelton Tele-Afflicted

forever my 87 strat plus was my #1.
    but then I built a couple warmoth teles....and the seafoam green one has snuck into that spot.
    received_1875554675838391.jpeg

stratoman1, StrangerNY and JL_LI like this.
  9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I have a "first string" roster of 5 guitars and the one I grab varies depending on mood and song.

JL_LI likes this.
  10. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yup.
    My avatar guitar was #1 for about 20 years.
    About 12 years ago I got my Chet.
    It took about 3 months for it to become #1.
    I dd not forsee throwing my old #1 over, but the Chet sounds WAY better, IMO.

Ricky D. and JL_LI like this.
  11. gitarjoe

gitarjoe Tele-Afflicted

I cycle through my collection. I usually go a few months on one, then pop out another

JL_LI likes this.
  12. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

No, but my PRS SE245 — still a great guitar — went from #1 to #3 when I bought my Telecaster and then my Jazzmaster. Those two have pretty much got equal claim to be #1.

JL_LI likes this.
  13. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Which guitar is #1 depends on the gig. I use different guitars for different things so it changes. Lately my cheapest guitars, MIM Strat and G&L Tribute have been #1's. But then again, I had the '52 RI Tele out on a date a few weeks before. I'm fickle!

JL_LI likes this.
  14. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

No, but did have that happen with Girlfriends:twisted:

JL_LI likes this.
  15. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

My Tele and my LP are co number 1 at the moment. That leaves a Strat, SG and 339. It surprised me to find the Strat on the bottom. For now anyway

JL_LI likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.