Anyone ever go to comment Jail on Youtube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
So what you are saying is...
"Freedom of choice" is really only if my choice agrees with the "host"? Imagine that! I am so surprised to learn this little nugget. :cool:

I think it may be even simpler than that: you can choose to stay--or leave.

Social media is generally viewed by the operators and users as an inclusive endeavor...but when you peek under the skirts, you discover is is exclusive.

Sorry about that "peek under the skirts" analogy. If I've offended you, wear pants instead ;)

Drew617

Tele-Holic
right, as someone who has been involved in punk, DIY, open source, etc...a whole bunch of things that are um, "prickly" to say the least, and not just in the private sphere but pushing up against the public sphere and the law as well, it's funny to me when someone cries 1984 at a big corporate service "censoring" something, hahaha. it looks a bit lazy IMHO, given the grassroots stuff across the entire spectrum of ideas that has historically had to take the law into their own hands, using the free market no less, to thrive/survive.

Literally my first thought was "publish a zine, then!" ...and develop original perspective and editorial, illustrate, ditto, mail it, and wait weeks for minimal feedback that won't be especially gratifying... and, and, and.

the "don't hate the player, hate the game" is really in full effect with the titanic internet services or providers. we have almost no viable way of ensuring public access or hosting (it's easier to get a public access TV show for god's sake), but that's a more macro problem than it is with their conduct, that we have entrusted this whole thing to be run by robber barons rather than treating it how utility companies came under the hammer in the past. now, i guess if you are arguing that we should state-regulate a google or a facebook like a gas/electric company or something and no longer treat them as free private entities, then that's a start. not one that i particularly agree with for a number of reasons (i'd prefer true public alternatives), but it's something.

This is it, really. At some scale or point along our current trajectory, it's totally possible that change may be required in order to maintain the freedom of communication we've enjoyed to this point. But watch out, Uncle 'Murrica - one of the more obvious moves is to socialize these private services that we've allowed to become embedded or necessary to our lives.

In any case, change won't be created in the problematic venue by people who misunderstand the rules that are in play now. The revolution won't be televised.

Telekarster

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I've got along my whole life without these social media companies, and will continue to do so. TDPRI is as close as I get to this sort of thing, and I find it acceptable because everyone is treated exactly the same out here i.e. they make it quite clear what is tolerated and what is not, no exceptions. Kudos to TDPRI I say! :cool: At the bottom of every page:

"IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here."

Booyah!:D

Novak

Tele-Meister
Not only that..you can go to comment jail here for talking about going to comment jail there
Must be like Fight Club......

papa32203

Tele-Afflicted
Bingo.

And if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all. Nobody cares to hear you get your agro out on others in order to get needed attention or release rage. This is what therapy and punching bags are for.

Wow. That's not very nice...

loopfinding

Friend of Leo's
...if the ISP will allow it....

Man you know, I really can’t comment on it here, but literally some of the most hateful websites I’ve ever heard of that actually incite real world violence have found a new webhost for their communities, retain their domains, and are accessible. Stuff that legitimately attracts the attention of three letter agencies and still operates.

What could y’all possibly be doing that’s so beyond the pale? I mean some of y’all need to take a step back. You’re not “the resistance” or “the rebels” in some cyberpunk novel.

Last edited:

bluesholyman

Friend of Leo's
For videos that I can't say anything good about, I simply move on. Too bad more people here can't embrace that philosophy.

And if you don't have anything good to say, don't say anything at all. Nobody cares to hear you get your agro out on others in order to get needed attention or release rage.

Perhaps we are speaking generally here, but in my specific case, I did not say anything bad about the video. Without going into too much detail, I poked fun at an individual in the video because of the situation they were in and in the process, called out the content creator to change their situation, which the content creator had the ability to do - it was most certainly the moderator of the content creator that sent me to youtube jail, probably over calling them out, but all in fun/jokingly.

This apparently put the content creator in an awkward position, especially since the 2nd party in the video was a very well known musician (this video was an interview of a well known musician.) If you put it together, I poked fun at the interviewer and suggested their bosses pay them more so they could buy more gear. The way I did it was all in fun and should clearly have been seen as that, but someone got a burr up their website and let me have it, most likely for "harassment" - that would be my guess at least.

To make it seemingly even more of an overreaction, the video had not yet been published, but could be reached via a link for those with early access.

So...here I sit in youtube comment jail over that. I think had they just deleted my comment and sent me a "hey, please don't do that" we'd all be fine. Just waiting for whoever it is at youtube to let me out of jail. At which point, I just won't comment anymore.

Wow. That's not very nice...

I didn't take it as being mean, just direct.

papa32203

Tele-Afflicted
[Qviolence real UOTE="loopfinding, post: 10887652, member: 69502"]Man you know, I really can’t comment on it here, but literally some of the most hateful websites I’ve ever heard of that actually incite real world have found a new webhost and retain their domains. Stuff that attracts the attention of three letter organizations and still operates. What could y’all possibly be doing that’s so beyond the pale? I mean really, take a step back, man.[/QUOTE]

..."can't comment on it here"...Then you go on to comment.
..."hateful websites"... In your opinion, at least.
..."actually incite real world violence"...You have some sort of proof to back up this "real world" claim as to cause and effect?

Last edited:

61fury

Friend of Leo's
That irony is on closer inspection just a display of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

The bigger irony is that the mass of repeated info on the net gets repeated by those with the least understanding and often becomes the predominating info on a complex subject.

Whether it's info like "alder is middy", or "moderation on private websites is censorship", those who know the least tend to repeat scripts the most.
And with unwavering confidence.

Reminds me of this truism, the origins of which turn out to be not true either.

https://quoteinvestigator.com/2014/07/13/truth/

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's
If by "the powers that be" you mean the un-moderated masses?

Well yeah, the ideal of social media with no moderation has problems that can't be fixed with slogans!
Either moderate for your agenda or accept all agendas.
But you can't really have no moderation plus only promote your own agenda!

What in the world are you talking about??? o_O

oregomike

Tele-Afflicted
I think everyone should view the YT comment section (like any other) as jail. You really don't want to find yourself there. It's the cesspool of human discourse.

telemnemonics

Telefied
Ad Free Member
What in the world are you talking about??? o_O

The fact that 1) promoting the ideal of un-moderated social media, 2) putting "your" money where your moth is and creating "your" own platform that features "your" ideal of no moderation or "censorship"; results in 3) "your" idealized platform being open to content that fails to support your formerly promoted "ideal" of no moderators censoring content actually being your ideal.
Depending of course on whose ideal was claimed as free for all, which in very few cases is truly about freedom.
Freedom on social media being the willingness to live with viewpoints you/ we find offensive.

"You" and "Your" being whoever might promote the ideal of social media platforms with no censoring of content and then create such a platform.

Two choices really:
Want to promote your agenda?
Which could be an ideology or it could be a TDPRI style cool place where folks treat each other with respect.
Moderate your site.

Want 100% freedom for all to post whatever they want?
Accept that a lot of the content will not be to your liking!

Status
Not open for further replies.