anyone ever get complaints over using a fog machine?

Discussion in 'Band Wagon' started by cyclopean, Dec 21, 2017.

1. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

the sound guy was worried that it would set off the fire alarm.

the last time we played out we got complaints about burning incense on stage.

2. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I hate them. They trigger some people's allergies and asthma. They make me choke. Not good when I'm trying to sing. I can see using one in a larger production, but at a club gig? No.

Chatnoir, kafka, Wildcard_35 and 7 others like this.
  3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

This.
    When the band I was in (years ago) used one, we got complaints at about half the venues we played.
    We didn’t use it long, about 6 months before we got rid of it.
    Those that hate em’, really hate em’.

4. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I certainly hope so.

5. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Meister

Nothing worse than being in small venue and the band gases you! And from an on stage perspective It isn’t good. I’ve been in a situation where I couldnt see my pedalboard. I guarantee you that was the first time someone covered iron maiden with an envelope filter engaged.

Keep it for the stadiums say.

6. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I don't care for them.
    I am always an equal partner when it comes to singing Lead Vocals and being a go-to back-up Vocalist in every band I'm in.
    I LOVE the Look but, they tear my Voice a new one.

7. codamedia

codamedia Friend of Leo's

We always got complaints when using them. Many club owners banned them, many patrons have threatened our lives for threatening theirs!

These things have always been advertised as safe but I've never understood how a poisonous liquid/chemical you are not suppose to drink becomes perfectly safe to inhale after it turns to gas. They never bothered me when I was young and healthy, but I can't stand being around one now. The long term effects concern me just as the long term effects of second hand smoke concern me. I've got 300+ nights a year for 15 years of that crud in my lungs! Thankfully smoking was banned about 15 years ago from most places I play, but the fog machine isn't!

That said, I love the effect they have on nice lighting setups, and the cloud "effect" on the stage never bothered me - I just learned to stand still when I couldn't see! I do wish there was a better way to achieve that.

8. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

Must be a city thing. Theres plenty of clubs around here that have bands, but I ve only seen a fog machine once, and that was a DC band that got booked once. Most of us just laughed when they turned on. "Hey Dumbasses youre not at the Cap Center (Hockey Rink) " someone yelled. They didn t use it after break.

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  9. tominwa

tominwa Tele-Meister

This is why I only travel with a bubble machine. It is attached to my petal board and with a tap can adjust the size of the bubbles, quantity etc for dramatic solos.

10. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Never used a fog machine.

I can tell you though, my wife catches crap from nearly every tight-a$$ in the universe every time she vapes in public.

I don't really get it;
    The vaping dealeo releases water vapor, and it's fairly sweet smelling at that.

But you would think that she was smoking crystal meth or something.
    :mad:

11. brookdalebill

My old travelin’ bar band did all it could do to be entertaining.
    Lots of PA, lights, fog machine, sound/light guy.
    We dressed for the stage, had good, roadworthy gear, and didn’t smoke, drink, eat, or swear onstage.
    We tried to behave professionally, in the hopes we would be treated like professionals.
    The leader demanded it.
    We all sang, played behind our back, with our teeth:eek::rolleyes:, into the cowd with wireless rigs and headset mics.
    We were trying (too hard) to be memorable, and employable.
    It worked.
    The one thing we didn’t do was polish the music.
    Kinda telling, IMO.

12. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Friend of Leo's

Endured a gig 25 years ago where one was used, my eyes were streaming within five minutes and I was coughing up my lungs five minutes after that. Have never done it since. This year the lighting guys turned up with one at the festival I organise the bands and run sound for. When I explained that I could not be in the same space as a smoke machine they agreed not to use it. As soon as it became dark I realised that they had set it up and were using it. I had one of my guys unplug it straight away, they won't be working on the event next year.

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Nope +1 on all the above, in fact the model rail road club I'm in now requires that the smoke units in all locomotives be switchable to "off" or you can't run it at a public display. It's the same tech on a smaller scale, the new fluid based units are much more powerful than the old 50's pellet style and two or three of them can easily fill a conference room to "pea soup" levels in 15 to 20 min. We do a lot of displays at childerens hospitals & retirement homes, not worth causing a problem.

beagle and Paul in Colorado like this.
  14. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

There are two types of fog (from what I've seen); one that blows all over the place and one that clings to the floor. Both interfere with seeing and using a pedalboard.

brookdalebill likes this.
  15. brookdalebill

One is also somewhat less toxic.
    Does anyone know which?

16. luckett

luckett Banned

Skip the fog machine and get an 18" Stonehenge.

craigio, RiverDog, kafka and 13 others like this.
  17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Do they still have dry ice fog machines?

18. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

19. Flyinlow

Flyinlow Tele-Meister

They make me wheezy. I still use one (sparingly) on occasion. It's a cool effect when we play Black Sabbath, or Down to the Waterline.

20. Zipslack

Zipslack Tele-Meister

Liquid-based fog machines use a Propylene Glycol (PG) fluid with a resistive element to heat it up into a vapor state. Almost the exact same technique used for vaping, except we use PG and Vegetable Glycerin (VG). Both compounds are considered safe for human ingestion by the FDA and has been for decades.

The fog and liquid are NOT poisonous or allergens. They are, however, anhydrous compounds. This means they absorb water from the environment. The "fog" is actually mostly water that was been attracted/absorbed by the vaporized PG. The problem is that when you breathe the fog, it also absorbs moisture from your body (nasal, mouth, larynx, etc) which can be irritating and definitely affects vocal cords. One of the first things you learn as a vaper is to drink plenty of liquids to replace the moisture absorbed during the vaping process.

Recap: it's not dangerous or poisonous; it will affect singing ability and could trigger asthma; it will make you look like posers.

Wildcard_35, 2blue2, songtalk and 3 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.