Anyone ever changed jobs...

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by swervinbob, Jul 16, 2021.

1. swervinbob

swervinbob Friend of Leo's

...and immediately think “Uh Oh! I screwed up!”

2. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Holic

yep, in 1973. I worked for a large electric utility and would have been transferred 150 miles away. I had a new (to me) house and my 2nd child on the way. So, I left the utility and took another job but it was 45 min away. The boss was an A-hole and it was hell. I almost got an ulcer (really). I quit and a month later was able to go back to my old employer. They would have paid for my move but now I had to pay that myself. I worked a full 30 year career and it was the best thing I could have ever done.

3. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Poster Extraordinaire

Me. I left for an exciting new position, started March 2, 2020. Please don't lock me just for naming a date, Mod.
    But the job was in all ways a promotion and a significant increase in salary.
    Within 3 weeks of start date my manager and my team were all laid off. It's been really disappointing and a big hit to my career. I wish I did not make the jump My 4th boss in 16 months is a narcissistic micromanager. The grass is not always greener.

4. swervinbob

swervinbob Friend of Leo's

I’ve never been real happy with the company I worked for. They never say no to any customer and I was always on call every third week. My boss quit and joined a small local company. I told him I’d go if I’m not on call all the time. He said to come on and if I’m not happy, I can move to the other department where they are only on call every 12 weeks. I came over and immediately got put in a 3 week call rotation and the other department doesn’t need another guy right now. I’m not sure what I have to do to get off being on call every third week.

And the other company, I’ve burned them several times in the last 20 years. I just get burned out and leave for a while. Not sure if they’d take me again.

5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Friend of Leo's

I switched spots ("laterally ") to another facility this year. It's a less difficult facility clientele-wise, but I dont like the job itself nearly as much. Also, my former position was changed, so its base pay rose about $8k a year compared to what I make in the current role.
    Annoying thing is how much more garbage has come up since I switched. In my old position, I would have been fighting getting written up about weekly, because my (multichannel) area couldn't hit metrics when my peers (brick and mortar) teams weren't on process.

I got tired of 1/3 of my day being solidifying my paper trail to fortify against people who couldn't be bothered to execute thier role in the company.

But my team was great, and I missed the money. But I'd been talking about leaving for a year, so it was certainly time.

But regrets or not, gotta jump before you can regret. Otherwise, you just regret not jumping......

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
  6. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Yes. I was unhappy where I was and got an offer that came out of nowhere. Thinking it was a sign from fate I jumped at it-classic out of the frying pan into the fire. Lesson learned-only take a job because you want that specific job, not because you don't want the one you're in!

Pualee, Greg70, Telekarster and 6 others like this.
  7. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Yes I needed to leave where I was in Northern VA but where I went was ridiculous. I got out in a few months. Worst boss ever, totally incompetent his only skill was intimidation.

swervinbob and Greggorios like this.
  8. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I think that thought runs through many a mind when they are guided to these yellow footprints by a friendly and helpful staff when they at their new job (it did mine)...

yellowfootprints.JPG

9. kingofdogs1950

kingofdogs1950 Tele-Afflicted

Oh yes.
    I was the store manager for a large Schwinn shop and life was too easy. I was bored.
    I took a job, also store manager, at a bike shop where I had worked before.
    It was a pro shop with all the goodies bikers love.
    Took me about a week to realize that I had made a terrible mistake.
    My new position was total chaos and just out of control.
    I went back to my old boss and asked for my job back.
    He said that I had done such a good job setting up the shop and hiring great staff that he wasn't going to hire another manager. Woof.
    It worked out ok, but I ended up going back to school in a year.

Mark

swervinbob likes this.
  10. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

Yes, not immediately but within a few months. Can't really go into the details ..too convoluted and very hard on the family.

swervinbob likes this.
  11. Tuneup

Tuneup Tele-Holic

My dad had a saying, the only good jobs are the last one and the next one.

12. Milspec

Milspec Poster Extraordinaire

Twice...the Marines as bgmacaw pointed out, and again as the Assistant Director of Security at a theme park.

I loved the theme park gig originally, but the Director retired 3 months into my service. The company owned several parks and sent their training Director to take over and train me to become the new Director. Training was supposed to take 6 months and then I would be interviewed by the brass for the promotion.

Well, the trainer hooked up with the 18 year old secretary and never taught me anything over those 6 months. He admitted to me that he liked it here and planned on staying as long as the wife didn't discover his affair. He told corporate that I wasn't ready for the Director job and would need more time.

The day came when his wife showed up to take her dirt bag husband to a surprise lunch only he was off grounds at the secretary's apartment. I never sold him out, but she figured it out on her own.

He blamed me for getting caught and started planting illegal items in my locker and reporting it to the corporate office. It didn't work, Corporate wasn't buying it, but I expected that the next step would be the guy reporting it to the local police instead, so I quit.

I moved out of state for that job, started over completely, only to run into a cheating husband desperate to keep his lifestyle. One of the most hostile workplaces I have ever run into and pure hell for over a year.

13. Manual Slim

Manual Slim Friend of Leo's

Every job I’ve ever taken has been a mistake. But they’re just jobs and as crappy as they were they did pay and that’s why I was there.

14. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

Yup. I was there 9 1/2 years before they fired me.
    Best thing that ever happened to me. I was at the previous job for 17 years.

swervinbob likes this.
  15. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

Nope.

Every job change I endeavored worked out really well in the end.
    Even the very worst ones.

I learned a lot from all of them.
    ;)

16. cpage86

cpage86 TDPRI Member

Yep. Been there. Totally awesome too when you're locked in due to a relocation contract. Not only does the job suck and your miserable, but you are stuck. Eventually you become disconnected and just count down the days.

swervinbob likes this.
  17. badfish_lewis

badfish_lewis Tele-Meister

Yep. Left a high paying career because I thought the future was 'on the other side' of the industry. Willingly took a 50% pay cut, hated working at the new corp.
    Left after a year to take a far better position and now I am almost back to the income I was at when I first left and am far, far happier doing what I do now with great work/life balance.

swervinbob likes this.
  18. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

Changed a bunch of times but never regretted any move. The closest was a job working with a tech temp agency. A 60 mile drive, vague directions regarding the scope of work, and no support from the temp company nor the company I was temping for. I did this for two weeks and never went back. Called my boss at the agency and told her it wasn’t working for me. I picked up my check, turned in my badge, and went sailing

swervinbob and Nightclub Dwight like this.
  19. scooteraz

scooteraz Friend of Leo's

I made a number of changes over the years. Most of them were OK.

The one I made in 1994 had me wondering for about 6 months until I realized what all I could learn from my office manager who was…shall we say…enigmatic. However, I spent 10 mostly happy years there.

swervinbob likes this.
  20. telekaster1999

telekaster1999 Tele-Afflicted

Not in 26 years.

swervinbob likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.