Anyone ever build a speaker cab from a repurposed workout box?

Michael A.

Tele-Afflicted
This plywood box is clearly sturdy enough. Dims are 16" long, 14" high and 12" deep. It does have a cutout in what would be the bottom, but that could be blanked over from inside. Only $20. It would be easy to round over the corners and cover.

Please ignore the FB link, I got the pic off Marketplace.

What say you?

1669904082884.png

JustABluesGuy

Friend of Leo's
I’m sure it will work. I’m guessing it might be a little bit “boomy” sounding with those dimensions.

There is a speaker cabinet calculator online somewhere that might tell you. Good luck if you do try it out.

Michael A.

Tele-Afflicted
Thanks for that input. I'll look for the calculator. I thought I'd cut some of most of what would be the back panel to be open, not only for the sound but to reduce the weight some.

Before I pull the trigger, I'll want to find out how much it will cost for black Tolex or similar to cover it.

PhredE

Friend of Leo's
The materials/construction seems to be sufficient.
As far as the dimensions go, there are of course many preferences for many different aspects of the geometry involved, but the only way you'll run into a really big problem is to make 2 of the sides equal length (eg; 14x14x12 -- a square box promotes 'standing waves' inside the box -- most true in a sealed cab situation). Many players here think 12" deep is too much, when I built mine I used X x X x "12" (11.25" actual) width boards (which translates to box depth in my case). If you have powerful EQ ability in the signal chain (amp>pedals>EQ>modeler -- etc) you can generally circumvent shortcomings (sonically) that the box or even some speakers might impose.

Good luck.

Michael A.

Tele-Afflicted
These jump boxes are available on Amazon for under $38 delivered, new. This is about the smallest size I've seen, but I didn't look that extensively.

Ringo

Poster Extraordinaire
You could always cut a port hole in the back if you want it to be semi open back, hey for $20 (plus shipping?) why not try it. Might be a bit small for a 12" speaker but who knows.
BagEnd makes some great sounding small cabinets.