1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone ever build a partscaster from Fender parts

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by quartermiler45, May 27, 2019.

1. rghill

rghill Tele-Afflicted

I put together a partscaster with these components:

Highway 1 Body (Sunburst finish)
    Baja Telecaster neck and tuners (Special Run from a Vegas Baja, slightly more amber tint than stock)
    Bill Lawrence Keystone pickups
    Black pickguard

Sorry, no pictures, but it is a very nice guitar. The only thing not Fender is the pickups.

2. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

I agree that Stratosphere prices are not bargains, by any means. But that said, where else can you buy virtually brand new, flawless Fender-brand necks and bodies of a wide variety without having to buy an entire guitar? It isn't easy to find flawless, brand new Fender bodies available without necks, and without electronics, if that's where you'd like to start, aside from Stratosphere. Same goes for Fender necks.

Stratosphere sells brand new American Professional necks with locking tuners for around $500. The complete guitar at GC would be $1450. So, I'd say $500 is not a terribly unreasonable price for that neck.

Stratosphere sells an American Performer neck with tuners for $400. And the complete guitar at Guitar Center sells for $1100. Is $400 terribly unreasonable for just the neck? I sure don't think so.

Stratosphere sells the Classic Player Tele neck with tuners for $300. And the complete guitar at GC sells for $825. Again, I don't see Stratosphere's price for that neck being wildly out of line.

These necks have perfect nuts, all beautifully finished, ready to bolt on, set-up the action, and play. I haven't had one in about a dozen that didn't fit like a glove on my Fender bodies. They also carry the widely recognized and respected Fender brand name, making them a well-known item in the marketplace, should one ever wish to re-sell.

Of course you can buy after-market necks that are excellent necks for less money, but usually they require nut installation/slot cutting, possibly fret leveling, and don't have a brand name that has near the market-place recognition and respect that Fender has earned over the decades. But Warmoth, Allparts, Musikraft, etc. produce excellent products and if what they are offering is what the buyer wants - by all means, they should buy them!

In my case, I've wanted Fender take-off necks for the ease and simplicity of worry-free bolt on, and play! And the value that having the Fender brand on the neck imparts. For this, I'm ok with paying more than I might pay for a neck from an aftermarket vendor. That's just a personal preference/decision.

As for Stratosphere, they provide a certain type of product that buyers want and can't generally get anywhere else. I've bought approaching a dozen Fender necks and the same number of Fender bodies from them over the last five years, to create my personalized Fender guitars... and been very pleased with every one of them. If there wasn't a market for what they offer, they would have to lower prices or simply go out of business.

For my upcoming build, where I'm starting with an unfinished Tele-style body from an individual guitar maker, I am thinking about buying a Warmoth, Allparts, or other maker neck because I'd like to go with baked maple this next time around. And I'm expecting to have to do nut work, and possibly fret leveling by a skilled luthier... we shall see. This guitar will truly be a "no-name" parts caster, with very little, if any, Fender products involved. What it might be worth to anyone else, down the road, I have no idea, nor am I worried about that.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2019
  3. bb_matt

bb_matt Tele-Meister

Chipping Norton, Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
    I spent a LOT of time pouring over various websites deciding what to buy, including fenders site. I had a basket full of stuff from there for weeks, but I couldn't justify the cost for my first build. It wasn't massively more expensive, but as I'm also buying tools for the build... yeah, I need to save somewhere. I ended up getting a notch or two down in quality - some wilkinson stuff (bridge/machineheads), tonerider pickups, CTS solid shaft pots and some reasonable quality other bits 'n pieces, like knurled knobs.

It was a tough choice to make, as my goal is to get my partscaster to sound as good as my tele.

For my next project - along with getting a high quality T-type neck/body kit - I'm going fender.

4. Middleman

Middleman Friend of Leo's

The guitar on the left in my avatar is a 74 Custom Tele neck (the only remaining original part) on a Japanese Fender body. I wish I could find another body with less weight more aligned to the original. But it's a partcaster.

5. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

7B2154DB-5EBC-4887-9664-8A11E2DABFC8.jpeg
    I must admit, it’s always exciting when one of these little bags arrive, even though I can probably get exactly the same shaped and quality part for cheaper...

6. Razzle

Razzle Tele-Meister

Late on this one... I'm doing that now, got a partscaster with all fender parts including the neck, except the body.

Matthias likes this.
  7. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I have a couple of partscasters with Fender parts
    IMG_0177.JPG
    (Sorry, I didn't take a photo of the total guitar. This one has a Fender Bullet tele neck)
    IMG_0208.jpg
    Fender nack on a Warmoth body.
    IMG_0451.jpg
    I even have a strat partscaster with a Fender neck.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.