1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone ever build a partscaster from Fender parts

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by quartermiler45, May 27, 2019.

1. monkeybanana

monkeybanana Tele-Holic

Here is my mostly Fender Tele (maybe only the bridge isn't). I may go back to chrome knobs but I need to call Mr. Waters first.

It has become a favorite for sure.

Attached Files:

quartermiler45 likes this.
  2. hellopike

hellopike Tele-Afflicted

Many people have. Many many times over.

DHart and quartermiler45 like this.
  3. Old duck

Old duck Tele-Meister

4. quartermiler45

quartermiler45 Tele-Meister

5. Old duck

Old duck Tele-Meister

I think that's more of a "Custom Shop screwed up" rather than an intentional relic job. Stratosphere probably wouldn't have it if they hadn't damage it.

6. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

My Strat-o-clone has a MIM Fender neck and Fender Custom Shop pickups, but the rest of it came from other sources. I used the 50s Classic neck because (1) I like the neck on my 50s Classic Esquire, and (b) it has a decal on the headstock.

7. MrHamburger

MrHamburger Tele-Holic

1DCF944D-E8FE-4480-8F84-90F1BD280B43.jpeg
    Warmoth body, they offer bodies that have been finished.
    The neck is a Fender Classic 50s lacquer. I drove around to all the local shops trying every Tele to determine what I liked best, then found the neck on Reverb. It was previously on a Daphne Blue Nashville Body that I got from stratosphere.
    I try to stay away from squier and other aftermarket parts to avoid surprises, stuff not fitting, bridge mount not matching up. Every squier body I’ve used has needed new bridge mount holes drilled and some needed control cavity routed deeper to accommodate full size pots. String through holes won’t match up with classic bridge so had to get a top loader.
    MJT & Guitar Mill do nice work but I prefer to let my children and myself apply the relic.
    You can buy necks and bodies straight from Fender too.
    Dragonfireguitars.com have the cheapest Wilkinson bridges and other various parts.

8. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Here I am! Sorry I'm late. :lol:

Many times, Fender Tele bodies and Fender Tele necks, from Stratosphere, mixed and matched to taste. Have done this with a few Strats as well.

Never a fitment problem and though the price for Fender brand parts is higher than 3rd party, they are a well-known product which hold resale value well.

I do often choose Cavalier pickups over Fender pickups, though many Fender pickups are very good. I like Fender modern bridges mostly. Electronics parts, of course, are from CTS, CRL, Switchcraft, etc. And, I like toggle switches, so I get my control plates from rutters.

Here's an example. 2012 Fender American Standard body in Mystic Red, with a 2017 Fender American Professional neck, Twisted Tele & Broadcaster pickups, Fender American Standard bridge, CTS pots, Switchcraft toggle switch, Rutters control plate. One of my favorite guitars.

[​IMG]

And another, a 2013 Jade Pearl Fender American Standard Tele body with a 2018 Fender American Professional nosewood neck, Cavalier Lioness & 51/52 pickups, modern Fender American Standard bridge, toggle switch, yada, yada.

I especially like how Fender contoured the bodies on the 2012-2013 American Standards.

[​IMG]

Search Stratosphere, Reverb, eBay for your major parts.

And, a little walk on the (slightly) wild side:

Fender Player HH body in Tidepool finish with 2018 American Special rosewood neck, Antiquity II mini humbucker and Fender Strat CS Fat '50s bridge pickup.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  9. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

A couple of times, but only used Fender parts. If you get new parts retail you are likely to find that you are paying more than shop discounted prices for new built Fenders. Certainly here in the UK and EU (yes, we are still together.... don't ask). It might differ in the USA. I mostly use UK finishers for nitro finished bodies and necks to my requirements which is overall a bit cheaper than new Fender parts, but a bit more work to put together.

10. SixgunElectric

SixgunElectric TDPRI Member

Nice!

Oh absolutely.
    I mean, a lot of the time, *most* of the time actually, Fender just doesn't offer quite what I want....and I like using the Fender modular components if I can get into them for the right price, particularly if they need to be altered.
    Plus, I do rather good work if I do say so myself. ;)

11. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I also keep the same philosophy with the import partscasters I’ve made (i.e. Squier)...

Here’s my Squier SE Special Strat body with a set of Squier Standard Strat alnico pickups (all made in China) which is mated to a “Fender” Modern Player Strat neck (also made in China):

A899A945-739B-4407-8126-C6E310F4DE57.jpeg

I did switch out the bridge with a so-called “MIM” bridge, but since they are actually made in Taiwan it still aligns with my basic design criteria - although it is a bit of a “gray area” I admit.

So I do prefer to make my partscasters out of parts from basically the same regions - not only because l really don’t like mixing Eastern and Western parts (for instance), but also because subtle manufacturing differences can cause fitment problems...

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  12. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I’m making a Jaguar at the minute that uses a Fender neck, pick-ups, bridge, mute, trem and other bits. The body is a Guitarbuild one that’s getting painted in Oly White Nitro. Overall, it’ll be cheaper than a used American Original, similar spec and the colour I want, plus early not mid 60s look. I would also consider the first £100-200 of that could be written off as the hobby/project value too.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  13. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Been doing that since 1980 when there wasn't a parts market other than brass hardware and pickups.

But buy from Stratosphere and Reverb, not really because the prices are too high.
    I've bought a few pickups from Stratosphere when they actually auction parts.

Here's the big secret:

Take two identical MIM Strats worth $400 each used.
    Swap the necks.
    Now they are worth $300 each used.

Or, buy $800 worth of Fender parts from Stratosphere.
    Assemble them into a partscaster.
    Now the $800 in parts is worth $400 or less.

Hmmm, lets see.
    What to buy!? what to buy!?

Answer:
    Used partscaters.

Matthias likes this.
  14. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Or, of course, be willing to disassemble all your hard work when/if you want to sell. If you bought the parts cheap, you can do well.

telemnemonics likes this.
  15. telemnemonics

Where do you buy those control plates?
    Looks like they are not all drilled the same spacing, but getting rid of the knife is a seldom seen actual improvement to a Tele!

16. telemnemonics

Very true!
    In fact if you take poor care of your partscatsers the parts are worth more money than the new price.
    For example you can buy a brand new MIM Fender neck from Fender for $199 or less.
    That same neck used and beat up a little will auction for a higher price.
    Same with Warmoth necks, I see the basic Warmoth maple Tele neck that costs around $150 from Warmoth auctions higher than that on ebay.

For a while there were numerous sellers on ebay replacing the Squier decal with a Fender decal and selling used Chinese Squier necks for more than new MIM Fender necks. They typically sold several necks a week with the counterfeit decals.
    Guessing Fender shut most of them down.

Seems to me that retail buyers have lost their minds.

Maybe Stratosphere capitalizes on the shoppers fear of getting ripped off buying counterfeit parts?
    We do see lots of buyers show up to confirm what they bought, only to find it wasn't as listed.

Matthias likes this.
  17. Orpingtons

Orpingtons Tele-Meister

It's a great idea but you need to make sure all parts are a perfect fit, some modifications may be necessary. These days, there are not standards to speak of and parts that are "made to fit" may not fit exactly the way you want without some modification. Using genuine Fender parts may get you there quicker, but you may still to do some modding for a perfect fit.

In other words, you may need more than a screwdriver and a string winder to get this done, but it's a hell of a nice project to tackle.

18. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

Every electric guitar Fender builds is just an assemblage of Fender parts ... Technically, just a bunch of partscasters when you really think about it ...

DaveG_NJ likes this.
  19. DHart

DHart Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Sometimes, for many people, putting together partscasters isn't all about money. In fact, it isn't about money at all! No one chooses to waste money, but for many people buying things is not all about what they might be able to sell it for sometime in the future. It's all about having and using something that appeals to your exact preferences, that you desire.

Very, very few material items have a future value that matches the acquisition cost. In fact, MOST material objects that people buy retain relatively little future value. I'd say that guitars, partscasters included, tend to hold future value better than the majority of items that people buy.

If you're looking for financial investment, you're probably best off not thinking about buying guitars anyway, unless you choose to work it very seriously and make a business of it. But that's something completely different than buying necks, bodies, and small parts to create your own personal guitars.

For many of us, putting together Teles and Strats, it's only all-about creating exactly the guitar we want to have and play. What it might be worth to someone else, at some future time, in a possible resale, is of relatively little importance.

That's how it is for me. Of course, I try to get reasonably good deals on what parts I buy, but I give no consideration to what they may sell for at some possible future point. I create the guitars I want to have. I have no concern for whatever dollar value someone else, anyone else might think they're worth. I do buy Fender brand necks and bodies primarily because I like the quality. However, the Fender brand does make for a much easier resale, as well, if that's what one wants to do.

That said, not everyone values partscasters at 1/2 of what the parts cost initially. You only need one buyer who recognizes the quality and value of whatever you are selling, if it is a quality guitar, put together well. And, if marketability and retained value are of significant importance to you and you want to create your own Tele or Strat, buy Fender-brand necks and bodies. A well put together parts caster with a Fender neck (esp. USA) and a Fender body would be an easier guitar to find a buyer for, one who places a respectable value on the guitar.

Anyone who has ever swapped Fender necks on different Fender bodies knows that in most cases, this is a no-brainer which can easily result in an instrument every bit as good as a Fender which had the neck bolted on by an assembly-line person at the factory. If a potential buyer of a Fender-branded parts caster doesn't recognize this - no big deal - another potential buyer will! And you only need one buyer to make the sale.

So, if your guitar playing is largely all about the money aspect to you, and you expect to resell sometime in the near future - then, indeed just shop for used parts casters, especially with non-Fender brand necks and bodies, and low-ball the sellers until you find one who will sell for what you're offering. No doubt, you will be able to find some very low-priced guitars that you may be able to re-sell for close to what you paid.

Either way, approach the subject as you wish to and, mostly, enjoy your guitar playing.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
    rangercaster likes this.
  20. telemnemonics

I'm not addressing the lower resale value of partscasters as much as the highly inflated prices Stratosphere puts on parts.
    And the foolishly high prices many pay for used parts, often paying more than the part cost new.
    I agree we should have guitars we like, but don't agree that fair prices for parts is essentially double the price of them on the whole guitar.
    I've seen too many squier necks sell for more than the whole guitar was worth.

IMO the parts buying public is often grossly misinformed.

I'm actually fine with partscasters being inexpensive, because I like being able to get guitars for good prices.

I think since the internet, used guitars are often priced higher than they ought to be, given the massive supply and lower demand.
    Or priced way too cheap.

But I suppose the demand for used parts has driven those prices high, so I can't argue with that if the market speaks.
    The partscaster building craze is separate from players who choose to put together their own working tools of the trade.
    I find it hard to believe that with all the aftermarket parts and used parts on the market, Stratosphere still dismantles scores of brand new guitars and sells all those parts at inflated prices.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.