1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone ever been fired/laid off or had to fire/layoff others?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Mar 23, 2018.

1. FilthyFur74

FilthyFur74 Tele-Holic

After nearly 2 decades as a school teacher I was unexpectedly made redundant recently. The only thing I did wrong was to be a teacher of a creative subject and the victim of a national purge in the UK of this type of subject, which also includes music, art and drama, etc. As a teacher, if I get another teaching post within 4 weeks and one day of my contract ending I don’t even get a redundancy payout. The UK education system is in a chronic state - around 60,000 qualified teachers left the profession last year and schools are struggling to recruit and retain. I’ve never been made redundant before and the last few months have been really hard, especially with an 8 months old baby to provide for. I’ve refused to let this get me down, done all I can to secure a new job and things are finally looking up. If anything good has come of all this it’s the realisation and appreciation of all the good things in my life :)

Bill likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.