1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone ever been fired/laid off or had to fire/layoff others?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Mar 23, 2018.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Eons ago, in the mid 1980s, I managed a small electronics business.
    There were five stores, and I managed the service center and did the payroll.
    I only had to fire one guy in the 10 years I worked there.
    It was for an odd reason.
    The guy stunk.
    It was awkward, but after two warnings about his (lack of) hygiene, I fired him.
    Weird reason.
    I have managed about 5 small businesses (1 electronics, 2 pawn shops, 2 music stores), but I only recall firing the one funky dude.
    I have never been fired from a job.
    I hope I never have to get another one.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    P Thought, Nickadermis and 1955 like this.
  2. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Friend of Leo's

Both, more than once. And they both suck. I've found that there is no substitute for being open minded and willing to reinvent yourself no matter how old you are lucky enough to get.

1955 likes this.
  3. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Many of my positions fit into the old “ disappointment + time = humor “ equation
    One of the best was a husband and wife firm where the wife fired me but my supervisor told me to “ just keep showing up” She kept sending the husband in to get rid of me and I would say “ talk to Joe” and he would leave.. probably got another six months out of it before the whole thing went belly up..

1955 and Chicago Matt like this.
  4. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I've owned my own construction firm, and there's a lot of turnover with un- or lightly-skilled workers in that environment. Most would quit, or just leave and never return, or go on a bender and show up in a week, ready to continue with their now-non-existent job.

But there was one guy, where my decision still bugs me thirty years later. I was running two framing crews at the time, and getting a third off the ground, to handle the increased work load. I hired this guy as a foreman / carpenter, and gave him four pretty decent guys who'd been with me a while. I knew they wouldn't screw him up, but neither could any of them lead the crew. This guy had good references, and knew his stuff. The only problem: he worked so slowly, that after he'd completed the first house, all the profit was gone in extra man-hours. The crew was idling, waiting for him to complete the layout of each stage.

So, I let him go. I couldn't afford to lose money on the next house, too. But... when I told him, he was stunned. He had a couple kids to support, and I see now he would have been one of those guys who would have become a right-hand man, if only I'd been patient enough to help get his efficiency up to par. In that moment, he asked me to just tell him what to do, and he'd try to do it.

I could have, should have, reversed the decision, on the spot. But margins were tight, and I didn't feel I had the luxury. In retrospect, I should have explained all this, and offered him a trial period, one more house, with the condition that I'd only pay him if the house made it's normal margin. Meaning, I'd have put at least half the risk to him. Not the norm, for sure, but it would have worked, and he'd have performed, I think.

But I was green, boneheaded, and stubborn. And scared. So I said nope, that's it. And I still regret it.

I partially turned that around years later when working as a software developer. I preferred to stay on the technical side, but the company I was with asked me to take over the team. I warned them it wasn't my thing, but they were desperate, so I gave in, and did the best I could. One of the guys I inherited was an ongoing problem, and I was receiving guidance from above, to gracefully dump the guy. All I had to do was give the word.

So, I sat him down and explained all this. Turns out, after some back and forth, and talking to others, the bulk of the issue was a personality conflict between the guy and the former team lead (who I knew, and who had left the company). I explained how close to the edge he was, and that if he wanted to stay, he needed to turn it around, mostly his attitude.

He got it, did it, and based on my recommendation, was never let go, and was eventually given more responsibility. It was a win all around.

Apparently I wasn't quite so boneheaded anymore, but it sure took long enough.

5. studio1087

studio1087 Telefied Silver Supporter

I've never been fired. My wife (who was working part time) was given a choice between full time employment or leaving. We had just had our second child so we tightened our belts and she left. With the amount of work that she was taking home she would have remained a great bargain for her employer at her greatly reduced (part time) salary but she was given an ultimatum and she walked.

In 30 years I have gathered facts and files and critical measurements for 8 people who truly deserved to be separated from businesses. When I fired them it still felt horrible.

In 1 year (2001 to be exact) I fired 15 of the hardest working people that one could ever meet. I was working for an 8 Billion dollar company that was purchased by Bain Capitol. After Bain accountants in ivory towers established operating standards and measurements for 70+ of our locations they told VP's and managers who to terminate. Hundreds of people lost their jobs in one week despite the opinions of local managers who stood up for local employees. I quit and took a job with a competitor 8 months later. It still makes me feel like a piece of sh*t.

Chicago Matt and william tele like this.
  6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Been sacked once and laid off once. I was grateful in a way for the layoff, new management was impossible for me to work with and I wrote my letter of resignation two months before and started looking. It was still a terrible experience though. I lost my house, my girl, and my savings before I found new work.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Chicago Matt and william tele like this.
  7. ZeroGravity

ZeroGravity TDPRI Member

Being in high-tech, this is just par for the course and it is rare to meet someone who hasn't gone through it at least once. I have been on both sides of the table. The first time feels like the world has caved in on you, after that it is just another bump on the road. The upside of the volatility of tech is that there are always opportunities out there and usually something comes along.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  8. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I had to give a "support" like...not a "like what happened" like...:(

And they say money can't buy happiness...but as you pointed out, it can supply shelter and ability to provide for loved ones.

Mr. Lumbergh and Chicago Matt like this.
  9. Crashbelt

Crashbelt Tele-Holic

I've fired a few over the years - from the usual reasons of just not making the grade, to the dishonest and wilfully incompetent. The latter are easier - especially the sex-pest middle manager who spent hours on sex chat lines on a company phone - not very bright:lol:.

I really hated having to lay off good people during downsizing.

In the end I got laid off but with a payoff and pension so no complaints. And now I'm happily just out of all of that.

I could talk about firing band members but that's another subject:eek:.

10. bftfender

bftfender Poster Extraordinaire

own 24 hr locksmith company. i have a few 'rare breed" guys, who work very hard, our business is so on demand and every time you go to eat or have to use bathroom..you get a call..i have not had a day off since 2012..we all quit at least once a week when the heat is on,,we all agreed it's not personal..just a battle to get through...all of us have had guns pulled us...it's crazy..we are coming to unlock your car or make a car key and ya wanna pull a gun !! last October, myself and my tech were the last 2 people to talk to a guy in Harrisburg, 9pm i take the call 9:05 tech calls client 9:29 we unlock car..9:30 customer dead...shot right over my tech 5 times..soon as he unlocked the door...so i appreciate my guys

11. Iconocaster

Iconocaster TDPRI Member

I gotta figure out a way to get canned for a reason that's not too serious. I've been here 20 years and they give good severance packages from what I hear. If I quit or retire, I get nothing and I'm on my wife's (who's younger) health insurance now so I'm ready.

I was laid off once and got 9 months full pay and benefits as severance. We knew it was coming for 2 years, and the company was placing people, but I wanted to help with the transition, take the package and get. Since the company called it a gift, I was able to collect unemployment for 6 months while getting full pay. Instead of filing for unemployment extensions, I took a job with no future (probably dumb) but I did get paid for 3 more months from 2 jobs. The same week that the severance pay ran out, I landed a good job comparable to the one I lost. I got audited by the IRS for that year!

12. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

Same here, more on the being fired/laid off/RIF'ed side than the doing the firing though. Over the years, I've put together a play list of songs that help me feel better. Here's one that I added after my last RIF back in December. Gotta love a company that sends you out the door about a week before Christmas...

Well my fall from grace was a sight to see
    Nobody even cared what became of me
    Do I have to get down on my knees
    And ask the Lord ,Lord have mercy on me

ZeroGravity likes this.
  13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I've done both, and had both done to me...in fact, I got laid off Monday afternoon.

It was a huge relief. The pressure and environment of that place was horrible. I already feel better, except now I gotta find another job (and the fact that Lady Fiesta Red is freaking out). I've already had four or five people call me and tell.me how things are falling apart in my former departments, and how two people have quit.

Oh well...I'll just call the state and let them know what hasn't been fixed at the site. :D

14. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

I thought about doing that with my last employer. They were rather loose with things like zoning laws, soil erosion protection, and worksite safety. I took the high road though, and decided against it.

15. Harry Styron

Harry Styron Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

After all my clients had refused to work with her, I decided that Wednesday was the day to fire her. I came in early, changed the password to keep her off the network, and assembled a couple of cardboard boxes and a few blank CDs on which she could copy any personal stuff from the local drive on her desktop computer.

When she walked in, I was on the phone. She was raising hell because she couldn’t get on the network and the support staff had no idea that I had made the decision.

I finally got off the phone, walked into her office and told her that I was terminating her employment because I had no clients who were willing to work with her. She was livid, because she was supporting several relatives who were in tough situations. I told her to take whatever time she needed to make sure her personal stuff was off the computer.

By the time I was finished talking with her, I was running late for an appointment in court. As I drove out of the parking lot in the rain, I noticed that her car had a flat tire.

moosie and 1955 like this.
  16. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

I took the high road for two years, and they used and abused me and then pushed me out the door, eliminating my position when they couldn't catch me doing anything wrong.

17. nvilletele

nvilletele Friend of Leo's

Thanks, but really no need to worry about me, i should be fine. I was overall lucky and just a enough smart to have put some money away (despite the divorce!). Now will just have to shell out more for health insurance, and I guess I won't be able to continue scrounging lunch meeting leftovers from conference rooms any more. Just as well, I guess, the quality of the food has really gone downhill over the years.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  18. jimmyv723

jimmyv723 Tele-Meister

My first job out of College was probably one of the best jobs I've ever had. Unfortunately a few months after I started there the company was bought out by a bigger company. As often happens that company decided to just lay off the majority of the current employees. It was right around the Holidays too which always sucks but they did give everyone a base severance of 10 weeks and increased it depending on time there. Had a lot of fun there and it sucks when stuff like that happens.

19. Lenderman_k

Lenderman_k Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I've accidentally been fired twice.

william tele and 1955 like this.
  20. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

I was laid off from a cushy county government job "for budget reasons", four years ago. I got the same job in the private sector one week after my unemployment benefits ran out. I bounced back, yet I still harbor resentment toward those who harmed me and the other five friends and co-workers who were let go, considering how many chair warmers and retired-in-place were cosseted in that department.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.