1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone ever been fired/laid off or had to fire/layoff others?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Mar 23, 2018.

1. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I work for a Japanese company that doesn't fire senior managers at the end of their career. They give them a job that they're sure will make them leave on their own. And then if they don't have the good sense to leave within two years, they turn it into a job that makes them want to kill themselves. I'm in that end stage with just under to years to go.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    uriah1 likes this.
  2. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Similar story, but I was raised w/ the idea that "any job is a good job" which may work for the short term, but I never learned to that for a long term position, the interview (and job) is a two way street. I spent too much time trying to fit in in impossible situations with difficult people, that I should have never entered. Bounced around, from here to there, until I finally just fell back on some hobby work that I occasionally did, which while not lucrative, is enjoyable. I don't usually hire so not much firing, but I do occasionally need to move away from clients, I find that you can often just let things wind down naturally, but if not, I lay out the facts (usually in writing) especially in cases of no/slow pay and cut them loose. I do find that keeping things professional(good documentation, pay/payment on time etc.) even when working with friends makes things easier, and assists in maintaining personal relationships if desired.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  3. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

A life in construction. I've let go plenty who didn't work like they wanted to be there, never a problem for me. But I had to let go one guy who seemed dedicated, bright and promising. He failed a drug test and we have a zero tolerance policy. I didn't enjoy that one at all.

SacDAve likes this.
  4. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Never been fired, never laid off, never "let go" or ever had to ask for a raise...

Nickadermis likes this.
  5. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

The Drug test created a lot of work for me.

Nickadermis likes this.
  6. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

That's one thing that's different in more recent times (since the 80s): there was a time when someone went to work and stayed with the company an entire lifetime. There was loyalty both ways. Some even had pensions (a vanishing concept).
    It's obviously different now with "consolidations", mergers and changing from manufacturing to services etc. Then some of it is just corporations outsourcing, automating and lessening the burden of company to take care of it's workforce to drive up profits (and executive's bonuses.)
    This has been okay for many "white collar" folks and those skilled enough to make decent wages. Such folks can put money in 401k's when offered. Many folks live paycheck to paycheck and have difficulty saving even a small portion of their earnings.
    I suppose layoffs and restructurings are the new norm. I hate it when companies try to dress it up with different terminology "rightsizing" etc. Call it what it is.
    BTW, this came up because I saw a photo of someone on FB who I once had to fire and coincidentally found out a former nemesis was being canned (restructured). Then of course, we have more prominent firings all the time.

1955 and nojazzhere like this.
  7. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

We work at schools all the time. Background checks, drug tests are routine if not often. Everyone knows from day one that to fail one is automatic exit.

william tele likes this.
  8. Billnchristy

Billnchristy Tele-Afflicted

I had my position eliminated after 10 years. When my boss and hr walked in my office I immediately knew what was up. A week later they did the same to my boss, he had been there 40 years.

I just fired one of my housekeeping staff Wednesday. I caught her sleeping and my hands were tied. I still hated it.

The worst was setting someone up for captains mast in the navy. You have to read them their rights. That made me feel awful.

9. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I was a neon-glassblower for nearly twenty years, in the 90's and 2000's. Much of that is done in little shops, and work can be sporadic. Plus, many of the owners had zero business sense and integrity. I was often "laid off" for lack of orders, but usually would have another job within hours or days somewhere else. There was only one position you could say I "quit", and that was because the owner wanted to renege on the pay scale we had agreed upon. After all that time and uncertainty of the future, I finally left and went into education. I enjoyed teaching until I retired last year.

Nickadermis likes this.
  10. Rythameen

Rythameen Tele-Meister

Oh yeah, just happened to me this past November, they called the entire department from the Director on down into a meeting that was labeled "HR Training" on the calendar. A Vice president walked into the room and said "due to the current financial situation, we have decided to close your entire department effective immediately. HR representatives will fill you in on the details." And then he turned and walked out of the room before anyone could ask any questions. I got a pretty decent severance, and found a new job at better pay in 6 weeks, but it still sucked.

11. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Since the early 80's I always had the burden of being responsible for the safety of buildings full of people and was on call 24-7. We never had mandatory or random drug testing but if anything horrific ever happened I'm sure I would have been. Knowing that kept my indulgences to a minimum...

But I'm retired now...:D

Nickadermis likes this.
  12. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Friend of Leo's

Several times.

My college job got privatized, and no city employees were retained. My second job after college was road flagging, on construction sites. Days were long, and irregular. I needed 40 hours a week, not 12 hour days once or twice a week, so I called in to quit and was fired essentially for quitting. I have a do-not-hire on my account for that particular temp agency.

I broke my wrist while skateboarding in 2014, and was unceremoniously dropped on my ass after being fired from my job at a factory for "not enjoying my work," on the first day I showed up in a cast. My firing was 100% related to my injury, but they couldn't legally fire me for it. And all of this came out when they kept denying my unemployment claims, and we ultimately had to go into mediation. They said that I could not work, but I had turned in medical documents (to the state unemployment office) saying that yes, I could work, but I could not lift with my left arm. The judge threw the book at them, and I was paid in full. 3 months later than I needed, but I was paid completely in full.

Most recently, I worked for a home builder that specialized in mid-grade homes, and selling to first time buyers. They had planned for a huge expansion, so they brought in a bunch of new staff members, and put me into a site engineering role. Well, 2016 happened, and my understanding is that the feds ended (or began phasing out) first time home buyer tax credits, and tax deductions for the mid-range homes that we built...as a result of their customer base losing a lot of federal incentives, the company wouldn't have been able to sustain the growth, and I got downsized. They completely retooled the company, and began focusing on building more higher-end homes, repeat business, and they actually got into the vacation rental business (that was a **** show organized by the executives who have never had to rent a house in their lives).

Toto'sDad likes this.
  13. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

We've done pretty rigorous training with our management team on performance reviews and improvement. Our goal is that if we have let someone go, it should never be a surprise to them. They should have been given clear improvement goals and know whether or not they are meeting them. It's worked out pretty well. That being said, it is still really hard to let someone go.

Toto'sDad likes this.
  14. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Tele-Holic

It happened three times to me but I'm a smart, ambitious, loyal, dependable, hard worker who learns fast so every single time I just went out and landed a another job that paid more money.

william tele likes this.
  15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been on both ends of the layoffs and firings. The absolute worst firing I ever had to do the guy cried! At almost the same time I had to let another guy go that just didn't have any of what it took for the job we had for them. The one who cried put in an application to become an apprentice with the Operating Engineers, ended up going through their 6,000 hour program and became a journeyman. He remained single, and traveled all over the world running heavy equipment, last time I saw him he had a stable of eight collector cars. Best thing ever happened to him was getting fired. The other guy that I let go went to work as an apprentice on the railroad, ended up working there the rest of his working life and is retired from the RR now and living in Colorado.

I've been fired, laid off, and quit so many times in my lifetime it got to where it didn't even bother me. I was working for a friend one time running his second water truck, and he came to me one morning and said, TD, I can't hardly do this, but the work is slowing down and they are cutting my second truck off so I gotta let you go. I grinned at him, and said, lemme go right now, I still have time to get a round of golf in! Last time I saw him he was standing there holding his hat in his hand looking forlorn. Little did we know that would be the last time we saw each other because he would die suddenly at 51 years of age six weeks later.

In the construction business, being laid off is just one of the things that go with the job. They hire you when they need you, and cut you loose as soon as they don't, most don't even think anything about it, the guy being let go, or the one letting him go. Sometimes life pushes you into doing better like the two guys I related about letting them go. I was laid off from a pretty good job, and it made me stop and think about how old I was getting. I took some classes, learned to type and got a diploma/cetificate in the field I was studying, sent out 250 job apps, traveled as far as a couple of hundred mile to do interviews, and ended up with the best, longest running job I ever had, which I retired from.

JL_LI and 1955 like this.
  16. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

We've done that at every place I've worked over my years. We called it progressive discipline in the old days. Then it was labeled "corrective action plan" and then it was called something else. Some employees are still shocked that they are being fired after being counseled, coached, put on probation, suspended and then canned.
    The opposite is also true for performance reviews. Give a person a glowing evaluation and then discuss goals or areas of improvement/advancement and they take exception and only focus on a single element. "Hey really, you're great. You could improve your tactfulness in dealing with some of the technicians. You know, maybe you shouldn't refer to them as "Hey, **** for brains!"

17. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

IIRC I was fired once in maybe 1986 from a furniture making shop where I did all the automated machine setups along with every other task.
    A bed got shipped to the wrong address cross country, returned, reshipped, and returned again, so shipped four times.
    It was damaged and the owner wanted me to repack all the stock of that product on my own time, because he felt it was my fault it had been damaged.

I pointed out the quadruple shipping, but he said repack them all or you're fired.
    There were times when I did what needed to be done instead of what he told me to do, because I was responsible for things coming out right.
    He explained that I needed to subordinate myself.
    I preferred to produce good work, and answered thus.

I accepted his offer to be fired!

Then he argued with me about accepting his offer!
    Understandable since there were machine setups that nobody else had been able to get right.

One problem with "being right" is that sometimes no matter how right we may be we're still wrong.

I was once offered a job as Chef, and declined because the Chef hires and fires.
    There are cooks who call themselves Chefs but only have to cook on the job.
    The Chef is where the buck stops.
    I can keep my side of the street clean but falter at other sides.

Hiring and firing is a whole 'nother realm, judging people and then standing by that judgement.

18. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I have never been fired , well maybe once back in the day when really young.....
    Have been at the lower end of the Management steps for more than a decade and have been on the other side of the table quite a few times.

A couple of years ago we had to let almost half of our workforce go , not fun times .Its a job that must be done though , and I just focus on doing it as good as possible.

Can you do a good job when you are firing someone ?
    Yes , IMO , you really can....It makes all the difference how well you prepare yourself

Last time we had to let many people go wasn't fun at all. I have known some of them for decades , but I look back now , and
    I'm actually proud of the good work we did

What is often forgotten when cutting back workforce like this , is to also take care of the people that keep their job

19. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Now you just follow the lead of the leaders and do it by Twitter! No uncomfortable face to face stuff..... My school tried to fire me for a bogus ethics charge but I had the union and I knew my rights and I was innocent.... Basically I said bring it let's do this.... So they scheduled meetings with me and the superintendent....... But he got busy everytime we had a meeting scheduled and the issue just faded away...... Chicken sh## administrators!

1955 and telemnemonics like this.
  20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I've been laid off quite a few times, but I didn't consider that the question.
    Still sucks if you live paycheck to paycheck, and maybe doesn't look very good at the next job interview, but many years in carpentry and woodworking most employers are familiar with contracts and funding as related to size of the workforce.

I've been the only guy that didn't get laid off a number of times, which can be interesting. Always seemed to be a high pressure spot to end up in, where construction needs to continue but funds are not there to pay a whole crew.
    Funny though, I find a company that's falling apart doesn't really bother me.
    Havoc just feels all too familiar...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.