1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone ever been fired/laid off or had to fire/layoff others?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by burntfrijoles, Mar 23, 2018.

1. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

I was once downsized out of a management job. I can remember how it felt when the CEO personally informed me.
    As a manager I fired or laid off dozens of people. It's the most uncomfortable feeling you can imagine to sit face to face with someone and give them the news.
    With one or two rare exceptions I can say that I always felt sympathy for those affected, even when the individual who was fired deserved the consequences.
    When someone is dismissed it hits them hard. It can take away their sense of self-worth and batter their confidence in addition to the financial consequences. Then there is the uncertain future that awaits.

2. golfnut

golfnut Friend of Leo's

Several years ago my wife was downsized out of her middle management position of 27 years. I remember her going through a hard time as she thought she'd retire from that job.
    I was very supportive of her and I had a good job and she got a great severance package so financial stability wasn't an issue. But at the time being in her mid 40's with a ways to go to retirement, she worried. She did a couple of contract positions over a couple years before landing an even better job in a higher management position. So it all worked out.
    I've been laid of twice in my life, both at my request.

3. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

laid off twice and knew it was coming...another time i was laid off and didnt see it coming...i think back on it and it seemed more like a firing...in the uk they say sacked over fired...i think it sounds cooler to get sacked than fired

Telecasterless likes this.
  4. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Gold Supporter

Oh yea. 24.5 years.. 1 year before I could get health care for life.
    (reorganized, right-sized,etc)

2 Ladies in suits from corporate..

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
    Chip.Lindsey, cabra velha and kelnet like this.
  5. joealso

joealso Tele-Holic

I've been on both sides of that desk. I've been fired (or "sacked") 4 times and in every case, I've ended up benefiting by ending up in a better job down the road. I know that some of the folks I've fired had the same experience. I hope all of them did.

nojazzhere likes this.
  6. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

I've been laid off three times. One of them was a total shock and unexpected. Fifteen of us in a room with the president and HR lady. 'Good news, we got new funding; everyone's getting paid. HR lady has your final paycheck, hers too. You're paid through tomorrow (Friday) but you can go home now if you want.' I was out of work for 6 months, as there were about 17,000 layoffs in the Austin area in early 2001. I used the time to study, learn, and earn certifications.

All three times lead to better jobs.

joealso and nojazzhere like this.
  7. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Let's see...

Fired from my first job as a dishwasher. The problem was that I was holding up the upward mobility. I was in high school, which got out at 3:20. Dishwasher shift started at 4:30. Cook shift started at 3:30 and there was no way for me to get there in 10 minutes. I refused to be 'promoted' (for the same pay) so out the door I went.

Laid off from a newly-opened restaurant. New places need more people than established ones. Heard a bit later that the reason I was let go was that management thought I'd find a job sooner than others, keeping their unemployment costs down.

Laid off once from another restaurant. Family business, and I wasn't part of the family. This is a job I never should have taken, but the alternative at the time was part-time.

Fired from the same place a second time. Fired this time so they wouldn't have to pay unemployment. This was shortly after one of the family came back to work after convalescing. See, he figured that if he was too drunk too walk, he'd better drive. I'd been working 80 hour weeks up to that point. But the writing was on the wall. Sales guys would visit during the day when I was the only guy in the kitchen, and there would be no check for them. They kept changing suppliers. Went out of business shortly after.

Laid off from one software house. I was brought in to deal with their product on PC. But the constraints weren't conducive to success. After about 10 months, it was clear it wasn't going to work.

Laid off from another software house. Newest in, newest out. That's the place where I made the mistake of pointing out we could automate the part of the product the VP had founded the company for.

From the other side, haven't had to directly.

8. Pualee

Pualee Tele-Holic

I never really been laid off - but let go once.

I've watched others go from 3 (out of 4) jobs. Multiple layoffs in each place. I never got axed. But finally, one place (after 4 rounds of layoffs) shutdown the warehouse and administration building where I worked (outsourced). Due to laws, and the number of people affected, they legally had to give 4 weeks notice.

I had a new job in 1 week, gave 2 weeks notice, and walked into a job paying 50% more without any break in pay.

I consider myself lucky - the economy was in the toilet at the time, and it didn't work out so well for everyone else.

Boomhauer likes this.
  9. tominwa

tominwa Tele-Meister

I was fired from every job I ever had. I used to tell myself I quit, but no, I was fired. Never was able to work for somebody else. Went into my own business and thrived. As for firing, it gets easy after the first one. I found there were a lot of people like me.

P Thought and telemnemonics like this.
  10. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Tele-Afflicted

I am a retired aerospace worker and I have been laid off several times in my life. Every time a contract was completed, then comes another round. On a happy note, all the companies I had worked for were bought out by Boeing and all of the time that I had worked in aerospace counted towards my retirement time for my pension.

11. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

I think I'm only self-employed because everyone else has fired me! Well, they may have called it 'downsizing' etc but I was out of a job, whatever they called it. Sometimes I saw it coming but there were also out-of-the-blue sackings. Painful at the time but life goes on. :D

nojazzhere and Nickadermis like this.
  12. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I was fired from a job as a press operator when I was in my 20's and I should have been. I wasn't good at it.

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

I got fired from a grocery store in high school. Totally had it coming is all I'll say.

14. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted

I've experience both, and didn't enjoy either. I was fired from a bartending gig for calling in sick once (and a bit of a tardiness habit).

One winter I was working as a Lift operations supervisor at a ski resort. The staff at the top of the hill sit in a tiny heated booth watching to make sure everyone gets off safely. One of my staff dozed off in said booth. It's really unsafe, but I'm sure it happened more than once. This time, the owner of the whole resort was the passenger on the lift and spotted it. He skied down to my office and demanded I fire the kid immediately. Left to my own devices I would have taken less drastic disciplinary actions, but it was the owner. The decision was no longer mine. I did not enjoy telling the kid he had to leave immediately. He messed up, but he was otherwise a good dude.

15. SacDAve

SacDAve Poster Extraordinaire

Being in construction my whole life being laid off or let go is pretty common most the time I made it to end of the job and if they had other work I'd go to another job. The thing about construction from day one your working yourself out of a job. I have been fired twice usually was after telling a foreman what I thought of them. I did run work for a plumbing Co. I had no problem getting someone their money if they weren't putting out work.

Nickadermis likes this.
  16. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Friend of Leo's

All of the above. I have had to lay off folks, I've had to fire folks. I've been laid off and I've been fired. Not one of the experiences were even close to being pleasant. Even the ones where the employee greatly deserved to be fired.

17. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Afflicted

I've done more sacking than being sacked. Both were always unpleasant. I hope to never do either again.

18. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

...and they sent a 4th grader to can me ?

1955 likes this.
  19. xland

xland Tele-Holic

I've never been fired and never been through a layoff (yet) but the company I work for now is going through a restructuring and it is anticipated there will be just short of 1,000 jobs cut. I probably have a 50/50 chance of being retained. The next few months are going to suck. :(

I don't live near a metropolitan area so the job prospects where I do live are few so if I do lose my job there is a very, very good chance we will have to sell our house, pick up and move to where there are more opportunities.

20. Bob M

Bob M Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I'm fortunate-2 jobs in my working life, both management. First company was hitting hard times-I saw it coming and split after 26 years. Current company-been there 23 years-retiring in December. I have had to terminate many employees in my career and while I felt it was the right thing to do, it never felt good. I think if you sit across from someone and know that the news you are about to give them can be life changing and it doesn't impact you, you should hang it up. Always treat people the way you would want to be treated yourself.

idjster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.