1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone Esquired a stock MIJ?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by chipbutty24, Nov 17, 2013.

1. chipbutty24

chipbutty24 Friend of Leo's

Wondering if I should just rewire as is or change everthing out (pots, switch, pup, etc).

With just two caps I could wire per the Eldred mod and be done with it.

Or I could swap out everything the benefit being it would be easy to return to stock.

Anyone have any experience in this regard?

2. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

I have several MIJs and I've only re-wired them if and when they needed it (pot or switch was having issues).

I wouldn't re-wire everything just because everyone says you should. And unless it's an older MIJ that for some reason would benefit from having not just the stock wiring scheme...but the actual stock wiring, I wouldn't worry about preserving the current setup. You can always easily switch it back.

3. chipbutty24

Thanks, you make a good point. Any idea what the respective lugs on the import selector switch are relative to the standard 4 per side MIA switch?

4. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

I would swap out the switch for a good Switchcraft. That's really the only shortcoming I've ever had with the MIJ teles. And it's also a under $10 part so it just makes sense.

5. Shango66

Shango66 Friend of Leo's

I'm with elmicko on this.
    The mij selector switches are getting flipped out of my mij gtrs as we speak.
    The plastic housing on those things eventually give me problems.

Yeah, I think any mij tele would make a nice esquire.

6. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

+1 on changing the switch. The good ones are only $10 so why not start fresh and relieve any issues with old part/ old solder.

Please post when you've finished your conversion. I have an MIJ and I've considered Equiring it as well.

7. superbadj

that I don't know.

So if it's easier to swap the switch to a better one so taht you know the lug layout matches most schematics...I'd do it. Again, I only swap electronics when needed (usually when/if they fail). But if it makes the new esquire wiring easier to achieve, a new switch is a small price to pay.

Note: If you ever swap out the pots, you'll likely have to drill out the holes in the control plate, as they'll be too small for standard smooth-shaft USA pots. I have one of those stepped uni-bits, and they work great for that.

The switches are interchangeable. I've never had an issue with a better switch on a Fender Japan plate. The holes line up.

8. telo

telo Tele-Meister

I'd say just get an entirely new control assembly. By the time you get a new switch and change the wiring, possibly new pots, what have you really saved? As the OP mentioned, there's always the option of going back to stock (which would be simple if all you had to do is drop it in and solder the pickup leads).

9. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

When I Esquired my 85 MIJ the switch had already been replaced. Since I don't do wiring very well I got a harness from RS Guitarworks and just dropped it in and hooked up a new pup I got from Fezzter (yeah I'm a fan).

But having said that, I took the old intact harness from my MIJ and dropped into a CV 50 Tele. The pots had gone out on it and since the MIJ pots still worked I used them and it's been working great. The pots are original just the switch had been replaced back in 95 or there abouts.

Good luck to you chipbutty

10. superbadj

But why? Why replace pots that work just fine? You save the cost of replacing the pots, caps, etc. Even if it's just $20, why waste that $20 when you're putting in a perfectly good new part to replace a perfectly good "old" part that will sound identical?

11. chipbutty24

Never had an issue with the Japanese pots but I agree the switch looks suspect. I will swap that out and leave it at that...for now.

Anyway, here she is looking the part. The AllParts guard I had lying around is an
    abysmal fit (bulges badly along the top edge) but you get the idea.

I just clipped out the neck pup, now I am motivated!

[​IMG]

12. superbadj

That's pretty!

13. telo

telo Tele-Meister

Just because. I'm exposing my own bias, but I've never had parts just sit on my bench for too long because there's always ALWAYS projects going on and having a ready to go control assembly is pretty handy. And again, the OP mentioned the option of swapping it back in easily if going back to stock or changing between Esquire/Tele. I don't think there's a 'right' answer here, just different opinions.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.