Anyone enjoy a good rum?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Ex-riverman, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Modman68

Modman68 Tele-Holic

Duplicate.

2. udoering

udoering Friend of Leo's

Ron Botucal Reserva Exclusiva; The Zacapa rums, especially the XO; Flor de Cana, too; Ron Barcelo.

wulfenganck likes this.
  3. kLyon

kLyon Tele-Meister

A South Florida homeboy! I live in LA now, but I played a bunch of calypso gigs at the Ocean Reef club on Key Largo way back in the day... ate at Alabama Jacks a bunch of times... my part of the world.

4. slickoneuk

slickoneuk TDPRI Member

With the Flor de Canada 18 my wife opened the bittle, tried it and said that it tasted like whiskey. Not impressed. But about 2 weeks later she tried it again and said OMG this is fantastic. Seems that it needs to be aired to get the best rum flavour. All bottles now get decanted for ultimate flavour release!

5. bullfrogblues

bullfrogblues Friend of Leo's

Some of my favorites have been mentioned, ie Ron Zacapa, Fundacion, Flor de Cana, Zaya.
    Here are a few more:
    Ron Cartavio XO 18.jpg
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Yes sir! Rum is my favorite. When I was cruising the Caribe in my sailboat, we had the Minister of Rum aboard. We had a get together with other boaters in the cockpit. He brought samples of many Caribe rums to try. It was fun. One rum that stood out was from Cuba , but I forget the name.
    I like dark rum, my favorite is Brugal Anejo Grande Reserva from the Dominican Republic. I've only found it once in the states when I was in Florida, haven't seen it since. It comes in a bottle covered with netting.
    Not a fan of highly touted Mount Gay for some reason, I think because I like dark crude rums... not fancy ones.
    [​IMG]
    I dont usually like spiced rums much, but I do like "Pussers Royal Navy"

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
    Boomhauer likes this.
  7. beach bob

beach bob Friend of Leo's

I don't drink anymore, but I was a rhum drinker, when I did...

The OP's tastes are much like mine... he mentioned most of the ones I reached for regularly: Mt. Gay, Pampero Anniversario... and no spiced rum for me either.

+1 on Boomhauer's Brugal suggestion. Their "regular" Anejo was my go-to for a long time... from the Dominican Republic. Very smooth for the price, I could get it for 20 bucks for a half gallon. Per Total Alcoholic, looks like it's $30/half now.

If you can find it, Santa Teresa 1796 (Venezuela) is worth splurging for.

Barcelo, also Dominican, is excellent.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It used to be a cheap pursuit, looking for good rhum. Now not so much, everyone seems to have gotten into producing super premium rum. I always wondered how much is just fancy labels, vs. actual good production methods. It's not a particularly fancy distillation process. I used to haunt little mom & pop liquor stores around Miami, hunting for underpriced, dusty bottles. I used to find great rum for $12 that was $30 in the yuppie shops.

Happy hunting! :cool:

Boomhauer likes this.
  8. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I once brought rum for a party at my girlfriend's house back in college. I bought some cheap rotgut called "St. Elmo's" or something like it. Boy did she ever give me grief about that. :D

I don't drink much, but rum is OK. Obviously, I don't know the good brands even to this day.

9. ICTRock

ICTRock Tele-Afflicted

wray and nephew overproof
    matusalem clasico
    havana club

Ex-riverman likes this.
  10. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Holic

Yes! I forgot Havana Club. Excellent stuff.

11. uriah1

uriah1 Telefied Ad Free Member

Mount gay

Ex-riverman likes this.
  12. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire

If you can get your hands on a bottle, Barrilito, from PR, is a great rum, my favorite. It's hard to find in the US, I'm not sure why. When I visited PR, years ago, you could find it in any supermarket in San Juan for about 2 bucks for the regular, and maybe 3 bucks for the dark, gold label fancy stuff. I searched it and found it on line for $40 a bottle, I can't quite believe it's gone up that much. If you see some, grab it.

Also, and I'm generally not one for flavored liquor, the Koloa Rum Company in Kauai makes a coffee rum that is insanely good, easy to get hooked on.

barrelito.png koloa kave.jpg

Ex-riverman and Teleka like this.
  13. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I've been a sailor since I was 14 and spent 4 years in the Navy so of course I drink rum. When I was stationed in Puerto Rico during Nam I discovered "Don Q". Forget about Bacardi, Don Q is the basically the only one they drink in P.R. and good stuff it is.

[​IMG]

Ex-riverman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.