1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone Else Work Nights?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by mnutz, Sep 28, 2012.

1. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

I've been working nights about 2 years now. I go to work at 10 pm, and I'm back home asleep at 7 am. I sleep till 2 pm then get up and get to hang with my family in the afternoon.

It's kind of weird after awhile. I find it easy to lose track of what day it is. Ya know you go to work on Thursday and come home on Friday, gets confusing sometimes. Also I work totally alone, I relieve one person when I arrive, and won't see another person until someone comes to relieve me in the morning. I work in a large, dark, quiet building. When I come on at 10 pm I shut everything down, then it's just me and the ghosts till 6 am.

2. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

When I was an undergrad, I had a second job as a security guard at an animal research compound. I would go through 5 buildings every hour, rarely seeing anyone. It was very peaceful, and I wrote a lot of music there. But it was very discombulating, schedule-wise.

3. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

My wife did it for about 3 years, working from 6p to 7a as an RN, three nights a week. It almost caused her an emotional break down (man, she was teetering on the edge of it). She took a few weeks off, changed to day shift (which caused a pay cut)... but started feeling better within about two weeks of going back to work. That was about 7 years ago, and she's never looked back. The extra money for working nights was not worth it to her (us).

Some people can do it long term. I don't think that most people can, depending on the job of course.

4. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Yeah I understand this exactly. I never intended to stay on this shift forever, and management knows I want days, but turnover here is very slow. I have to just keep at it until an opening comes up.

5. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I don't work nights, but I start work REALLY early in the morning-between 12:30AM and 4AM, depending on what I have going on for any particular day. Unfortunately, I rarely work a day with fewer than ten hours, and twelves are not uncommon at all, so usually when I get home I don't feel like doing much beyond flopping on the couch with my laptop for a few hours before I go to sleep. My days off are sacred, as I don't really do anything on work days except work, eat, and sleep.

6. dannew02

dannew02 Friend of Leo's

I alternate between 430-1am and 11pm-7am at my job. (And a nearly 2-hour commute) I have 2 little kids who are up at 6am every morning so sleep is more of a hobby with me right now. I totally understand the discombobulation with starting work one day, and it's a different day when you get back. I read somewhere that working nights actually lowers your life expectancy, and I can see why. Between the sleep deprivation and my screwed up sleeping schedule ("What? Sleep when it's DARK out?") I can hardly remeber what day it is ever.

7. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Afflicted

Man, that is exactly how I feel. I've read the same thing too, about night shift cutting time off your life. I feel for you on that commute. I've done long commutes before and it really wears on you. I'm lucky to live very close to my work currently.

8. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

I have been working 3 shift for at least 15 years most of the time, so every 3rd week was night shift.

Some people can do it , some people cant. Its also been a blessing when my kids were small , easier to get everything into schedule , and saved both me and the wife a lot of days off , when the kids were sick etc.....

Some people have problems with what they eat at night , try to eat as healthy as you can. Tempting to eat a lot of candy bars and other crap instead of normal food.

Extensive studies have been done over the years , and some years ago they showed some rather alarming results , with a much bigger risk of getting cancer etc. Newer studies dont confirm this , however.

I was diagnosed with Diabetes 18 months ago , and had to change my eating habits , lose weight and watch bloodsugar levels etc all the time.
    Very interesting to follow the numbers on the night shift , and just trying to find out when to take meds and so.........

Many people lose weight when working nights , even if they eat a lot. The body burns fat at night , even if you are not sleeping , and if you move around a bit its very easy to lose weight , if you eat normal , healthy, food.

I havent been working nights for 2 months now , and its good for me , at 47 I have paid my dues , I guess.........Only trouble is that the day shift is a fxxxxxg zoo compared to the night shift , LOL.......

9. yellowbeard

yellowbeard Tele-Holic

I'm at work as I type this, it took a while to get used to nights but actually I kind of like being able to sleep until noon on a daily basis.

10. metalmayhem

metalmayhem Tele-Meister

I did 2half years of getting up at 2:30am to load a truck with fruit and veg, then do deliveries until 11am. Slept from 1pm until 3 and that was 6 days a week. Felt detached, continually tired and it screwed my blood pressure. Left a year ago and feeling great. Night work isn't natural.

11. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

I did a job just out of H.S. where you were on day for three months for training, then went to "swing" (2 weeks of day, two weeks of night, two weeks of early morning.... repeat) by X-mas college was looking a WHOLE lot better..

12. bossaholic

bossaholic Friend of Leo's

I've always been a night owl and have worked nights most of my life.

In 2010, I got a job working for Nestle, making Ice Cream. I was on the 6pm to 6am shift, which I thought was going to be ok since I am normally up to 3am anyway.

I soon learned those extra three hours really took a toll on me. I would get home at 6:30am and be asleep by 7am. I'd try to get up by 1pm so I could salvage some of my day, but usually ended up sleeping until 3:30-4.

It exhausted me physically and mentally. On my days off, I slept all day, and of course up all night. I hardly saw my family, but for a couple of hours in the morning when my wife and son were getting ready for work/school.

I quit this past June and even though I am unemployed, I am a lot happier/healthier living normal hours.

13. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

I did 9 years of graveyards and as said, it worked out well when the kids were small.

In your case , as mine the quiet was a blessing. I found it much better than dealing with stressed out people during the day. In fact, I didn't have to do it, but I chose to.

My advice is to get enough sleep, but not too much. The body starts to want to sleep all the time that way. Get your 8 hours a day if you can. ( I got between 4 & 6)
    Also get out into the daylight, go for a walk or whatever in the daylight. Eat properly and get your excercise and your body should be able to cope.

I know some people who bought those lamps for SAD and found them a real help as well. The body needs certain light.

Above all, keep positive... you are working and not unemployed and you are not doing it for nothing or forever. It will end one day.

Take care, all the best.

14. Swee_tone

Swee_tone Tele-Holic

Oh, and one more thing... watching the sun come up is the most beautiful time of day!

15. Lunchie

Lunchie Poster Extraordinaire

I have worked all shifts and currently working second. I would like to get back to first shift only because its a pain in the butt to try and get up early on my days off. I tend to want to sleep until 2 when I need to be up at 9...

My job is a lot easier on second then it would be on days. I have seniority on nights, and I make sure the work load is evenly distributed between everyone. On days I would be low man and I would get dumped on all day everyday...

16. marc13

marc13 Tele-Meister

I used to work nights at a warehouse, and I have to be honest with you, I rather liked it.....I'm a night person at heart though...I'd sleep in until about 3 or so, wake up, enjoy a few good hours of daylight, then back to my favorite time of day, night time. :D I don't know why, but it worked great, I felt great all the time, can work just as hard all night as during the day, no problems staying awake/alert......I now work until late evenings, but not nearly as late as I used to.

17. AndyLowry

AndyLowry Friend of Leo's

I used to be a third-shift line cook. After about a month, it becomes normal to be awake at those hours. It's actually kind of nice to be active when the rest of the world is asleep, as everything is much quieter. It changes one's perspective.

18. StuH

StuH Friend of Leo's

Do shift work all the time.

I prefer the night owl shifts myself. No self-serving middle management types to deal with. Get more done because there is less interference.

19. younkint

younkint Tele-Afflicted

I'm a professional owl. Hate seeing the sun come up ...unless I'm about to bag some z's. :cool:

I'm starting on my 30th year of it at this job. Had another working similar hours for about five years before this one.

I go to work at 4 PM and get off around 4:30 AM. Right - that's not eight hours, it's an 11 1/2 hour "day." We do seven of these in a row, then off for a week. Yee Haw! A vacation every other week!

What, you ask is this kind of work? Fixing helicopters. They fly them (and break them) during the day, we fix them during the night. Simple. Works great. Pays good, too. I love it! I get to stay up late every night, and get paid for it! :)

20. StuH

StuH Friend of Leo's

Similar to me except we do three full week at 12 hour days then get three full weeks off. You can have a real good vacation with 21 days off.

EDIT: would much rather a 2 week in 2 week out rotation though

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.