Anyone else vowed not to buy any guitars in 2020?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by kohoutec, Jan 3, 2020.

1. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

So, it's May. I still haven't bought any new guitars... But I didn't say anything about partscasters so technically they're allowed? [emoji16]
    Just bought a nice body and some paint...

2. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Just a word of caution. I have had guitars I didn't bond with for years. Then one day I picked it up and the magic happened. Don't be hasty and get rid of guitars.

Only add guitars.....

P Thought likes this.
  3. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I fell off the wagon...bought a 1920's Vega 5 string, with the "Professional" package. Small shop in Mass had it, I felt sorry for it, and them with this stupid virus thing. It needed a lot of work, and I'm just the sucker for it. PS - its not a guitar, so I guess I can technically still remain compliant.

jayyj likes this.
  4. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

Still haven't fallen off the wagon.
    Zero guitar bought the year.

kohoutec likes this.
  5. carpenter

carpenter Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Still holding strong nothing new for 7 months. Although I was thinking do trades count?
    I do have that 72 tele neck and that brass bridge all i need is a body.

6. zippofan

zippofan Tele-Afflicted

Made it to May and gave into GAS :D
    CV Starcaster on order!

7. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm pretty confident that I won't be buying a guitar this year.

Maybe an audio interface and a condenser mic and some headphones though...

8. Bassman8

Bassman8 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I vowed not to buy any musical gear for 2020 and beyond because I convinced myself I have everything I need. A few close calls but so far so good.

9. Hippieway

Hippieway Tele-Holic

It's a vow I take ever year, but being the sinner I am and GAS being the Devils handmaiden...I have fallen annually.

10. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

Partscasters definitely don't count. I started the thread, I make the rules [emoji16]
    Despite the fact it ended up costing similar to a decent MIM this definitely doesn't count, especially if my wife asks...

It's certainly cured any Tele GAS for a while anyway, and if I can get through the year with just this purchased, I'll see it as a decent achievement[​IMG]

zippofan likes this.
  11. JIMMY JAZZMAN

JIMMY JAZZMAN Tele-Holic

MY wife "vowed" for me. I'm such a wuss. HA, HA...

12. stormsedge

stormsedge Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

...and five guitars since :oops:. BUT, no more guitars this year, bc now I have amp GAS ;).

13. julmust

julmust Tele-Meister

not buy any guitar in 2020?? Too late, arrrggg...

14. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

As the OP on this thread I thought I would give an end of year report. Basically I failed

But in my defence compared to the previous year I was positively restrained.
    Forgive me father for I have sinned...

So there was the partscaster I've already posted in this thread, I was allowing that one as strictly speaking I didn't buy a whole, assembled guitar (I know....)

But, then a Gordon Smith came up on eBay a few months ago. I happened to notice it was shipping in one of the old gen 1 Gibson 'chainsaw' protector cases which are worth a decent amount of money these days. So took a punt on that, the case wasn't in great condition (one of the latches was broken and one hinge was coming apart) but I still got £150 for the case, meaning the guitar ended up costing me just under £140 which was an utter bargain as it's brilliant fun.

Then I got a strange urge for an SG. I've never liked SGs so I'm not quite sure why, but one came up reasonably local with a decent neck that didn't dive. Took me a day of playing it to confirm I still don't like SGs so that one was flipped within a week.

Then, realising my mistake (I need another Tele!) jumped on a decent priced 50s Baja that came up on eBay. My first Tele was a Baja, from the same year, but I ended up selling it to a friend and have always regretted it. This one is nicer, and basically in mint condition so did well.
    That's it! 4 guitars one of which I didn't keep and another that's a partscaster. I think that's okay, if not quite the original plan.

All that said, I'm making no such pledge again in January.

[Edit] damn, one more I forgot about. A really cheap (£20) Strat copy I got to practice fret work on, ended up giving it to one of my kids, so that one doesn't count, obviously....

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  15. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

I failed too.

Cheers,
    Geoff

kohoutec likes this.
  16. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Yes, yes I did. Thought it would be OK to buy a bass in February, hardy har har. Then I built a Tele from a kit I bought. And found and bought a guitar ( THE actual guitar) I owned in the 80’s. And that cute weird Paranormal Cabronita. And another guitar I sold off a long time ago ( same model, not same guitar as far as I know). And a Martin this month.

Yes, yes, I vowed not to buy a guitar in 2020. I bought 6.

kohoutec likes this.
  17. 62 Jazzmaster

62 Jazzmaster Friend of Leo's

I sold a vintage guitar and several months later bought a cheaper project, so I figure I kept my resolution.

The project is a Profile SuperStrat that just needed assembly, set-up and some remedying of intermittent electronic faults.

[​IMG]

The original owner painted over the Profile log, will see if I can dig one up.

[​IMG]

Not mine, but the same model:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2020
  18. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

I almost made it, but I bought a Gretsch short scale bass a few weeks ago. I don't feel bad about it though, I've already put down bass tracks on two songs.

And my wonderful, beautiful wife surprised me with a Ric 360 as a wedding present in March.

19. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I think I’m technically clear, though I did buy my kid a bass for Christmas.

kohoutec likes this.
  20. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Update: 'That one' never happened, but I still ended up buying four guitars this year. Sold one.

- D

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.