Anyone else practicing yoga, meditation, mindfulness and/or deep breathing

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Big_Bend, Jan 25, 2021.

1. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

Learned TM around 1973 while in college and noticed immediate, positive results. My GPA went up over one point, and my way of processing information changed from more rote memorization to a more relativistic understanding of data and events. It helped me to be more focused.

These days, playing guitar gives me the same relaxation and focus that I seemed to get from TM, and I still meditate several times a week.

telemnemonics and Obsessed like this.
  2. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. I won't go into great detail about my own 'journey'. But I will just say that in recent months I have engaged more fully in a basic mindfulness meditation routine that works for me, with excellent results, for lack of a better term.

EDIT: A basic form of choiceless awareness practice.

I focus not just on breathing, but on all my senses 'in the room', as it were. In the past I would try to block everything out, only focus on breath, or some mental routine. But now I focus on "everything" that is occurring in the present moment, in the room. About 15-30 mins several days is about as good as I can maintain, and so far is good enough for me. It's working as good or better for stress, attention/focus, mood, etc... for me than anything else has up to this point in my life.

Academically and philosophically I happen to know quite a bit about mindfulness theory and practice. But more recently I've actively tried to move away from the intellectual aspect and really work on the simple practice of maintaining present awareness with nonjudgement and non-attachment. It's what I need most right now in my life.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    unfamous and Big_Bend like this.
  3. imwjl

imwjl Doctor of Teleocity

I've added some yoga to my overall attempts to keep the body and brain active. At times I realize slowing down and awareness of breath helps. In the work day that's for stress and concentration. For sport and athletic stuff it helps keep my heart rate in a better zone.

I confess none of this is with the organization, discipline or philosophy many have. At best I respond to the nudges from my Apple Watch and inner hedonist but it all helps with my 6th decade of life.

elihu likes this.
  4. JL_LI

JL_LI Poster Extraordinaire

At 70 my body doesn’t twist or bend like that and trying to match moves with a 20 something in yoga pants would stop my heart cold.

Mindfulness? That’s thinking about the 20 something in yoga pants. I can still do that.

elihu, Dirty Dave and telemaster03 like this.
  5. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I occasionally do Baguazhang and Qigong exercises I learned a while ago. I probably should do them more often, especially to help with my hip injuries.

beanluc and Big_Bend like this.
  6. SPUDCASTER

SPUDCASTER Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

All admirable qualities for a future TDPRI moderator.

Big Bend, you now have my support and vote.:)

Sounds like you'll have a steady hand.

Big_Bend and basher like this.
  7. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

My problem is focus.

After about 1.5 minutes of breathing, I start thinking about whats the weather going to be like, wheres my Amazon package, what bridge do I want for my new build?

The next thing I know, I'm off down some mental side trail!

unfamous likes this.
  8. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Been meditating one way or another for 50 years. Stretching and a minor bit of yoga daily and an hour of yoga weekly. I'm better for all of it.

Big_Bend likes this.
  9. basher

basher Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

That's the central challenge, isn't it? All that serenity stuff is a myth; it's really hard work. After all this time I find that I can attain a clear undistracted focus on the present moment for about 3 to 5% of the time. I count that as doing pretty well.

Big_Bend likes this.
  10. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

When I was relatively newly into meditation, my daughter's partner (now husband) said, "I'd never be able to calm my mind down enough to meditate". I explained to him that if he could, he wouldn't benefit from meditation. The whole practice of meditating is the quest to quiet your mind. You meditate to quiet your mind, you don't quiet your mind to meditate. I don't think I convinced him, but I think explaining that to him actually helped convince ME of it - to really internalize what I was doing.

Sometimes I meditate and I never do calm my mind and the thoughts keep racing around for the whole 20 minutes. Most of the time, I mostly calm my mind - some thoughts creep in by they kind of float on by rather than really taking root and causing me to engage with them. I'm still aware of myself but it's a kind of floaty, unfocussed awareness. And sometimes, I go really deep and it's like I'm not there for a while. I'm just gone. And then I'm back. It's not llke sleep - I've had 61 years of experience with sleeping and it's not close to the same thing. I just kind of lose all awareness for a while. And when I get back, it's one of the nicest feelings imaginable. Calm doesn't even begin to describe it.

I never know in advance how well it's gonna go, but if I put in the time every day, the overall benefit is undeniable. I'm most aware of it if I miss a few days - I feel so much better when I start up again. If I managed to do it twice a day, the benefits would be even greater - I did that for the first couple years and it made a bigger difference. But over time, I just found it harder and harder to do when I'd wake up in the morning, so now I usually just do it once, sometime in the late afternoon...

-Ray

Rocky058, Big_Bend and DekeDog like this.
  11. TwangToInfinity

TwangToInfinity Tele-Afflicted

i have done some yoga and i think it helps with stiffness and circulation but i dont meditate at all though.

it is not for me i'd rather nap

12. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I too learned TM in 1973 as a freshman in college. My parents practiced it while I was in high school. I still do TM to meditate to center myself, get rid of a headache, or make up for lost sleep. Otherwise, as a former Aikido student, I now practice Tai Chi on a daily basis for my regular meditation. The knowledge and practice of all three have given me a great deal of internal spirit.

Rocky058 likes this.
  13. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

I have wanted to learn Tai Chi, but the times I've tried to learn it via DVD, I became frustrated with trying to duplicate the movements exactly... probably just gave up too quickly. So much requires discipline if nothing more than just devoting the time. The older I get, the less motivation I have for self-discipline when I've needed it for most of my life, already. Probably need it now more than ever.

One thing I've noticed about doing TM is that when you initially begin to introduce your mantra, I go deeper faster when I start the mantra more softly or remotely or with less volume and detail in my brain. Like impulses instead of distinct syllables. Hard to explain.

Obsessed likes this.
  14. Steerforth

Steerforth Friend of Leo's

Firesign Theater, the album, “A Child’s Garden of Grass”, the cut, “Meditation”.

I’m not going to embed it because it contains things that people might find offensive.

But you can find it on YouTube if you want to hear it.

15. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You guys are scaring me, I'm gonna go find me a nice tonewood thread. Lemme see now about this thing you guys are talking about, Ahhhmmm gonna set right down and write myself a letter, and make believe I never opened this thread! :eek::eek::eek::eek::D

NoTeleBob and black_doug like this.
  16. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Friend of Leo's

You all realize that just sitting down with your guitar for a half hour covers all of the OP's concerns.

scook likes this.
  17. beanluc

beanluc Tele-Afflicted

You really need a teacher for tai chi.

Qigong is virtually all the same benefits of tai chi (other than the veneer of self-defense skills, as tai chi is a martial art wrapped in qigong) and much much easier to learn. And you can experience benefits VERY quickly, which provides motivation.

Not telling anyone what to do, just sharing a super positive option which might appeal to people who can't pursue tai chi effectively.

These arts are about what it does to your insides, so, getting the form just right is the least important part. The breathing is more important and the sensations and awareness of deeper and deeper layers of your physical and energetic motions is most important.

There are qigong teachers who are able to convey this in digital media. I'm convinced that there are not tai chi teachers who can.

unfamous, Big_Bend and DekeDog like this.
  18. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I have been practicing this stuff for ages. I call it "naptime".

I do like that yoga bench thing. I would need it to have a lift though, possibly a set of handrails. Also, I'd need dog protection too. If I get on the floor, Rocket thinks I'm one of his play toys.

NoTeleBob likes this.
  19. Big_Bend

Big_Bend Poster Extraordinaire

Speaking of Eckhart Tolle I have really enjoyed his book The Power of Now... have listened to his audio version several times, which he narrates. That book is amazing and has really helped me a great deal to lower anxiety about the future, become more stoic, and stay mindful in the present.

The now is the only thing that is real, and there is much to be grateful for here in the now. Worrying about the future is a complete waste of time, and of course the past is too. Sure, we want to be prepared for what may come, but worrying and getting anxious or depressed about it doesn't help at all.

I'll check out his A New Earth book someday too.

---

Thanks everybody for the wonderful responses in this thread! All very much appreciated...

20. Throttleneck

Throttleneck Tele-Afflicted

So no one would probably guess this from my posts but I am an ordained Soto Zen priest. I am a priest in training so don't expect me to actually know anything. But I have done Tokudo etc. So that means I have been sitting (what we call Shikantaze) for a long time - since the 80s. I started studying Zen at the Minnesota Zen Center.

Soto is different than Mindfulness - think different schools with a different focus.

I can be still be an ahole, but I would be a much bigger ahole if not for my practice. :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.