1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone else notice MF hawking GC's used gear?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Chud, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Recently I noticed whenever searching for gear on MF that used options would come up. I didn't think anything of it until today when I was on the fence about a pedal, and a well priced used option came up when I was close to picking up a new one. Turns out that MF and GC have linked up their online marketplaces, and MF is now acting as a vendor of GC's used stock.

Just to test out the system, I went ahead and purchased the used pedal from GC through MF.

Not a rant, not a complaint, just observed something different and thought it interesting enough to share on a Tuesday. Carry on. :lol::lol:

Fearnot, 24 track and Greggorios like this.
  2. Nahtabot

Nahtabot Tele-Meister

[​IMG]

brbadg, Bella and Fretting out like this.
  3. JSMac

JSMac Tele-Meister

I believe they are owned by the same company and have been for about 20 years.

4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Yep, just saw that last week. Probably pretty new. Odd though, because GC's huge used inventory is way down from earlier.

5. Chud

Uh, yep. Lol.

Yeah, pretty recent change to the site. I can't speak to changes in GC's used inventory, but maybe the move with MF is a big cause of that. :lol:

6. Whatizitman

Whatizitman Friend of Leo's

They share the same new inventory. All the open box and clearance come up for both. Been that way for a while. But used stuff coming up on searches is new, AFAIK.

7. Chud

I wasn’t aware (or hadn’t noticed) the open box and clearance stuff linked as well. Good to know.

8. Ted Keane

Ted Keane Tele-Meister Gold Supporter

They all tie in with Reverb,Esty and ebay.

9. Chud

And you know that Etsy now owns Reverb, right?

f9a2a54d348696e23b0f1e451d8d2e76_w200.gif

10. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

GC and MF are children of the same parent. As far as I know always were.

MF seems more online oriented and GC seems more physical store front oriented.

If I am right about that, a shift toward MF marketing seems to be inevitable under the current circumstances.

And...
    Fwiw, my local GC has never been able to get their shrit together to list used inventory online, so maybe this is an improvement.

11. OneWatt

OneWatt TDPRI Member

In addition, I believe their online presence is one and the same behind-the-scenes (physical inventory, fulfillment, operations, accounting/HR team, etc.) with a different "wrapper" on the front end to make us all believe there's competition between them. There isn't ;-)

12. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

Yup.

13. loco gringo

loco gringo Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I think MF's main purpose was to be able to sell online without charging tax. It used to be that if you had a store in a state, you had to charge tax if you sold something and shipped it to that state. Every state had a GC, so MF allowed the no tax to happen. With the new online sales tax laws, that isn't the thing it used to be.

I bought a couple of gig bags on the MF STOTD not too long ago and they shipped from the GC that is a couple of miles from my house.

14. honeycreek

honeycreek Tele-Afflicted

I wonder if it is free shipping?

15. hdvades

hdvades Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Just got a sweet used Gibby SG Std for a good price recently from GC. They own a few subsidiaries.

16. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Seems like I get a email every week from Guitar Center saying that they're buying used gear. Maybe they're low on new inventory and they're trying to get used gear to sell. I know production is down in many areas right now.

17. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I'm glad they're hawking used gear!

I recently wanted to buy a new TC Electronics Ditto looper pedal but they're mostly sold out all over the country--
    unless you want to pay the $30 extra some dealers are charging,
    or join Amazon Prime which I want no part of.

Got a MF used one:
    Mine's in really good shape, and sounds good.

18. Chud

Nope, same shipping as used gear coming directly through GC's site.

19. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

a word of warning: I bought a "new" guitar off of GC that arrived not working correctly, dinged-up, dirty, missing case candy, etc -- pretty clearly a floor model from someplace that had been worked pretty hard. The manufacturer (Music Man) was kind enough to take this orphan in and get it set up and working correctly and in the end I got a great guitar for a great price -- and about two months of hassle. MF "open box" stuff has always been a pretty good bet -- somebody bought it, played it for a week & returned it. But the GC stuff is a real pig in a poke.

Jakedog likes this.
  20. still_fiddlin

still_fiddlin Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

GC owns/oversees MF (which consumed the Music123 and Musician .coms a while back I guess), as well as Woodwind & Brasswind and Music & Arts, possibly more.

I saw the open box stuff showing up in both places a while back but rarely visit MF since the tax laws finally equalized those businesses, so didn't see any used equipment. Because I'm just a few miles from a GC, I actually like their used equipment policy. Pick it up in the store means you can open the box and just say "no thanks" on the spot, or take it home for a month and a half, and return it for any reason at all without any shipping hassle/cost.

If MF is delivering stuff to GC stores, I would expect that some of that open box merchandise is coming from a GC store return (maybe even shipped directly from there), so I kind of doubt you can assume much difference in condition/quality based on the words in front of .com when dealing with any of those places that all are feeding at the same trough.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.