Anyone else miss the Classic Series?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Twang Tone, Jul 13, 2020.

1. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I was lucky enough to buy one of the first production year Classic 50s, from a dealer in Nashville, that’s on its 3rd Fender 50s replacement neck. Wonderful guitar, although I did put a pair of Duncans in it, since those early Mex pickups weren’t very good. A while later, I added a ‘70s Classic Strat. Both fabulous guitars and the two of many that I enjoy most!

2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

They pushed the spec up a lot with the 50s and 60s Bajas. Those guitars are probably the best bang per buck p. th. at Fender will ever produce

AndrewG likes this.
  3. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Classic 50s Tele here. Great neck, light weight. I like the steel saddles too.

IMG_20190126_151957689.jpg

4. PJ55

My 50s was pre-owned and I think I paid $400 for it, with a G&G tweed case. It was barely ever played.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2020
  5. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

I can't miss what I never had. But I've contemplated buying the 60's Classic more than once: I don't own (and yet never have owned) any rosewood fretboard Telecaster and this model was affordable and had all of the basic specs I like (7.25 radius, vintage frets, and -yes- poly finish). Too bad they're discontinued, IMO.
    Oh well... maybe one day if I find one used (but it seems like people don't get rid of them too often)

6. TwangerWannabe

TwangerWannabe Tele-Holic

My favorite Teles were the older "Pumpkincaster" 52AVRI's and the Classic 50's Teles. Consequently, the necks on both of those guitars were eerily similar, if not identical as far as neck profile. I've owned several of the Classic 50's Teles (three in white blonde, one in 2-tone burst) and a 2008 52AVRI. Also owned a PV52 but couldn't bond with the neck on those. Never liked the color of the Pumpkincasters, but loved the feel and sound. The quality of the Classic 50's Teles was for the most part fantastic, but I have always been a fan of bursts with binding, so I just took everything I liked about both guitars and built my own.

Took the same pickups used in the older 52AVRI's (Fender OV's), a Classic 50's neck with a bit of flame in it, all Fender parts aside from the CVC body and a StewMac Golden Age harness w/4-way switch, bone nut, had the frets leveled, crowned and polished and have a killer Tele.

The best part of the Classic 50's Teles was the neck. Fender still sells them as an aftermarket part in both poly and nitro. They used to be a really good deal when the poly version was $199 and the nitro version was $249, but looks like Fender has jacked up the price of these necks by $100!! Still a great neck and one to consider if you're building a partscaster and want a great Fender neck with a 7.25 radius and vintage frets.

[​IMG]

AndrewG likes this.
  7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I paid $ 400 also, for a sunburst 3 piece ash 50s Classic Esquire. There was essentially no evidence it had even been played, between when it was manufactured in 2004 and when I spotted it for sale used in 2007. Why, it wasn't even set up, I mean, the little E nut slot was too deep and too narrow and an open note was basically impossible.

Otherwise, really nice fit and finish. Am I extra careful, not to chip the heavy polyester body finish? Yes. But it is still a whole lot of guitar for that kind of money.

8. PJ55

Boris...like you, I’ve had a number of Telecasters, going back to ‘70 and a few other Fenders in the late ‘60s. This is by far the best Fender guitar I’ve had over the many years! And I have to admit, the build quality was a lot better in 1997 in Mexico, than I remember it as a kid.

Attached Files:

boris bubbanov likes this.
  9. 41144

41144 Friend of Leo's

Not got it any longer but, beyond doubt one of the best guitars I've ever owned was a Classic 60s Tele.

mimmo likes this.
  10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I hear you but I have a circa '99 Classic Series '69 Thinline in ash, and the build quality IMO was quite good. My decision to replace so many of the parts besides the body was, the guitar was lovingly but well used, and the 1 Meg pots and steel saddles had to go anyway, and I moved the Seymour STK T3B into an Esquire where it does a better job. I think the worst thing about the guitar was those trapezoidal body sort of split tuning machines but the ones on the guitar are little worse than spanking brand new machines of that same design going into some Fender USA AO models even today.

11. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

I had a nice Fiesta red 50s Strat which the previous owner had refretted with medium jumbos (vintage style frets are a little too vintage for my taste). Played great, and Fiesta red happens to be my favourite Strat 'custom' colour-especially with gold hardware.

12. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

I bought a 6 month old White Blonde Lacquer 50s Classic for less than the (then) new price of the poly version. It came with a small Orange practice amp, brand new Boss TU3 tuner pedal and some other iPad connection cables and was (still is) spotless.

I've made a number of changes, though it's now mostly back to standard (bar Fender OV pickups that I already had when I bought it). I've tried it as an Esquire and as a black guard, now it's fitted with later 60s style parts like flat top knobs, top hat switch and later string tree. Small details, but just to distance it a little from my home assembled '54 style Esquire.

I love how mine plays as I've owned a Strat since 1982 that has a 7.25" radius and vintage frets, so I'm very much used to that. However, my Esquire has a fat U neck with 9.5" radius and taller frets, but I find it a nice change to swap between the two guitars.

Here they are together:
    Tele & Esq 3.jpg

heffus likes this.
  13. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I agree with your premise and don’t think it’s disrespectful to Fender owners. I have several Teles, Strat & a vintage P-Bass that I love. I do think Fender marketing is for the birds though

It seems like each new model is supposed to be more vintage than the previous vintage-like model. When your claim to fame is trying to make things like you used to (but never quite succeeding), something is off.

Fender *has* made technical improvements over the years, but that’s not their identity. Their identity is guitars designed in the 50s (or late 40s). Their strategy is to keep you buying ever-closer to original models but never quite getting there. Or they will happily sell you a variation of something designed in the 50s but with some new twist to make it more cool & relevant.

I agree that it would be more honest to reduce the variations of the classic models and make new models (over the years that would be things like the Jaguar or Starcaster).

But what I think doesn’t matter. As long as it’s profitable, Fender will go on doing what they are doing.

Personally, as a customer, I find FMIC’s marketing insulting to my intelligence. But I don’t expect anyone else to feel that way.

I’ll be me, you be you. But please don’t jump on someone from posting an opinion that’s different than yours. Sometimes you can pick up a point you’d never read in a “Me too!-Only” forum.

14. bobbyfg

bobbyfg TDPRI Member

damm. I just have a thought about selling my candy apple red Telecaster Classic 60s to get a new Mustang p90 player series. But seeing you guys just make me wanna hold my thoughts about selling it.

15. Footsore

Footsore TDPRI Member

I just bought an Olympic White body and a Candy Apple Red body. The White body has a 50s vintage lacquer neck coming and the CAR is getting one of the new Vintera 60s mod roasted maple necks. I like the way you can buy these genuine parts and build up the way you want.

16. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

Prices are crazy. Just the neck and body together are the same price as a new Vintera

17. Gregorski

Gregorski TDPRI Member

if a white blonde lacquer came up in great condition used I’d probably snap it up. I’ve never played one but I’ve heard great things and if I didn’t like it then I could sell for what I paid. That white blond with tinted neck looks superb

50hz and KelvinS1965 like this.
  18. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

Some find the neck tint a bit too 'orange' but I'm fine with it. I think mine has darkened over time on mine though.

19. 50hz

50hz Tele-Meister

I've always got an eye out for the 50s nitro version in white. I don't much mind the tint on the necks and love the glossy feel of them. Got a fiesta red Jag from the series and it's one of my fav's for practicing.

20. PJ55

My ‘50s Classic was one of the early ones made in the late ‘90s. It pre-dates the nitro model and its on its 2nd neck (Fender of course) but it’s my absolute favorite Tele. And, I have a few.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.