Anyone else miss the Classic Series?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Twang Tone, Jul 13, 2020.

1. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

I know I do. In particular, the ash-bodied 50s Telecaster & 50s Esquires. That 50s Telecaster Lacquer version was nice, too. Just something about that C shape, 7.25" neck that fits my left hand like a glove.

Anyone else scouring the classifieds for used Classic Series Fenders, or am I alone?

naveed211, '64 Tele and Fendereedo like this.
  2. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I miss the classic series 60s. I wanted to buy a new one in white, but the new one is the Vintera with a Bigsby stuck on it, and I loathe Bigsby's.

mimmo likes this.
  3. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

At least here in the UK they do come up used sometimes. Usually they have ugly poly finish chips and chunks though.

4. jfgesquire

jfgesquire Tele-Holic

Build your own?

A friend has a LPB Classic Series Stratocaster and it's beautiful. I wanted a 60s Tele myself, but went a different route since the series is gone.

American Performer body, which is routed for vintage bridge and recessed ferrules, Allparts TRO-62 neck, round laminated rosewood, 7.25" radius, and the rest of the cosmetic stuff is Fender 60s spec parts.

All in the price was less than a used Classic Series and I got exactly what I wanted. 20200608_102129~3.jpg

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  5. kris ford

kris ford Tele-Meister

I found a still as new '19 Classic Series Tele Custom, the last of the run, and have a '99 CS 50s, I love them! Have had several CS Strats as well.

I have a Vintera Tele Deluxe, and while its great and does feel like a CS, I do wish they would have left the maple necks on the 70s models not tinted as much..Classic Series were more vintage correct in that aspect by just using CLEAR poly....yes, there are some that gained that honey amber color, (Buddy Guy's comes to mind), but most are still pretty clear and light (with headstock face of course darkening some)

I hope to snag another NOS Classic series again soon someday, thankfully they are still out there!

6. BuckNekkid

BuckNekkid Tele-Meister

Marketing hooey. I mean, "Hey, I'm looking at a 2016 reissue of a 2007 vintage '52..." WTF?

I'm more inclined to respect the PRS, ESP, Charvel, and other vendors who don't try to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

When Fender has to stoop to putting new labels on their guitars in the hopes of selling more sow's ears it says more about the company than it does the product they make. I'd be just as happy if Fender was to simply issue a line of single coil fat necks, single coil thin necks, humbucker fat necks and humbucker thin necks (if you get my drift) and focus more on improving the technology than just slapping a new color on a slab of wood and then dragging it behind a pickup truck.

Tim S likes this.
  7. stantheman

stantheman Doctor of Teleocity

I still have one.
    It weighs a freakin’ ton.
    It looks like the one Steve Cropper had when Stax did the UK Tour. With a Blackguard it looks like Vince Gill’s with a rosewood board.

For a strictly rhythm guy it’s the perfect guitar.
    I suppose if I retuned a half step down She’d be manageable. This is why I don’t like 7.25” and crappy Vintage frets.
    FMIC markets Leo’s bad ideas as “art.”*

*Is anyone out there naive enough to believe that a 1959
    Les Paul Standard would sell for 250,000K if it had a radius
    of 7.25” and Fender “Vintage Frets”?
    Anyone?

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  8. 1revcapps

1revcapps TDPRI Member

I just lucked into finding a 2006 Classic 50’s tele in excellent condition. It’s now the guitar I reach for the most.

kris ford likes this.
  9. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Had a number of them and even tho the vintera is very similar the price is up a god bit and i don't like the colors. I do like that they have a modified version of each model with a 9.5 board and bigger frets, but they also only make those with sating backs and i HATE satin necks. So yeah, i do miss them. Especially the colors and lower price. I sold my vintage white 2006 classic 60s tele a long while back and kicked myself a million times over that but could not for the life of me find another locally. (won't buy online) Looked for years but finally gave up. Saw one in CL not long ago at a rather high price and it apparently sold in literally an hour or so because when i looked again later that day it was gone. Kicking myself for selling my mary kaye 50s tele too, but i recently bought a 2002 classic series 69 thinline for a great price and i am loving it.

10. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I didn't realize it was gone...
    So I didn't miss it ...

11. ataylor

ataylor Tele-Meister

I miss the 69 Thinline.

I’d love to see Fender do a modified version with 50s neck in the Vintera series. I’d settle for the normal one in some of the car colors though.

12. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I still think the poly on the necks of the 50s Classic and 69 Classic Thinline, messed those up to a degree. It meant the life of the fretwire was effectively reduced by 30% IMO.

I liked their neck profiles better than the 60s Classic, but vintage sized fretwire over clean rosewood, hard to beat that.

heffus likes this.
  13. kohoutec

kohoutec Tele-Meister

I had one of the lacquer 50s in white blonde. It was 7lb on the nose. The only thing I didn't like about it was the pumpkin coloured neck. I do miss it though, the neck shape was so comfy

14. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

I've had a couple of Classic Strats which were nice, but I really miss the Classic Player models; the Baja Tele and 60s Strat especially. Really fine, high quality instruments. I haven't been impressed with the recent Player series; two recent purchases had to be returned because of significant flaws.

15. voskarp

voskarp Tele-Holic

I got one before they disappeared from the shops. Modified the pickups (neck pickup twice). It's a really nice guitar.

Cl.60's.Tele..jpg

16. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Methinks you're in the wrong spot, bro.

Also: no one is doing reissues of a reissue. So, that's an imagined problem.

But yeah, this is a forum about a guitar designed in the early 50s, which has been relatively steady since then (with a few alterations), including loads of ones specifically spec'd out like the early ones.

If that's not your thing and PRS/ESP/Charvel are, that's great. But why act like your POV is more valid than anyone else's? While I'm not sure that "improving technology" really means in terms of a wood-bodied electric guitar ("improvements" are highly subjective in this context, not objective, and there isn't a lot of "technology" in the instrument anyway), you do you.

The OP misses the Classic Series because they're a nice mix of features in his opinion, and he was wondering if others agreed. You don't, and that's cool, but trying to invalidate his opinion by putting down the entire concept of guitars modeled after older guitars isn't adding anything to the conversation IMHO.

Put it this way, you could have essentially said "Not me, I find nothing interesting personally in reissues of older designs, I really like stuff that's pushing forward, exploring new ideas/shapes/technology in the instrument." But instead you decided to insult anything that doesn't fall in line with your very specific, very narrow idea of what should be.

You don't have to agree w/the OP obviously. But having a little humility and realizing that your ideas are just one of many others is a good step towards more productive, interesting, and engaging discussions. Pissing on everyone else that things differently won't get you there.

17. Twang Tone

Twang Tone Friend of Leo's

Exactly.

18. rstaaf

rstaaf Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Fender is still selling Classic Series bodies and necks, you can build your own. Just peruse the Electric Guitar Parts section on Fender’s website. There are also lots of them up on eBay...

https://shop.fender.com/en-US/search?q="classic series"

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=fender+"classic+series"+(tele,telecaster)+&_sacat=0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
    Fendereedo likes this.
  19. Willy-son

Willy-son TDPRI Member

Meet its twin! 2015 model with Pure Vintage 64 bridge and Seymour Duncan Seth Lover neck. Feels like what a 60s Tele should feel like with the 7.25 radius and smaller frets. Unfortunately they changed from rosewood to Pau Ferro in 2017. I had a first year 60s issue in olympic white as well. Regretted selling it ever since. The come up on eBay and Reverb every now and then. I miss the classic series.

Unknown.jpeg

kinkstah and voskarp like this.
  20. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.