1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone else just plug straight in could be a fad but hoping to find my sound

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by teleplayer99, Apr 9, 2021.

1. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Meister

I have always used reverb, tremolo, and a drive pedal until now. But plugged straight in today and did all sorts of comparisons.

Just play at home these days, and I do have a 5 watt amp with pine cabinet. I find that I much prefer the sound I am getting now sans pedals.

I think the amp cabinet plays a part with great chime (and I think mild reverb) and I get power tube OD depending on picking dynamics.

2. J. Bonkosky

J. Bonkosky Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I plug straight into my Orange OR15. And also my Super reverb.

3. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Straight in is good. Large fender amps with a long reverb tank ALWAYS sound better than a pedal, but most of the time, if I like the sound of the amp, straight in is optimal for playing around at home.

I have a more useful/versatile pedal board now than I did when I was in multiple gigging bands, but straight into my 5e5 or Supro are what I prefer lately.

Obviously this changes if I'm playing with others and need pedals.

Maguchi, Marc Morfei and nojazzhere like this.
  4. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I would actually LOVE to be able to gig going straight into the amp. Unfortunately, playing covers, I have to occasionally step on a pedal or two. In my defense, about half the time I'm only using the amp's onboard reverb, and my pedal board is completely off.

Marc Morfei likes this.
  5. davo8411

davo8411 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Almost all plugging straight in, which leaves my overblown pedal board unused.

Maguchi, Paddles12 and RM59 like this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

My signature sound is my modded Sheraton straight into a 6 watt amp, but I use a pedal board with other guitars or for covers.

larsjm and JL_LI like this.
  7. John_B

John_B Tele-Meister

I plug in straight with a bit of reverb for my clean country playing and roots music doodling. When I practice and play tiny gigs I do not want to be dependent on pedals. I just want to plug in and go! This afternoon I plugged into a 7 band E Q pedal, to see if I could just fine tune my tone. It really worked. I increased my sought after tone by 20 o/o. I am very impressed and wished I had done this a long time ago.

8. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I don’t use effects but don’t go straight in either. I use a BOSS EQ-200 equalizer for tone shaping. Rolling off low frequencies improves clarity from humbuckers and Filter-Trons. Rolling off highs removes ice pick from single coils. I use the 5watt setting on my amp and a touch of on board reverb. The gain on my Mesa Boogie is set so digging in finger style puts a little edge and compression on the note that comes right off with my normal finger style. I do need effects to accompany myself on vocals.

That said, I’m wondering about an analog delay as an alternative to reverb. Maybe one day when I’m bored with a few hundred to spare.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Straight into a Princeton Chorus ,solid state. The amp has reverb built in . I play clean at a low to moderate volume and rarely use the chorus effect

RM59, Telecastoff1, howardlo and 4 others like this.
  10. Old Plank

Old Plank Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Once in a great while, yes, and it's a reminder of how good that sounds ... but really never without at least a touch of amp reverb.

11. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

Only with my Roland cube. The onboard effects are good enough for playing around the house, and i don’t have my pedalboard taking up a bunch of floor space in front of my amp.

If you think you sound murky going through a pedalboard, put a clean boost as the last pedal in your chain.

jimmieg likes this.
  12. teleplayer99

teleplayer99 Tele-Meister

All telecasters are great. Not limited, but rather enhanced by their simplicity. So glad I play one.

Happy picking with your favorite choice of gear.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  13. braveheart

braveheart Tele-Afflicted

at least a clean boost (preamp) and room effects (reverb,delay) because for me the amp sun shines with a combi of pushing the front end a little bit (harmonics,"pre-muscles") along with finding the power amp sweet spot ("post-muscles"). Especially with Fender tube amps

14. kbold

kbold Friend of Leo's

Straight in quite a lot actually ... and my amp doesn't have reverb.
    Best way to practice IMO .... no hiding behind effects to cover mistakes. Allows me to concentrate on dynamics, playing position, etc

15. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have an indecent amount of gear Way too much for one guy , but even with all of the sound choices i have to play with , I always start with a guitar into an amp just to hear what the guitar sounds like before I do any thing , my second process is to refer back to that sound if everything gets away from me.

the sound of a clean signal through a pure quiet reverb is magic , distorted guitar is fun , but I would prefer a clean sustain to any generic overdrive .and add reverb for space and distance , like Greg Lake's lead in "From the begining" the most beautiful clean ever recorded.

Maguchi likes this.
  16. saleake

saleake Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I love plugging a Telecaster straight into a Deluxe Reverb.

But, I have a POG on my board for two songs, a delay for three songs, a tube screamer for five songs, a Wah for two songs, and a volume pedal for one song. I also have a compressor that I use for a clean boost.

It’s hard to get away from pedals when you are covering songs.

Mr.Ike, nojazzhere and Captdan61 like this.
  17. That Cal Webway

That Cal Webway Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Since my high school single fuzz tone pedal days were 50 years ago,
    I have since always plugged in just using the amp reverb and was always happy.

The last year I have bought a top-notch reverb pedal, a delay and I have turned into a compressor nut!! (I won't tell you how many I have).

I'm having fun. And I could do without all those pedals, tho I only use one at a time. Thank you Mr. stimulus czechs!!

ymmv.

nojazzhere and Telecaster88 like this.
  18. SixgunElectric

SixgunElectric TDPRI Member

Str8 in?
    Oh, hellz NO!
    Not a chance.
    Who ARE you people?!?

smh

MilwMark and jwmccain like this.
  19. NorthenLights

NorthenLights Tele-Meister

Plugging straight into amp was all I did the first years if playing. And what I do when I do smaller gigs. And when I'm at home and just want to play clean. Are you telling me that this is somehow a "thing"?

Kids these days.

Maguchi and nojazzhere like this.
  20. standup

standup TDPRI Member

With a 5 watt tweed princeton clone I go straight in. No term, no reverb. With other amps I like options.

goonie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.