Anyone else into travel guitars?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Boxla, Jun 10, 2021 at 12:21 PM.

1. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Holic

I seem to like travel guitars. I have three main ones and decide which one to take for each situation I'm getting into.

I have a Traveler EG that mainly stays in the back seat pocket of my passenger seat. It's stays in there for winters and summer, to my surprise with no issues. I pull it out at red lights and while waiting for kids. The length is so perfect that I can play it while sitting in my seat and the end of the neck doesn't even hit my driver's side window. Perfect length and it's full scale.

I also have a Cordoba 6 string guilele. Very cool little instrument that I prefer over a Uke because of the 6 strings. It was my first travel guitar and went with me everywhere until I got the Traveler.

My most recent purchase is a Pig Nose travel guitar with a built in speaker. I love this thing. It's pretty much replaced the two other on trips, when its extra length doesn't pose a problem.

The nice thing about all three of these is that they fit into my backpack. Even the Pig Nose, which is the longest, doesn't stick out of the top all that much. Another nice thing is that both electrics have pickups and can plug into an amp and both sounds pretty good.

Although I think I am now fully covered in my travel guitars, any other cool travel suggestions.

SparkleFart, crazydave911 and bsman like this.
  2. MatsEriksson

MatsEriksson Tele-Afflicted

No, headless basses and guitars are travel friendly enough for me.

Boxla likes this.
  3. matrix

matrix Tele-Meister

I don't know if I am into them, but they used to be really important for me. I have a "Traveller" electric, which I don't love (the stock hardware is some of the cheapest garbage). But the design is brilliance, giving a full scale length on an amazingly compact package.

I used to be away a week a month, and it allowed me to keep practice up.

I also have a Beaver Creek travel acoustic that is short scale length, very compact body guitar, and it sounds better than it has any right to.

I have used and abused it for maybe two decades now? It just keeps chugging right along. I should vacuum the sand out it some day.

Boxla and crazydave911 like this.
  4. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I have had Go Guitars (x2), an Emerald X7, a Journey OF420B, among others, so I guess you could say I'm into them. Currently, I only have the Emerald, because I am no longer a road warrior, but if in retirement I start to travel a lot I might get a Journey OF660 because...carbon fiber!

Boxla and crazydave911 like this.
  5. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

My big fat ham hands need a full size guitar to mangle and wrangle.

Boxla likes this.
  6. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Holic

ha, I hear ya! And this leads me to another question-how do the mandolin players do it? Those necks are tiny and they all can't have super small hands. Yet they can blaze around on those things like Paul Gilbert

7. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Holic

I'm fairly sure my next purchase might be a CF acoustic.

bsman likes this.
  8. SparkleFart

SparkleFart Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I'm just now getting used to my Traveler. It's my first headless instrument & I have to admit it was kinda disorienting at first -- if that makes sense? I've never really liked the headless look, but it was a concession to practicality for travel.

The photo is of my current travel options. I consider them more as a means to keep my digits moving rather than a way of producing pleasing sounds. The Martin canoe paddle was a long ago gift from my first wife. She meant well.

travel.jpg

Boxla and matrix like this.
  9. esseff

esseff Tele-Afflicted

Anyone else into travel guitars?
    Yep, my neighbors ... :cry:

10. Blrfl

Blrfl Tele-Afflicted

I've had this thing for about a month. Haven't taken it on a trip yet, but it's been a blast around the house. Plans are to do a replacement pickguard with P-Rails, a bunch of switching and a G&L-style PTB tone control.

162428-000.jpg 162510-000.jpg

SRHmusic and Axegrinder77 like this.
  11. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

SRHmusic likes this.
  12. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Yep. I'm into playing 'em...and making 'em.
    [​IMG]

Octorfunk and SRHmusic like this.
  13. Sconnie

Sconnie Tele-Afflicted

I use a mandolin, because why compromise? It's travel sized in its full-scale form! And damn they're fun!

14. AngelStrummer

AngelStrummer Friend of Leo's

I only have an old Yamaha APXT that I bought new a good 20+ years ago, part-exchanged for a Martin Backpacker, which I hated, because you can't play it sitting down.

Good product.

15. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

i fixed one of those martins for a friend. how such a short guitar can have so many problems is indeed a pinnacle of engineering.

the washburn rover isn't bad for an acoustic, though it sounds quite banjoey...

upload_2021-6-10_14-27-7.jpeg

I put a little tiny preamp and piezo under the bridge, there is not much handspace
    in that cavity.. but it sounds better plugged in than it does acoustically.

fun to play, but I wouldn't want it as my only guitar,if you know what i mean...

16. magicfingers99

magicfingers99 Friend of Leo's

also one of these

upload_2021-6-10_14-32-8.jpeg

mine was an early model, no whammy bar on mine. I think with some tweaking it might not be bad, but the thing is its unbalanced and tends toward head dipping.
    I made some ears out of corrugated and closed cell foam, it felt much more playable with the ears on it. gave it a les paul shape. I think I need to put some lead weight in the ears to correct the balance.

its a work in project, don't even know if its worth the time...
    but it keeps me out of the bars...
    the nut is used for intonation, don't get me started on that idea....

17. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

One of the basses my bandmate owns ( and uses a lot) is a Traveler
    Bass

It has a single cut LP-style body with a bound spurce top, headless, and has the 4 tuners, 2 on each side on the body ( oval holes in the body). The strings wrap under the body at the bridge and attach to the tuner posts)

Sounds great!

18. Boxla

Boxla Tele-Holic

I had a Martin backpacker and still have a Baby Taylor. I think they both came out around the same time and I got both of them. I know I bought the Taylor in 1997. They were still being made in Cali. The backpacker was one of the worst designed guitars I've ever held. I still have something similar called a rhythm stick. Same body design, same outcome. The only way I can play it is by putting a thin string on it to wear as a strap.

Very cool pics of some of these travelers! I'll take a pic of my trio tonight

19. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

I've got two - the aforementioned Emerald and a Rainsong Shorty - and highly recommend CF. There are really no downsides that I've been able to ascertain, and I have owned and own a few higher end wood guitars (e.g. Martins, Waterloo, etc.)

20. Alaska Mike

Alaska Mike TDPRI Member

I have a Traveler EG-1 Custom. Replaced the pickup with a SD ‘59 and the tuners with the locking version. Love the onboard tuner, less so the onboard amp. Have a Fender Mustang headphone amp, but mostly I play it acoustic. I may end up gutting the control cavity and making it passive if I can keep the tuner. Fit and finish was pretty darn good, and since I got it 15% off it was a good investment for me.
    That said, it stays packed when I am at home. It’s just a way to kill time and keep my fingers moving.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.