1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone Else Having A Hard Time NOT PULLING the Trigger??

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Phrygian77, Oct 22, 2020.

1. gitold

gitold Poster Extraordinaire

I want one of those new Jazzmaster pro II guitars but I’ll wait for a used one in a year or so. Sounds like it has some usable updates.

2. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

I have no intention of buying another guitar. But I'm always looking to trade up with one of my 2 team roster.

3. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

What helped me in not buying the 70th Broadcaster is the narrow nut: I may be wrong but I seem to recall that these guitars have a rather narrow nut, compared to my AV 52 telecaster. And I think there won't be a dramatic difference between these two guitars, quality wise, so why should have I spent my hard earned money on this?

That really helped me.

So I took my money and used it to get some ABU Cardinal reels in their original boxes for my collection. I really couldn't help myself on this :confused:o_O

oldfish likes this.
  4. Alcohen

Alcohen Tele-Meister

Am I missing something? This looks like a marketing exercise. You could buy the same guitar that doesn't say "blah blah anniversary" and "Broadcaster" for half the price. For two grand +/- you could buy an exceptional instrument that's way better than this.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  5. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

If you want it, buy it. I wanted one so I bought it. Simple as that. It’s a great guitar. $2k is a lot. So is $700, so is $500. Comparisons are odious. Just do it.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Enter the TDPRI giveaway and wait.

Why pay for it when you can have it for free?

7. dickey

dickey Friend of Leo's

"It's a real Broadcaster!"
    No; it ain't. It's a reissue.
    And I have never EVER seen a reissue of anything; guitar OR amp, that was better sounding or playing than an original.

Only thing reissues have over originals is fit & finish, & construction, so you may get better tuning stability from say a re-issue SG than an original SG/Les Paul,or have an easier time setting up your reissue Jazzmaster's bridge. But, you ain't gonna get the dynamics & touch sensitivity of the original. Never.

mbc220 likes this.
  8. Weazel

Weazel Tele-Holic

As for buying Fender, I just ordered a strap for my mint green railcaster. Probably the first Fender product I have bought since 1982.
    Strapmint.jpg

9. offsideref

offsideref Tele-Meister

In 1951 the average ANNUAL wage in the UK was £100. In the US it looks like people were a bit better off, the average annual salary was $2,799. Either way, a good guitar has always been a luxury purchase for most folk, that you probably would have bought on the never-never and paid for over a couple of years. Unless you were a star, and either your manager bought it for you or the guitar company gave you one for nothing!

mbc220 likes this.
  10. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

oh, I’m never judgmental about gear acquisitions. People like what they like and want what they want. As you said, if it’s financially viable there’s no harm.
    I don’t think willpower is my strong suit.:D I’m just at a stage where I measure my purchases from a different perspective. I have the history (misfortune) to have given into many impulses to acquire guitars amps. I just had to have a Ric 12 string. I just had to have Fiesta Red AV 64. I just had to have an R8 Les Paul with a beautiful yet subtle flame. The list is much longer than that. I had the cash and the “want”. As I said, I can’t hypocritically preach discretion or restraint. I’m just offering my input to the OP’s request to offer opposing reasons.
    All those guitars I “had to have” are now gone plus a half dozen more just like them.

mbc220 likes this.
  11. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

Yes, this! Dont need one really but would love to have it. :cool::cool: Screenshot_20201023-122934_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Crobbins likes this.
  12. Turtleneck

Turtleneck Tele-Meister

I have a '12 AV - similar, GREAT guitar.

Go for it, you have my permission. $2K isn't what it used to be.

Life is short. Get it.

Telekarster and Double Stop like this.
  13. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Thanks for talk and advice guys. I think I'm just letting the frustration with my guitars get to me. My Esquire is to heavy for me to play anymore. I put together a Tele last year, but I haven't been happy with it.

telemnemonics likes this.
  14. tubelectron

tubelectron Tele-Afflicted

I will help you : buy it ! :)

No, it's not pertinent suggestion... :(;)

-tbln.

Phrygian77 likes this.
  15. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

Three saddle bridge, not even compensated.

7.25” radius.

21 frets.

Noisy pickups.

Vintage tuners.

That’s five distinct features. Features that make that guitar not tempting to me in the least.

Is it worth the $2k price tag? To paraphrase Sam Jackson- “Sewer rat might taste like pumpkin pie, but I’ll never know, cause I’ll never eat the filthy ____________”.

This one is not even on my radar.

There. Does that help?

StrangerNY likes this.
  16. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I'm kinda gravitating away from lusting after a 'real' Fender.

I've got a Logan Tele coming in today. When it arrives, I'll have 10 Telecasters, only one of which is a Fender.

I can see the attraction (I nearly went for a Vintera before I decided on the Logan), but I guess I'm just looking in different directions nowadays.

- D

17. Phrygian77

Minor issue. Needs Rutters steel saddles. It's a Broacaster. Why does it have brass saddles?

I'm okay with all of it, except maybe the vintage radius. Who really needs a 22nd fret. It's an issue that pisses me off about my current Tele. The wood mount neck pickup problem. All of my guitars have had Kluson type tuners and vintage style pickups.

18. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I like several but not all of those features.
    Seems like those are super common features on guitars sold by FMIC though?
    And what I find is that I need to play the sample that came off the assembly line, because 99% of productions seems to fall short of what I now know a great guitar can be.

Part of that "what a great guitar can be" feature set is not found in the total vintage specs models FMIC seems to offer an endless array of.
    MIC CV Squiers, many MIM models, a good number of USA models, all come with basic vintage specs.
    If I want 21 small frets and an ash tray bridge I can choose form rows and rows that are pretty much old timey Fenders.

I know many buyers of vintage spec Fenders are dissatisfied with Fender not making enough exact duplicates of old time guitars, but what I see is a lot of complaining that there's poly under the nitro or that the truss rod is accessible from the headstock.

As a player playing music, most buyer complaints really don't effect playing music.
    Nitro and heel adjust doesn't make the sound better, or make the guitar play better.

I might consider a $2000 Fender if it had a list of specs no other Fender has.
    Something like truly huge tall extra jumbo frets, a truly big U or D shaped neck with full shoulders, a single SC bridge pickup that just right between fat & clear AKA not angled, a single vol knob, light weight yet has good balance, has split shaft tuners so the finger prickers don't stick out and I don't had a tight thumb screw that drops the string if it gets bumped loose, and has no goofy butterscotch yellow finish, plus has not ready to rub off finish or pre rubbed off finish. Hell I'd like 24 frets, as long as I'm paying big money and don't need a neck pickup. I use all the frets and now and then actually have more ascending line in my head than frets to play it on. Not often but why choose limits from 1948?

Fender doesn't make my Fender.
    If they did, would it be worth $2000?
    No but it might be worth paying that for the convenience, if it measured up to $2000 worth of perfection.

This "new model" seems a lot like a lotta old models?
    Any specific reasons to pay that much for a guitar you could get at a range of lower prices?
    And could even play 100 samples of to pick the "good one"?

mbc220 and Phrygian77 like this.
  19. nomadh

nomadh Tele-Afflicted

Someones gotta buy the new ones so we can buy them later at a discount. Go for it :)

20. Phrygian77

Single volume knob? I need a tone knob, at least with the Esquire. Been thinking a lot about the Broadcaster blend. But what I probably really want is a fat PAF type neck to blend with an A3 bridge.

telemnemonics likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.