1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone Else Having A Hard Time NOT PULLING the Trigger??

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Phrygian77, Oct 22, 2020.

1. MAXXFIELD

MAXXFIELD Tele-Meister

I hear you. But it might also be great rationale!! Its kind of a fake broadcaster is the only thing I can think of that might deter me. I had the Joe Strummer Relic for a while and I just couldn't wrap my head around having a punk guitar thats fake fashion punk. The broadcaster is still a fake broadcaster. Its a 2020 telecaster with a decal. But I stlll want one too!

Phrygian77 likes this.
  2. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

Sounds like you’ve made up your mind and maybe looking for validation. It’s easy to rationalize such decisions.
    Hey, I’ve spent many thousands of dollars on my guitar acquisitions via juicy rationalizations, some of them quite frivolous...

Nahtabot and Phrygian77 like this.
  3. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

Put a fresh set of strings on your current main guitar. Spend a day with it.

I find this usually cures me of wanting another guitar.

4. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

In 1951 the Telecaster was listed as $189.
    Using an inflation calculator that would be $1892.04 in 2020 dollars.

So the Telecaster is the exact same price today as it was when Leo made them. Except back then they didn't have any cheaper Mexican lines or Indonesian Squiers. Imagine if the only Telecaster you could buy today was the American Original.

Stiles, spupilup, Telekarster and 3 others like this.
  5. arlum

arlum Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

First consider the cost of health care, education, child rearing, home ownership and maintenance, food on the table, utilities and taxes, existing credit to be paid back, the cost of keeping your mate happy, pet care, hobbies and interests, automobile ownership, insurance costs, .. , ..... , ........ then buy the guitar.

Nahtabot likes this.
  6. Minivan Megafun

Absolutely do it. The American Original line are the best guitars I've laid my hands on. I picked up an AO60's Tele about two month ago. It's pretty much ruined other guitars for me now. I ended up selling off some of my existing guitars and went and got an AO60's Strat too. OMG it's as good or even dare I say better than the Tele. Just absolutely fantastic guitars.

And funny story, the guy who sold me his AO60's Tele went and used the cash to buy himself a new AO Broadcaster.

Nahtabot likes this.
  7. cravenmonket

cravenmonket Tele-Holic

Totally.

Generally just playing one of my guitars for an hour or two completely erases any thought of accumulating new guitars from my mind.

offsideref likes this.
  8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I know that is the justification, today's dollar value/buying power vs. 1950
    * so I'd probably have thought $189 would have been way too much for a guitar in 1950.

But in today's real life, economic situation, I ( just me) think $2000 is $1500 too much for any guitar I would buy. Even if you have it- things happen, $$ crises ( at least they have to me)

offsideref likes this.
  9. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I bought one back in Feb. Happy as can be.:D

[​IMG]

Nahtabot and Flip G like this.
  10. Chief101

Chief101 Tele-Meister

I was unable to exercise the same willpower you did.

My advice, folks should buy what they want as long as it doesn’t put them in financial hardship or cause a divorce. No judging here.

13C7FFFB-84B1-49F7-89C0-73CEADE703F1.jpeg

baiff, KATT, heffus and 6 others like this.
  11. Minivan Megafun

Well to be fair, in 1951 literally nobody had a dozen or more guitars on their wall. Also rock n' roll hadn't been invented yet. Many households didn't have a TV. So a Fender guitar was a pretty high end purchase.

12. Bedroom Thrasher

Bedroom Thrasher TDPRI Member

Mine arrived recently after a 7 month wait. I totally don't regret it, best guitar I've ever owned. A definite step up from my Baja.

Crobbins and Nahtabot like this.
  13. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

The thing that prevents me from making that type of investment is the fact I’m rarely completely satisfied with a bone-stock guitar, I don’t want to ruin the originality of an expensive/investment-type instrument (i.e., limited edition or vintage) by modding it.

(I jokingly say poverty, but if I really want something I’ll find—or save up—the money)...

If I spend $2000 on this “limited edition” guitar (or even more on a vintage guitar) and it doesn’t do—or look or sound—exactly as I want it to, it will start to irritate me...and I can’t “fix” it, because modding it will destroy the value.

That’s part of the attraction of Mexican Fenders—they look good, they’re well-made and they sound good...plus, I can mod the crap out of it and I won’t lose much, if any, value.

68Telebass, StrangerNY and Phrygian77 like this.
  14. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Had a hard time not doing it on the 70th Esquire. Had some great features.

In the end, the specs turned me off, though. If it had been vintage style 6230 frets and a Flash Coat finish, I would already have one, and would be planning on a second one in a different color (burst and Surf Green, with a pickguard swap between the two of them).

Just couldn't see spending almost $2,000 for a guitar that was nitro over poly and had frets I don't really like. If it had been more in line with the old American Vintage Series, instead of a half-assed semi-reissue like it is, it would have been a dream come true.

15. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I’m single, no kids, at the moment no girlfriend. But right now no job (by choice). Paperwork is done to go back to work, just haven’t settled on a start date. So, I’m trying to be on a spending freeze. But the marked down AmPro Olympic White Strat at GC is killing me right now. May go do the layaway thing tomorrow. I usually buy outright, but I know I’ll be a week and a half from a paycheck when I start back to work. I’ve got the money, just trying to hold back a little.

16. Recce

Recce Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

09A84B36-2451-4545-AA8A-6F2E20E1FE68.jpeg 7513E291-9A12-41DC-804A-BF21B846D792.jpeg
    I found a great deal on this original Fender and pulled the trigger.

Crobbins and swervinbob like this.
  17. Electric Warrior

Electric Warrior Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

Love mine. Feels good, plays easy, wide range of sound. Had it since February and play it every day. To me, it's been worth every penny.

Bedroom Thrasher likes this.
  18. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

It looks like a great guitar to me :).

Similar to the Teles I build myself, except my "U" necks have a compound radius - about 7-3/4" to 11-1/2" radius.

One thing my Teles don't have is the Fender name on the head stock, and that is what makes the big difference price-wise.

You know you want it; if you can cover the price, buy it! :)

19. LPTyler

LPTyler Tele-Meister

I’m wanting a Rickenbacker, but I really want a Tone King Imperial, but I really need a kitchen remodel so no new guitars for me for a while!

That fender is nice thought. I say buy it if you want it and can afford it. I really don’t get along with U shaped necks. I like a chunky C but the U neck is not for me.

20. GreatDaneRock

GreatDaneRock Tele-Holic

This x a million

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.