1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone else have sudden realizations or epiphanies while building guitars or pedals?

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Ragged Tweed, Sep 22, 2020.

1. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

fair enough I can barely detect ash and alder

2. Maguchi

Maguchi Tele-Meister

Does that neck have fanned frets, or is it just the angle of the photo? :D

3. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 TDPRI Member

This thread has been nothing short of remarkable... for two reasons:
    1. The wisdom learned is timeless.
    2. I’m about to embark on my first major guitar revamp (bought a Squier Affinity and am re-painting & soldering new pickups for the first time).

This thread has inspired me & given me confidence. I often feel I’m stuck in a bit of a rat race & to read about folks who make guitars because they

Ragged Tweed likes this.
  4. Roscoe295

Roscoe295 TDPRI Member

(Whoops)
    Like to work with their hands.
    And folks who play music to create something new... it’s inspiring.
    (Sorry for the jacked-up post)

Ragged Tweed likes this.
  5. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

The hard-earned insight that has served me best when scratch building is

DON’T CUT ANY PIECE OF WOOD UNTIL YOU HAVE TO.

The most troublesome blunders I have made came from me getting ahead of myself. For example, it’s a lot easier to route a truss rod slot in a rectangular piece of stock than it is once you’ve cut the outline of the neck blank.

If you’ve built several guitars, and you have a proven system/procedure, you are probably close to following this already, but with my last two guitars I was doing several things for the first time (set necks, arch tops, etc.), and it really helped me to stop and ask myself before I got on the bandsaw: “is there ANYTHING else I can do before I make this irrevocable cut?”

Ragged Tweed and Jim_in_PA like this.
  6. dasherf17

dasherf17 TDPRI Member

25 mi SE of Rogers (South Minneapolis)...
    Oh, you mean I'm not the only one who feels paralysis from fear of "failing" (quotes for fact of "not really gonna happen "...it just will look "different"...)?
    My first build, an LP kit, was horrendous in that manner...wanted a nice cherry sunburst, ended up with a seemingly patchwork burst. NOT what I was going for! The wiring? Not much better...I had the bridge pickup working, but quiet, the neck pickup didn't work at all, and I have a hellacious buzz that quiets when I touch metal...back burner, on to the next till winter...right now I have 5 guitars going since last winter...good times.
    Oh, by the way, I warmed up to the LP sunburst...
    You're not alone in the "want to do it right " bunch.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Ragged Tweed likes this.
  7. dasherf17

dasherf17 TDPRI Member

Larry,...if there's a University near you, see if they have a used outlet hooked up with it. I work for the U of Ms Reuse Program, a combo waste mgmt/resale warehouse. The lab gets rid of a whole lotta stuff, including a magnifying thing that straps on to the head. For me, with macular degeneration, it does the trick. Hands free. (68, here...)

Digital Larry and Ragged Tweed like this.
  8. dasherf17

dasherf17 TDPRI Member

My sudden reality/epiphany while doing my pandemic projects (5 guitars) is that NONE of them are going to look like the stock versions of their retail counterparts...good thing/bad thing? Rh...for me, it keeps me out of my wife's way (she works from home) while I wait for MY job to call me back (on furlough because of COVID19).
    Hey, I built model cars...these are 1:1 scale model guitars...that actually work as the big guys'.
    (A couple of them are "real" guitars...I bought one unloaded, body and neck, putting my own leftover parts in, from days of old, and the other was one I had for years but never liked the natural finish, so I gave it a tobacco sunburst...)

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Ragged Tweed likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.