Anyone else have sell-o-phobia?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by NewKid, Oct 19, 2019.

1. DonM

DonM Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I sold one of my Danelectro’s about eight years ago and still regret it.

dented likes this.
  2. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

I don’t have a strong emotional attachment to any of my electric guitars. They are all mid to low level players that are easily replaced.

I just hate the current process of selling. Perhaps consignment would be the most palatable path for me. It’s just that no local guitar store has the reach of Reverb.com.

If someone had a store where I could bring my gear and they went through the hassle of researching pricing, posting pictures and sell copy, negotiating the deal, and shipping it out, I would be interested.

Wasn’t that Steve Carrell’s girl friend’s job in 40-Year Old Virgin?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  3. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

Just yesterday sold my last guitar that was 'on surplus' (not getting played very often).
    I'm now down to, my 'once intended target', of 3 electrics and 1 acoustic.

Already looking on the internet because I feel I'm missing something! o_O:rolleyes:

dented likes this.
  4. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

In college I took a course titled Decision Analysis. I remember just one concept, the Sunk Cost Fallacy. That and Marie Kondo's Tidying book have made me comfortable with selling gear I don't use at a loss, because it's more of a loss when I don't sell and crowds out other things I enjoy.

5. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

This year I swapped my George Harrison Tribute tele and some cash for an ES 335. I felt seller remorse immediately and that got worse when I found out I just didn't bond with the Gibson. I tried to sell it and found out I did put a little too much cash into the deal. Bummer! Eventually I found someone who was willing to pay what I asked but in retrospect I should have just kept the GH – I miss it.

NewKid and dented like this.
  6. mad dog

mad dog Friend of Leo's

I have no fear of the selling process, and no regrets once I decide to sell. Even so, it's no fun at all. Takes much patience, waiting for real buyers. Lots of folks out there playing games with no real intent to buy stuff.

boris bubbanov and NewKid like this.
  7. 985plowboy

985plowboy Tele-Afflicted

I've bought and sold dozens of guitars over the years.
    I currently have 2 electrics and three acoustics and that feels right for the moment.
    I am now of the mindset that if I really want something, one or more of what I have must go to fund the purchase.

Mike Eskimo likes this.
  8. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Oh stop it! Who the heck thinks like that? .....:confused::p:p:p

9. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

I’m at that point as well. I have 5 because I think it’s good to have a Jazzmaster and a Strat but really I could live with just the three Teles.

But I wouldn’t have learned that if I didn’t have the Jazzmaster and Strat.

10. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

Actually, I think this Sunk Cost Fallacy is pretty common.

For example, say you’re reading a book and after a hundred pages you realize you hate it. Some people would continue reading the remaining 400 pages because they paid for the book - even if they know their time will be wasted.

Or maybe you decide to continue in career that no longer satisfies you because you put all that time in.

I don’t feel that way about my current guitars but I bought an expensive and excellent jazz amp that I’m just not going to use so I have to get rid of it now somehow.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  11. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic

Last time I sold 3 guitars I ended up acquiring 5 or 6 more ( :oops: ), but I know I have to change my ways. I have parts for 2 more partscaster Teles that I'm not going to complete and sell the parts. I like all the other ones I currently have and these wouldn't compete. There are 2 other guitars I'm considering parting with, but yeah, I have that phobia for sure and it'll be hard for me to actually move on that consideration.

12. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Of all the things people spend their money on, coffee, cars, shoes, houses ... used guitars tend to keep some value. Maybe not what you hoped but certainly not the vale drop of a used $20k car that you must keep new tires on and battery and run so the engine doesn't seize and get $300 offers for after a few years. Put $5 of new strings in an old Tele and it's still kept its value.

So if a guitar doesn't sell today it's ok. Maybe next week, month, year.

Old duck and ROADMAN like this.
  13. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I might have too many guitars (just kidding) but none of them are worth a damn so I don't worry about it! :lol:

I'd be lucky to sell my PRS SE for half what I paid for it new...so why bother? Except it's number 1, so not selling anyway, but same with my others, resale value says I might as well just keep 'em.

And what would I do with the money? Probably just buy just a different guitar.

:lol::lol::lol:

NewKid and felis like this.
  14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Look at this:

If you buy carefully, when the economic stars align, your guitars are really no different than money in a long term CD.

I think, if you have accessible money you will spend it. But, guitars you just hate to sell, are accumulations of wealth in a way that can't be pissed away. And unless you get burglarized or your place with the guitars burns down, that wealth will still be there. Should you need it later in life.

Think of your inability to sell guitars as a favorable trait, not a flaw. When we sell, what happens to the money? Did we buy Microsoft stock at the right time? No, we did not. We bought another guitar, that's probably no better and no worse than the one we unloaded. Or you bought dinner for some woman you are so glad you didn't pursue any further. Or you bought a ticket to see the Yankees and they lost.

NewKid, ROADMAN and Shuster like this.
  15. boris bubbanov

Selling is at best, a neutral thing. But I'm a natural at buying certain things. With buying so easy (for me) it seems like selling should be just as easy. And it isn't - at least for me. And that puts me off.

+

Btw I'm the same way with guitar. Left hand easy, right hand bleah. Why must the right hand be different?

mad dog likes this.
  16. boris bubbanov

Come on. Neil Young's "Waging Heavy Peace" is not that bad.

:^)

I took a vacation from it at about halfway. Too many more important books to read, at this time in our existence.

NewKid likes this.
  17. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

If i buy something, I invest my time and energy and money ... Nobody likes to sell or lose anything they have aquired ... But shirt happens ... Or losing one's shirt ... Life goes on ... Deal with it ... Sure i wish I had some things back ... I'd rather focus on the future ... And in the end, getting maybe a much better shirt ...

18. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

I sell in waves... I'm getting ready to unload a bunch of stuff... I do it that way so I am up for shipping (the part I hate most) and get in a rhythm... and some stuff will go for way more than I'd expect and some for way less... I dont like the emotional highs and lows... so, all at once, I feel good about it all and I'm done with it... it is the season to sell for me!

Digital Larry likes this.
  19. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

I have never sold a musical instrument. Buyer only, and I’m very judicious about what I buy, because I know it will be a keeper. So yeah, I have a really bad case of sell-o-phobia.

NewKid likes this.
  20. Digital Larry

Digital Larry Tele-Afflicted

Having a post office nearby (5 minute drive) made it easier for me to unload about 18 unused pieces of gear this year using Reverb. If I'd had to spend an hour to drive downtown to UPS or FedEx and back for each one it might not have happened.

Not expecting to get back what I paid made it easier.

Looking at all the crap, I mean valuable stuff I STILL HAVE made it easier.

Taking pictures of stuff which might have had sentimental value made it easier.

Realizing that owning more guitars did not make me a better player, and in fact I still mostly played the same 2 or 3 even though I had 10 made it easier.

Selling guitars and amps online is a hassle though, mostly because of shipping concerns. It was easier to go to Starving Musician. They state straight up "we'll give you half of what you'd expect to get selling it yourself", so all you have to do is get on eBay and search for recent completed sales of the same thing to set your expectations properly. That way you aren't surprised and can decide whether to even bother.

Right now I have a couple relatively unused guitars hanging there mocking me, challenging me to sell them. Don't tempt me! Selling all that other crap made it easier.

NewKid and jimash like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.