Anyone else have sell-o-phobia?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by NewKid, Oct 19, 2019.

1. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Holic

After selling off all my ukuleles (18) except for one in 2015 I have an aversion to selling instruments. I just hate the whole process now so I try to choose carefully.

I went from one electric to five this year. (All great deals between $300 - $900). When I think about selling one to get another I feel sick.

Please share how you overcame the fear of selling if you ever had it.

2. 1293

1293 Poster Extraordinaire

I try not to buy things I won't want to keep. I have a 60 year old car.

3. 24 track

24 track Doctor of Teleocity

A good friend a fine drummer is building a digital studio, after talking at length yesterday we discovered we have WAY too much stuff and collectively an insane amount of gear we are not using so we decided that early next year we are going to advertize a massive musical equipment yard sale , we discovered we have at least 10 totes each of unused cabling and snaking mixers , mic stands guitar stands cabs , I have 31 18 inch drivers for PA's I have a loaded pair of JBL 4560 cabs with Altec 15's, and matching horns , at least 8 horn throats, speaker recone kits, assorted midi gear, racks , I have 2 mic boom/stands for a professional studio application, one goes to 8 feet high the other extends to 15 feet high, lighting stand with cross members , and I am not even scratching the surface here.

so we should have a fun weekend

but this is only because I have a gluttony of equipment , I have given away a ton already, nothing like having too much stuff to break your hording prowess.

JayFreddy, telemnemonics and Shuster like this.
  4. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Holic

You have me beat by one. In 50 plus years I have owned a total of 17 instruments all inclusive. I avoid selling trauma by not buying.

NewKid likes this.
  5. kbold

kbold Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Sell-o-phobia is one of the main symptoms of GAS.
    The remorse you feel after selling something can lead to severe hoarding.
    When you only have a narrow path to traverse between amps and guitars, it's time to think of thinning the herd.
    If you're buying a duplicate of something you haven't played for a month, you have a problem.

Shuster, Denton, NewKid and 1 other person like this.
  6. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Selling is usually just as big of a buzz as buying.
    I'm going that way myself.

7. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have two strats and one danelectro that I have to keep. all other guitars can go. but the object is get to a certain place and stop. I really want a custom shop strat or tele.

JL_LI likes this.
  8. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I buy gear that I think I'll keep for life, so when the time comes to sell something, it is gut wrenching and usually take a year or so of contemplation to do it. I hate the whole process, but I have found a used gear shop in Portland, OR. that does a fair job with consignment.

NewKid likes this.
  9. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

It's time to hang it up. What an injury didn't take has fallen victim to arthritis. I'll give away my partscasters and I've designated my 175 to my daughter...

Which leaves a 64 Strat and a pair of '67 blackfaces. That I keep threatening to sell and....

Went as far as to make some quick dirty photos of the Strat to get an idea of realistic value from a couple of SoCal fellows who've been in the world forever.

Got some nibbling from a music store over my Deluxe Reverb....

And...everything is still in my studio/music room/refuge. When push comes to shove I think I'd rather have a trusted friend liquidate for spouse after I'm busy elsewhere. Because I clearly lack the necessary calluses to part with old friends who have served me well for so long.

10. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I hate selling anything, simply because I always get beat.
    Whatever I am trying to sell is always , noyt the right one, not good shape, wrong color, wrong year. And at least half the time this is BS.
    Case in point:
    I inherited my late brother's art collection, such as it is.
    A concrete example. I have one of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E706CM4/?tag=tdpri-20
    It is exactly the same as the one on that page. Made the same night, signed and numbered in the same sequence. Might be in slightly better shape , brown edge wise. I have COA and the original receipt from the gallery.
    The very guy who runs the place selling that for $2700, offered me roughly $200 ( I say roughly because I offered him a number of pieces).
    I have been advised to try to get $350 for some of these things, that are priced in 2-4k range online.

11. Old duck

Old duck Tele-Meister

Don't form an attachment to things. They're just guitars or amps or whatever. They can be replaced. I've never bought one with the idea of making money on it. I have "lost" money on some and donated some to young aspiring players. I've bought, sold, or traded over 50 guitars and amps in the last 3 years. Right now I have about 25. The only one's I have any attachment to are my late dad's 78 Guild D-55 and a 62 reissue strat that I traded a car for in 1988, but it wouldn't break my heart if they went away. None of them are unique and it's fun to play them for a while and then move on. The things that are important are the irreplaceables like family and loved ones and pets.

12. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I used to hate selling until the past year, once you start letting go of stuff that you aren't using anyway it gets much easier. Most of my pedals have gone along with 9 hard to find guitars.

It's easier to sell gear when bills need paying and you are strapped for cash.

Telecastoff1, Shuster and NewKid like this.
  13. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire

Yup, I am about to retire. About 6 years ago I downsized all of my theater amps to several in the 5 to 50 watt range. The biggest cab I have is 2x12 and all of the mikes, stands, cables and accessories are gone. I loved all of that stuff and still think about my big Fender cabs and JBLs and miss them. They were just covered in the garage never to be played through by me anymore. None of the kids were going in that direction. But I still have 40 plus guitars. I definitely have some collectors pieces and a new custom. I wanted to go on a year of travel before I sat down. What to do with them through that? Plus I am talking about moving cross country to retire not just not down the street where I know everyone.

NewKid and rolandson like this.
  14. colnago

colnago Tele-Meister

My problem is that I never sell anything. I keep it all.

15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Because I was buying and selling for awhile ,soooooo many guitars and amps have gone through my hands.

A huge, wide range of vintage stuff.

But, the list of things I really regret not hanging onto is very short.

Maybe 10-15 instruments total. Which is a miniscule fraction of instruments and amps I’ve owned.

16. Axegrinder77

Axegrinder77 Tele-Meister

I don't like hassle, so I end up paying a premium in any transaction. Therefore, I usually research and "invest" in good stuff. If I'm not using it, I'll only sell it if it's become redundant from something better, or I just know I'll never use it.

It's funny with gear... Take pedals for example, one day it doesn't fit your rig, the next day it's the perfect piece!

So I'll only take a bath on gear if I'm confident I won't regret it a couple months or years later.

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Silver Supporter

I had to liquidate most of my gear when I moved to Japan in the early '90s, and that included two Gibbies: an ebony LP and a '50s ES125, both at basically wholesale. THAT was traumatic, and put me off of selling anything for over a decade.

Then I started building guitars, and realized I could MAKE pretty much anything I wanted, if I really wanted it. After making about 7 of 'em, I had a glut, and it was pretty easy to sell the MIJ tele and LP that weren't getting played. I don't miss 'em. I only have a few guitars left that I didn't build myself, and of those, there is one that will never leave because of sentimental reasons. I feel pretty okay with the idea of selling any of the other ones if they ever annoy me enough, and especially now that I can afford to wait for the price I want.

blueruins likes this.
  18. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Meister

Shiz. I forgot about all that. Mine aren't. Gone. They're still here too. Wasn't ever much for pedals, but I've a couple of studio mics that I'm fond of and a bunch of stuff used on.... ummm...road trips...

Now I feel guilty about leaving a ton of extraneous junk for spouse to sort out.

I'll let my son have it. He, being in technical theater (stage management), laughs at my collection of "antiquity" as he calls it. His world is all about newest - smallest - more power; something like an old Neumann and such is useless to him...

except it helped buy the house he grew up in.

Hah!

19. reckless toboggan

reckless toboggan Tele-Meister

This.

20. zammie

zammie TDPRI Member

It is a subjective thing, but 17 is no small number!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.