1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone Else have an MIM 50's Classic Series Strat?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Rigel7, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Rigel7

Rigel7 Tele-Meister

Hi guys/gals/ppl. I've owned a 50's Classic Series since 2007 or something. I've never been 100% happy with its sound. Dug it out lately because I'm on a 2 & 4 kick and experience is finally telling me there's just something wrong with this guitar. A set up and adjustment will give me a little bit of that Knopfler business, but not much. Takes a Boss compressor to really make it happen.

Meanwhile, I played 4 Strats yesterday (60s Vintera, American Professional, Clapton, and Custom Shop '59 NOS) and all but the Clapton Strat had what I was looking for, and the Vintera had it in spades. Spades of spades. (If that guitar is anything to go by the Vintera series is awesome). Zero compression in this case, just the guitar straight into the store's 68 Deluxe.

Anyway, just looking to speak with some other Classic Series owners and try to figure out if I've just got bad pups or electrics, poor expectations, or if any of you upgraded to a different set of pups and what they might be.

2. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Meister

I own an early 2010's Classic 50s Strat. I can't say I experienced too much wrong with the 2 and 4 positions. They sound pretty quacky. I've had no problems getting Knopfler or early Buddy Guy tones. However, I will say that it does not have the best 2 and 4 sounds I've ever heard in a Strat. Also, I think the pickups are pretty low output -- I A/B'd them with the 57/62 pickups of an AVRI '57 reissue and the 57/62 pickups had higher output. My main issue with that guitar has had less to do with the tone and more the feel of the neck.

3. Rigel7

Rigel7 Tele-Meister

Hm. I've been tempted by the 57/62s, I didn't know that's where they came from.

4. Rigel7

Rigel7 Tele-Meister

Opened it up tonight. I'm planning to reflatten the pickguard. I notice it has CTS pots, which is surprising to me. Also has a red film cap. Anyone think it's worth my bother swapping it for an Orange Drop?

5. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

I've got my eye on one, but don't own one.
    How do you like the rest? How's the neck? If everything else is good, maybe a pickup swap would sort it out?

Which vintera did you compare it to? What else did you like about the vintera, other than the sound?

6. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

I have a Vintera 50s Modified in Daphne Blue. It has all the things I like in a 'vintage' Strat-looks, general vibe, but with my preferred two-point trem, locking tuners and flatter fretboard radius. The S-1 switching options don't do much for me; the bridge/neck sounds like an anaemic Tele and all three together sounds like a muted version of neck/middle. Nice guitar overall, but watch out for fret sprout which seems a common complaint with recent MIM Fenders.
    I owned a couple of Classic 50s in Fiesta Red; my favourite Strat colour-and with gold hardware it looks fantastic.

7. sjtalon

sjtalon Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The vintage- low output pickups (like you have there) do sound killer down (height) way low!

Nothing to lose, give this a whirl:

Get them adjusted down almost level with the pickguard, then raise the treble side up about 1/16"-1/8" higher.

As far as the 57/62's, I call the "Vintage Style Single-Coil Strat® Pickups" in the CS 50's-60's MIM 57/62's.

I don't really believe a person in a true A/B BLIND test could tell much of a diff at all for the most part.

>I notice it has CTS pots, which is surprising to me.<

Ya folks buy MIM Fenders and then right away think the electronics are inferior and want to pull out the credit card and buy new switched and pots.................only to then open them up to find they have exactly what a USA Fender has :eek:....ops.

Cap is fine, caps don't make tone, no matter how much coin you spend. And don't mean jack when the pot is at 10. They ONLY determine, by their value (µF), how the tone pot is going to work for you removing treble as you turn it down. (that statement will open a can of worms :lol:)

Search caps here...................you could spend days reading about it, and not playing the guitar instead..................and in the end, know absolutely nothing more than when you started.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 11:31 AM
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.