Anyone else had fit problems with the Callaham Bigsby roller?

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by PeterUK, Sep 25, 2018.

1. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I do like the Callaham Bigsby upgrade parts and I’ve used them three times but the front roller with the sting grooves has proven problematic on each ‘upgrade’.

Each one I’ve fitted has been too tight to the point that roller is just jammed between the edges of the Bigsby horseshoe. I’ve had to gently grind the wall of the horseshoe back on both sides to allow the roller to spin freely.

Has anyone else had this problem? Or am I just unlucky? I appreciate the casting process of the Bigsby parts is quite crude but the stock roller bar has spun freely in each case.

The Callaham replacements aren’t cheap so I’d expect a better fit. The stroing bars which remove the need for those dreadful pins are a ‘must have’ for me, but this will be the last front roller I’ll buy as they seem to come with the hassle of poor fitting.

I’d email Callaham and make them aware but they are not very receptive to feedback and can be quite abusive.

The picture shows the grinding back of the inner wall.

:) Peter

Attached Files:

2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

A company that isn't receptive to a questionable function of its product & potentially abusive?

How do I throw money their way?

PeterUK likes this.
  3. PeterUK

Ha ha! You have a point. I buy from their UK reller who is very pleasant but surely I can’t be unlucky three times.

It’s not hard to modify the Bigsby part but the ‘boutique’ part(s) should fit?

eallen likes this.
  4. milocj

milocj Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I've used one and it fit fine on an older B5 that I have.

PeterUK likes this.
  5. Mase

Mase Tele-Meister

Hi Peter, i have had the same issue and had to do the same thing to rectify.
    I am one of those crazy fools that had the temerity to contact callaham, and he essentially said " its the Bigsbys fault,and your problem".
    I get the same attitude from a dealer I have bought necks from, but he is the only game in town for those necks, so I suck it up.
    Cheers

PeterUK likes this.
  6. PeterUK

Ah, it’s not just me that has had the same issues and the same bad service. Callaham seem to start from the premise that everyone, especially amateur builders are rude, vile idiots, and they [Callaham] are beyond reproach and have no obligation to make the paying customer’s life a pleasant one.

They do make some really cool stuff though and the mod to make their parts fit is an inconvenience versus a major piece of work.

I’m going to look into having these made locally if I need more Bigsby upgrade parts.

7. Solaris moon

Solaris moon Tele-Meister

Hmmm.....It sounds like the "I'm a huge hit and have a lot of customers now so I'm invincible" attitude that a lot of companies get once they take off and have a lot of sales. Well my friends BAD word of mouth travels FAST as opposed to good word of mouth. It wouldn't take a lot to bring them back down to earth with the loss of sales because of their nasty attitude! Maybe I should go ahead and start my own machine shop making guitar parts as I've wanted to for so long? Surely someone who DOES give a damn for their customers and have better pricing and variety couldn't be a bad thing....

PeterUK likes this.
  8. guitfiddles

guitfiddles TDPRI Member

I just ordered their front roller bar, string shaft, and a bridge with the back notched for the Bigsby. When it gets here I hope it all fits. If not, I’ll send in my Bigsby with the parts and for $35 Callaham will fit everything and make sure it’s done right.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.