Anyone else gig this weekend?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by donrichfan, Sep 13, 2020.

1. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I have not played since mid-March. Everything on the books through the end of the year has been cancelled.
    Maybe, just maybe, we will have something in February of '21.

2. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Yep - outdoor worship service with everyone in their cars - first time “live” since this all started. Outdoor stage - physically distanced. It was a blast - used my matching Lite Ash Strat and Lite Ash Tele.

donrichfan likes this.
  3. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I ran sound for my duo partner’s 80s band last night, outdoors. Does that count?

My band’s first gig back is on the 26th, indoors! We’ll see how that goes, now, won’t we?

haggardfan1 and donrichfan like this.
  4. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

That's almost as good as playing to a room-full of intoxicated people. Just as annoying.

rangercaster likes this.
  5. donrichfan

donrichfan Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

Sounds great and looks like it was a lot of fun!

6. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

wait two weeks, if you don't want to go in again in two weeks
    assuming it's just you at home

rangercaster and Tele1966 like this.
  7. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

People obviously approach this differently. Two of my best friends from other bands are out gigging these days and it baffles me.

Why go out and play? Playing covers makes ZERO difference to the world.

I only assume their egos are suffering so much that they need to go out and play.

It's ludicrous and ridiculous.

8. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

I’ve been playing pretty frequently again. I’ve had a firm moratorium on anything indoors, and usually only work solo with no band. It’s just safer for now. But I broke my rule yesterday and did an indoor band show. It was a streaming show. No audience actually inside the bar with us. So I felt ok about it.

It was a charity gig for a dog rescue non-profit. Which is something super important to me. It was a good time. But it is kinda odd playing in an empty room and still knowing there are hundreds of people watching you.

9. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

Very happy ( and grateful!) to say I have played 2-3 times every weekend ( a few different little groups, on a roll for the moment...) since the last week of May.

Brewpubs, Wineries and a few breakfast/lunch cafes' have been booking us- all outside if the weather is good.

10. haggardfan1

haggardfan1 Friend of Leo's

My last gig was in February.

We were scheduled to do two outdoor things in June. Both were benefits, one for a food drive and one for a pet adoption day, but our bass player was injured in a fall so we had to cancel.

Not a hint of anything for the rest of the year, that I know of.

I have been doing some acoustic jamming, or practice, with another friend of mine so there's that.

11. ballynally2

ballynally2 Tele-Holic

as most gigs have moved from electric to acoustic anyway that is not a problem for me. It's just that 'conversation level' means it's quite loud here in Ireland.
    Again, it suits me, though music was used to draw in the crowds and if it is now seen as a hazard bars might not want to have music any time soon. If music can't be used to draw in punters i see very little future for music in small pubs/bars.
    Larger subsidised places will do ok in the end, though it irks me when they go to the media and insist on subsidies for their venues as their revenue has gone down.
    What makes you so special!?

I see trad might make a comeback though most folks do not want it. It's more for the heritage people and tourists.

telestratosonic likes this.
  12. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

I'm back to doing at least one show a week, but they are not the same. Even within the old venues the shows are much more intimate... almost like playing soft seaters rather than dance halls and bar rooms. It's not a bad thing, it's just very different.

13. Swingbass

Swingbass Tele-Meister

We decided to only play outdoor or stage gigs. No setup on the edge of the dance floor venues with heavy breathing dancers in close proximity. Since we're in central FL outdoors is almost all year. Our gig schedule has gone from 3-6/month to 2 or 3.

dougstrum likes this.
  14. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I didn't gig this past weekend. My gigging is currently down to just one outdoor venue, which books me every 4-6 weeks. I last played there August 2nd, and I will gig there again this Friday night.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.