Anyone else getting jaded with music...?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Sleph, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

I find I can't listen to the radio any more...I cant seem to sit through the 98% of crap that they play in the hopes of hearing the 2% of decent music that's currently on the charts....and I'm sick of the same OLD classic hits that other stations have been playing for 25 freakin years....and most DJ's just **** me with their verbal diarrhoea.

In an era of myspace, itunes, mp3 downloads, garage band, and literally everyone I know having a home studio...I'm finding it harder and harder to discover good, new music that I want to listen to more than once.

I think I need help - I want to kill Lady Gaga (Madonna 2.0).....does anyone else feel this way, or is it just me?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2011
  2. ibobunot

ibobunot Poster Extraordinaire

I think the last time I turned on a radio was 1998 ACC (After Clear Channel... :neutral:) and I listen to new music everyday.

One thing that helped me was cutting out all "background music" if I don't have the time to set down and really listen I turn it off.

3. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

If not from the radio ibobunot, what's your source for new music?

4. elicross

elicross Poster Extraordinaire

I haven't listened to the radio in years, so I'll jump in and offer my sources for new music:

- Late Night talk shows: I don't watch Letterman or Conan or Craig if they don't have guests I find interesting, but if they do, I'll watch until the end and catch the musical guest, too.

- TV shows: More and more, shows are using pretty hip music. If I like a song and can catch some of the lyrics, I'll do a Google search to find the artist and title -- or I might try an iPhone app like Shazam to see if it can recognize the tune.

- Movies: Same as TV shows.

- TV commercials: Same as TV shows and movies.

- Pandora and LastFM: These web sites and phone apps can create "radio stations" based on artists you specify. That usually leads to hearing some new artists who suit your tastes.

- Guitar Player: A good source for learning about new albums by artists I like, and for learning about artists I think I might like.

A subscription-based download service is very handy, too. I subscribe to Rhapsody, which lets you download whole albums -- as many as you want -- for a flat monthly fee and listen to them as long as you're a subscriber. If I hear a song from one of the above sources, I can find the album it's on and download the whole thing to see if I like the artist. If I don't, I just delete the album and move on to the next thing.

I've discovered a lot of good, new music this way.

5. ibobunot

ibobunot Poster Extraordinaire

TDPRI, YouTube, iTunes, Amazon, anywhere everywhere.... :D

I'm an old guy with too much time on my hands.

6. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

I'm totally with you except I don't want to kill anyone. I intensely dislike the entertainment product known as Lady Gaga, but I don't wish the person who plays that character any ill-will. Sure if she tripped and fell on her face, I'd probably laugh a little harder than usual, but then I'd make sure she was okay... :lol: :twisted: :p

I like Pandora too, you're making me think maybe I need to look into LastFM and Rhapsody too.

The evil record company stereotype certainly has a basis in reality, but one of the good things record companies can do is help separate the diamonds from the rough. With so much infinite choice facing music consumers today, smart record companies like Candy Rat and Favored Nations are finding a niche by helping customers find music they like.

It's too bad about radio. I think even talk radio is almost completely dead. Most people in my generation don't even realize how great radio used to be, the glory days of radio were long ago killed off by television.

http://www.radiolovers.com/pages/allshows.html

Now TV is pretty much garbage too. I have a TV and a DVD player, but no cable or dish... Whenever I'm at a friend's house with cable or satellite, I'm always amazed how you can have 500 channels, and most of the time there's still nothing worth watching...

7. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

All my radio listening is to NPR out of Seattle and the CBC here in Canada. There's still lots of good talking and music on those two broadcast systems. I listen to almost exclusively jazz and blues and most of the talk stuff is informative and interesting.

Whenever I'm around 'regular' radio though it just irritates the crap outta me.

8. Northerntele

Northerntele Tele-Holic

I'm a big fan of pandora.com. Although they get stuck in a loop every once in a while too

9. JayFreddy

I like NPR, but in Dallas, the actual NPR programming we get is limited, and they're doing fund raisers every 3 months, which is incredibly annoying. When I lived in Boston, public radio was much better quality and they had far fewer fundraisers. We do get some BBC Worldnews over night, but no CBC. The CBC stuff I've seen on Youtube looked good.

Keep in mind that the headquarters of Clear Channel is in Texas, and they have a large corporate presence in Dallas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clear_Channel_Communications

In my opinion, Clear Channel is like the Wonder Bread of mass media. No real flavor, no real texture, and no real nutritional value...

10. tweeet

tweeet Tele-Holic

I can get 4 main stations in my car...Heart,Arrow,Radio 1 and Radio 2.I rarely listen to Radio 1 as it plays teen music like hip hop/grunge etc that doesn't appeal to me.The remainder I flick through until something comes on that I will listen to.Heart,Arrow and Radio 2 never play new groundbreaking music or indeed music from new acts.Heart and Arrow will play the same Coldplay,Abba,Ga Ga stuff day after day.Arrow is my local radio station for the south east,you think they'd be up for promoting local music...but nope...only Keane get a mention but they are now mainstream ! I've got solo albums on ITunes and previous band stuff released on major labels but they won't touch it with a bargepole...why.. I don't know.I could jump in the car now and guarantee that one of these stations in the next 2-3 hours would play 'I will survive' by Gloria Bloody Gaynor !
    The only programme I can ever listen to from start to finish is Bob Harris on Radio 2 on Saturday nights (he also does a country show on Tues).He'll mix new and old and always has a band in for live sessions.He'll have some 18 yr old girl in from Arkansas that he saw in some diner one night while on holiday or a bunch of folkies who sent him a CD from The Isle of Skye...either way...you get to hear what other people are performing from around the world and he'll continue to support these people in the following years to come...it's refreshing...but that's the only thing that's a happening.

11. elsewhere

elsewhere Tele-Holic

My friends and coworkers. It might also be worth signing up for a service like last.fm that keeps track of what you listen and recommends you new music based on that.

12. Rooney

Rooney Tele-Meister

I think I'm more jaded with the number of people complaining about how there isn't any good music today when all they really have to do is look for 5 minutes. Check out places like spin.com and pitchfork.com you don't even have to read the reviews, just make a list of the bands they mention, go to youtube and check out one or two songs. If you like it dig deeper, if you don't forget it and move on. Even just looking at what albums are coming out this week and doing the same will probably yield something.

13. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Friend of Leo's

I gave up on traditional radio in the late 80's though for a very brief stint in the mid-90's I did have a great station in Charlotte that I listened to - before they were absorbed by the evil empire...
    As for newer music these days I get hip to great stuff on two local college/NPR stations here with great jazz, blues and funk programming. Or friends, as always.

14. WaylonFan76

WaylonFan76 Poster Extraordinaire

I was about to start a very positive thread about how SiriusXM and Pandora saved me from radio boredom. I'm glad you bring up the subject. I don't how people can stomach top 40 stations of any kind and "classic" anything stations. They play the same 5 or 6 songs all day everyday. I am addicted to Outlaw Country channel on XM and starting to listen to Pandora at work.

15. Retropicker

Retropicker Tele-Meister

Except for some college and public station, radio is worthless.

16. RomanS

RomanS Poster Extraordinaire

Haven't consciously listened to the radio in at least a decade...

I get my info about knew stuff from friends, album reviews in magazines, or online forums/music-sites - my favorite: http://www.nodepression.com/

Oh, and BTW, the radio already sucked when I was still a teenager in the 1980s...

17. Sleph

Sleph Friend of Leo's

twice today people seem to have taken things literally.....not sure if this is a joke or not. If I said "I was totally over her", you'd realize that I wasn't actually standing over her, right?.......or if I said "I feel like I'm taking crazy pills"...you'd realize that I wasn't actually taking any medication....right?

I never said there wasn't any good music out there, I said it was getting harder and harder to find.

It seems to be hiding in amongst lots of stuff that I don't care for.

Was a time you'd just flick the radio onto your favourite station for hours of musical pleasure.....I did that today for the first time in ages and it was the height of irritation.....one Sydney DJ though himself funny making jokes about the poor Queensland flood victims....that was followed by a pile of really bad ads....then by an ad that advertised how that station played more music and fewer ads....then played 3 terrible songs folowed by more blabber.....that aside thanks for you suggestions!

After today, I can see why you don't listen any more.....but I used to love the radio in the 80's.

I think too what I miss are those albums that I liked so much I'd play them over and over......

18. Triton Thrasher

Triton Thrasher Tele-Afflicted

Some good stations here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/radio
    I think you have to download their software.
    The BBC Radio 4 station may be something like the old talk radio you guys remember. 6Music has some good stuff amongst the rap, etc.

19. Televised

Televised Friend of Leo's

I like www.radioparadise.com as a stream station to listen to. They are independent and I like their music selection. I haven't tried www.panadora.com so will have to give it a listen.

As far as AM/FM radio you would think at least one station would take a chance a get away from the over processed commercial tunes or listening to the same "Golden Oldies" again and again. There are some good alternative rock stations but even they get stuck playing the same "hits" from Indie bands.
    Hip-Hop!, Lady GaGa!, American Idol!, Birds and Fish dieing!....this could be worse than the Disco era!......and all signs are that the end is near!!, (see Nostradamus quatrain #37 for reference regarding Madonna, Lady GaGa, and the Penguin epidemic.)

20. JayFreddy

See all those smilies at the end of my post? If want to know if I'm serious or not, that's a big HINT! :eek: :idea: :neutral: :p :oops: ;)

I have no idea about the first time someone took things literally, but if that person and I were part of a conspiracy to slowly drive you insane, do you really think we'd tell you about it? :p :lol:

This is what radio COULD be...

http://www.radiolovers.com/shows/B/BennyGoodman/BennyGoodman37-10-30MadhattanRoom.mp3

74 years ago and those chords and melodies still sound modern to me. It's also great because you don't have to listen to it. It works in the background just as well as it does in the foreground. It was recorded LIVE...

Sometimes I think all those old folks in the 50's who thought Rock n' Roll was ruining music and corrupting the youth knew what they were talking about...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.