1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone Else Favor Pure Nickel Strings? What's Your Brand?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dmarcus30, Nov 14, 2016.

1. heffus

heffus Tele-Holic

Strictly pure nickel strings for me. Mostly GHS Pure Nickel Rollerwound and Fender Pure Nickel. Have tried John Pearse and want to check out Mangan and pyramid.

2. dmarcus30

dmarcus30 Tele-Holic

I do like the GHS Burnished sets and I admire your commitment to getting the right tone for yourself, man.

MickM likes this.
  3. bblumentritt

bblumentritt Tele-Afflicted

I just put some SIT Power Groove Pure Nickel strings on my Tele. I love 'em. They sound great and they feel great.

PowerGroove-Tele-TexasTone.png

4. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Rotosounds for me.

Gibson also makes pure nickel strings.

5. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

I wish I could play pure nickel but my hand compound brings out something in them which turns my fingers black.

I pretty much have to play coated strings now so Elixir's for me. I also have Clear Tone coated but prefer Elixir's.

Back in the day it was GHS Boomer's, DR's or Fender Bullets.

6. gtrjunior

gtrjunior Tele-Holic

Ive always liked and preferred Ernie Ball. I find they have a great tone and for me they stay "fresh" for a good length of time.

7. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

My frequently played guitars get Curt Mangan strings. The others get EB and DR.

8. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

DR Pure Blues for me too!...

9. 6BQ5

6BQ5 Tele-Afflicted

The first set of pure nickel strings I tried were Dunlop, of all things. I've tried a few others since then, but keep going back to the Dunlop.

10. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Would steel strings work for you? Dean Markley and Rotosound make steel strings, and I think Ernie Ball does too (if not, they do make those cobalt ones).

11. jpjr50

jpjr50 Tele-Holic

Haven't tried those brands. I've seen both at Guitar Center but automatically just buy Elixir's. I may give them a shot at one point.

colchar likes this.
  12. tonytrout

tonytrout Friend of Leo's

I use D/Addario's on my guitars. :)

13. colchar

colchar Friend of Leo's

Dean Markley Blue Steel and Rotosound British Steels. I'm curious to hear how they work for you.

14. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

DR Pure Blues. I tried them on my wife's Strats & now she doesn't want to use anything else. So I'm using up all the D'Addario's while she gets the DR's.

15. Obeast

Obeast TDPRI Member

Pyramid Gold flats yield vintage tones instantly because that's the kind of string they used back in the day before Ernie Ball came up with light gauge strings in Hollywood.
    Pyramid strings are expensive but last a long time so it's just an upfront cost rather than one you have to shell out every week like you do for cheaper strings that just wear out so darn fast.

I experiment with other strings like D'Addario Chrome Flats and GHS Brite Flats, half rounds and such to varying degree of satisfaction. I think with Pyramid strings you get what you pay for. They have round cores so they are more flexible than hex core cheapies and the flat wraps don't trap dirt like round wounds so they end up lasting many months.

16. jvanhorn

jvanhorn Tele-Meister

I use D'Addario Pure Nickel strings on my Fender Telecaster. They give me the exact sound and tone that I was looking for. Great strings!

17. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

Fender. Tried DR for a while, but got a few sets with defective strings, so I'm back to Fender.

18. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I've only used the Daddario 11s, this thread makes me want to try some of the others, but I also like the "balanced tension" Daddario sets (beefs up the B and low E strings a touch) and those don't come in pure nickel form. I think I need to start ordering strings individually, but what a pain...

19. Luke44

Luke44 NEW MEMBER!

Having a Kendrick Gig Rig (K spot) Gerald sent me a few packs of 10's Pure Nickel. I've stayed with them..just have a real vintage vibe. Best vintage amp I've owned and love the dwell, tone, level reverb.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.