1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone Else Favor Pure Nickel Strings? What's Your Brand?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by dmarcus30, Nov 14, 2016.

1. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Yes. I get that part too. The issue was that the intonation was inconsistent from set to set. I had a couple of strings come loose as well, but that was probably due to the round core. I don't have that problem with GHS or Ernie Ball PNS. When the DR's were on, they were very good. I just got tired of having problems every third set. Not worth the aggravation for me. YMMV.

2. irie

irie Tele-Holic

This is important. I have used a lot of DR's and only ever had an issue once and that was how I found out about crimping them between the tuner and nut.

3. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I have heard people comment on intonation problems with DR strings and every time they are mentioned there is a small group that brings it up.

I have been using DR 11-50 pure blues for years and never had that problem. I play an average of 70 to 75 gigs a year and usually play them for about a month on my main guitar until they get a little wear from the frets. If I go much over a month I end up breaking a string at a gig. I don't bend them or crimp them. On split shaft tuners I have to stick them down the tuner. My #1 guitar has Planet Waves licking self trimming tuners. I go through 12 to 18 sets on #1 a year and I buy them by the box online for about $5 a set.

I tried the GHS burnished and a few other brands and did not like them.

tarheelbob likes this.
  4. Telekaster

Telekaster Tele-Meister

I use Pyramid Nickel Classis since >10 years. Still my favorite pure Nickel strings. I switch between them and the Pyramid Maximum Performance strings.

5. Glass Onion

Glass Onion Tele-Meister

I like snake oil brand. But the name is changed now, I can't remember right now. It has been awhile since I placed an order.

6. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Poster Extraordinaire

Yup. Thomastik Infeld rounds and flats--12's. I prefer the round core and pure nickel combination.

7. PCollen

PCollen Friend of Leo's

I put Fender Pure Nickle 150L 9-42 on both a Strat and a Tele just to see how much difference they would make vs. D'Addario EXL120's 9-42. I really can't say they made much difference at all and I will probably go back to the D'Ad's when the time comes.

8. mauer62

mauer62 Tele-Holic

GHS pure nickel and GHS Boomers which I believe are nickel plated steel.

Lupo likes this.
  9. Cheap Trills

Cheap Trills Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I use DR Pure Blues as well, but mostly out of habit. I've used the Fender pure nickel, and I think the Eric Johnson set? ... it was pretty much the same thing.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2016
  10. powerwagonjohn

powerwagonjohn Tele-Holic

Another fan of the DR strings but as Mike says you have to either crimp them or have several winds on the post to keep the windings tight. DR had a problem with their package supplier a couple years ago where the string were corroding in the packs. The rep. from DR told me to be sure the strings I buy have the yellow envelopes inside as these are the improved packaging. He told me DR was not the only company suing the packaging co. for using the wrong/defective packaging.
    Thanks John

11. mckeeiain

mckeeiain Tele-Meister

I put pure nickel on and wasnt happy with the tone at first; BUT now that they are broken in I am loving them and will probably stick with them. I believe I'm on Ernie Balls (why the hell can't I remember). I'm usually VERY sure what strings I am using.

12. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Yikes, I'm having another 'exact opposite experience' situation. I used the Fender nickels for years with no issues, then tried 2 sets of the GHS Burnished... had a string break right away on the first, and the second sounds half dead after maybe two weeks at most.

Sounds like the DRs are up next. Although I'm curious about Mangan & Pyramid...

13. soulman969

soulman969 Telefied Ad Free Member

I prefer half size sets so the selection is limited. I've played some Curt Magnan sets and liked and will soon try the Pyramids since I'm leaning more towards using pure nickels on all of my guitar.

dmarcus30 likes this.
  14. Journeyman22

Journeyman22 Tele-Meister

GHS Burnished Nickel Rockers.

MickM and dmarcus30 like this.
  15. the tool

the tool Tele-Holic

NYXL 10-46, best strings i've tried... and i really havent tried that many :D but those i have tried just dont come near the NYXL's. They are really good, and always out of stock in my local store. Getting really popular.... for many reasons.

16. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Another GHS user here. I usually get the Burnished .010's but occasionally I'll get the Rollerwound since I can't tell a difference in feel or sound. Just strings sells the burnished singles and I buy the .018's to replace the plain .017 G string. The winding on the .018 is delicate and doesn't last as long as the other wound strings so I buy extras and replace 'em about halfway through the life of the set.

dmarcus30 likes this.
  17. bluzkat

bluzkat Tele-Holic

I use Pyramid strings and love the Nickle Classics.

The consistant quality of Pyramid strings keeps me coming back.

18. Sea Devil

Sea Devil Friend of Leo's

DR's are very good these days. There have been issues in the past, but not for quite a while. I use them almost exclusively. Split-shaft tuners do an excellent job crimping the strings.

19. Sean65

Sean65 Tele-Holic

Pyramid Pure Nickels are great strings.

The Max Performance have a hex core. They feel great, have a nice vintage warm tone and last well.

The Classics with a round core are also really nice. They sound a little brighter to me.

I'm happy with either of those.

20. midnight340

midnight340 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

I have Thomastik-Infeld Blues Sliders on all my guitars. A bit pricey, but they last a long, long time, and ever since trying them, nothing else sounds as good.

That's for my fingers, of course. Platinum strings on a cigar box, or baling wire on a pinecaster might work better for someone else.

Telebeestar likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.