Anyone else buy the same gear over & over?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Nubs, Mar 13, 2018.

1. fozhebert

fozhebert TDPRI Member

Same here, mostly pedals. After a few decades I've gravitated towards the same amp sounds, so I stick with those emulations. Purely a budget player though, so my Zoom g1on is what I always come back to. Enough options to keep the monkey happy and simple enough for this monkey too.

2. Lobomov

Lobomov Friend of Leo's

Gibson SG standard .. buy sell buy sell ... don't ask me why

3. archtop_fjk

archtop_fjk Tele-Holic

With the advent of used gear sites like Reverb.com, I find myself churning through gear on a regular basis, but mostly amps and pedals (guitars are too much of a pain to ship, as are some amps).

My most prominent rebuy was a 90s vintage Roland Blues Cube BC-60. Got one in the early 2000s and loved it. Then I got the “itch” - and sold it to get a Fender Cyber Deluxe. That was too complex and didn’t really sound all that great, so I tried a Tech21 TM-60. Then I started pining for my long lost Roland. As I was brooding one day, I came across one on Craig’s list for a great price and that was that. I’ll never part with it again...

4. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Meister

DiMarzio Area T neck and Area Hot T bridge pickups.

I don't recall whether I bought this set 2 or 3 times (then sold them off). The neck pickup is great but I couldn't get it to balance with the bridge the way I preferred, and the bridge was so close, but different enough from true single coil that I'd sell them off. Then a couple of years later I'd think "maybe they just didn't mesh with the amp/guitar/height settings etc etc that I was using back then" and I try them again.

5. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

Apart from buying more than one Tele , Strat or Les Paul , no.…...But ,Im much better at buying than selling.
    That goes for other things as well

I cant believe how much crap I have accumulated , some of the car parts have become rather valuable , but I really cant be bothered with selling it all . Maybe if I run completely out of space…..

Some of it gets used though. My son and I built two engines over last winter/spring. The one he has just put in his car , was assembled from an empty block my other son got in a deal , a crank I had lying around , a cylinder head I bought from the US 9 or 10 years ago , and so on.

Lots of quality time spent together , and it runs like a clock

I have just done it again…...Wanted to buy a Les Paul kit , but the quality ones are up there in price.
    I thought I would just buy a cheapish Studio of some kind , add binding , refinish it and so.....

So , saturday I meet up with a guy in a parking lot and bought his near mint 2010 Wine Red Studio. The flame on the top is very noticeable through the paint , this was going to be a great project !

Looking at it at home , action was sky high , so removed strings , checked the frets , and did a level and crown. Level wasnt really needed , but I thought the frets looked rather flat on top , though not worn at all. Tightened everything , most things were loose.

The anchors for the Nashville bridge as usual , werent great. One was loose in the wood , the other rather loose in the threads. Because I have more stuff than I should have , a set of conversion studs showed up in my parts ….case...ehhh….room….ok room..s .

These require threads in the maple cap , so removed the inserts , and did 8 mm threads in the wood , much better !

During all this I was sipping wine with my wife ( Saturday night ,-some guys knows how to spoil a girl ) I gave it a rough setup , and plugged it in next morning...…..As you might have guessed , it is wonderful !

It screams , moans , howls , whispers ,yada-yada. Seriously , one of the best playing and sounding Les Pauls I have ever had my hands on

Now Im looking for another one to do up...…..Hey maybe I should buy a kit ??

6. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

electric guitars and tube amps

7. Gunny

Gunny Tele-Holic

Fender Precision Bass - 5 times that I've bought this instrument. One MIM, the other 4 are US models. I managed to keep that last one, a 60th anniversary model. The MIM was black, the others were all classic sunburst.
    Traynor Bassmaster amp (head + cab). The first P bass was paired with one. Nostalgia hit me around 2003 and I bought another one. They are still bought/sold frequently on line. I'd still have it, but morphed to lighter weight bass gear instead.

8. EddieLocrian

EddieLocrian Tele-Afflicted

I got 2 Deep Blue Delays.

I cant get the timing right for 'dotted 8ths settings' on posh delays so using 2 simple DBD I can set it manually...

9. craigs63

craigs63 Tele-Holic

Yeah, a Boss Tremolo pedal, and a yellow Chiquita guitar. I got the 1st Boss fairly cheap, and sold it for some reason. Then I remembered it I liked having a tremolo effect.

I could never get the first Chiquita to play in tune, someone I met at a guitar show said the neck pickup on the 2 pickup model pulls the strings out of tune. I sold it (I think he was in a ZZ Top tribute band), and eventually got a 1 pickup model. I didn't have much luck with that one either, sold it. Not going to fool me a 3rd time...

10. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Afflicted

Make sure the nut isnt pinching your strings and buy a small tube of "nut sauce" problem solved. I love a great Les Paul.

11. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

Let me give you some advice.

Only buy stuff you really like. It sounds (no disrespect intended) that you're following the Toan Daddies online. If you buy something you love you won't want to sell it. Keep saving your money, wait for something you really love playing to come along and ignore the bozos who chase the flavor of the month.

12. MrGibbly

MrGibbly Tele-Afflicted

I seem to only suffer from this affliction when it comes to (1) Tube Screamers, and (2) Strats. They are solid bits of gear that you can always count on to get the job done but I’ve never gotten hold of a “magical” example of either. So, they inevitably get sold/traded for something else...restarting the cycle. :)

13. scottser

scottser Tele-Afflicted

i had a sovtek mig 50, twice. i always have an eye out for 3rd time lucky.

14. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

I've done it accidentally with pedals. I get the pedal and then remember "Crap.. I already tried this!"

15. Rich_S

Rich_S Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

My biggest doofus moment was selling my first goldtop Schecter PT-bodied partscaster. When I then decided I couldn’t live without it, I had to BUILD a second one.

I spent sometime looking for a guitar with a vibrato arm, trying one, deciding vibrato is not for me, then buying another one a few months later. I’ve finally learned my lesson and I’m happy with my 2 Teles and 1 Hamer Sunburst.

I’ve been really bad about pedals. No idea how many DS-1s and SD-1s I’ve owned. I usually modded them until I didn’t like ‘em any more, then sold them. Then I’d buy more. I finally managed to break that cycle and have a stock DS-1 and a lightly modded SD-1. They’re both keepers.

I also went through a lot of Xotic BB Preamps. I would decide expensive OD pedals were dumb, since an SD-1 sounded just as good. Then I’d come to my senses and acknowledge that nothing sounds as good to me as a BB Preamp. I think I’ve owned about 6 of them. I’m actually looking for another one to have around loose, since the one I have is never leaving my pedalboard.

16. stevemc

stevemc Tele-Holic

i don't sell anything.way too many stories of regret out there.

17. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

That's on my checklist for every new guitar I bring home :p

18. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Friend of Leo's

Loads of different stuff. Although the worst was the 60s Baja in sonic blue. I bought that 3 times for some reason, and every bloody one of them had ripped screws. The last time I bought one, one of the screws that hold the control plate in place, literally were ripped through the side into the cavity. I didn't notice this until after the warranty expired. I tried a few fixes, but nothing worked, plus I don't have a huge lot of patience for fiddly stuff. So, I sold it on. Nice guitar though, but I think if I buy another it will be the 50s style in black.

19. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Poster Extraordinaire

I love the dotted 8ths feature on the DD7

Just tap normal with range set to 800ms and it comes out dotted.

20. Joe Sailor

Joe Sailor Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have bought and sold three Squier ‘51’s.
    And would probably buy a fourth.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.