Anyone else actually like/prefer MIM ceramic pups?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by squierjosh, Oct 18, 2019.

1. squierjosh

squierjosh TDPRI Member

I’ve been experimenting with pickups in my partscaster Tele. I play in a variety band, covering from Johnny Cash to Metallica. I usually switch between a Tele and some humbucker guitar. I’d like to play one guitar if possible. I dropped in a set of the stock MIM ceramics and they seem capable of dialing in everything. They handle overdrive and distortion way better than the V Mod pups I tried. But they can still twang pretty good too.

Is this due to the ceramic magnets or because they’re pretty hot? Or both? Either way, they seem like a good solution for my do-all axe... and you can get them cheap.

2. Ducerro

Ducerro Tele-Meister

When I was chasing pickups for my MIM Strat I came across this. And ever since I've considered the MIM pickups to be FAR superior to anything MY fingers could play...

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  3. Rockhead

Rockhead Tele-Meister

Ceramic pickups tend to be a bit hotter. Allot of the Shredder guitars use ceramics. There is nothing wrong with those MiM standard PuPs. People automatically swap them out without really giving them a try. One of the best sounding guitars I've played was a MiM tele standard with the original PuPs. THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS THEY SOUND GOOD TO YOU and have the versatility you're looking for!

Tonetele, jvin248 and squierjosh like this.
  4. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I lived with the stock MIM ceramics in both my tele and strat for many years. They seem very versatile ... by design I assume and was very happy with them. It was when I decided to narrow my focus of what I was playing that made me decide to replace them in both guitars about a year apart from each other. I really like the Alnico pups that I put in, but definitely not as versatile.

squierjosh and Milspec like this.
  5. Lawdawg

Lawdawg Tele-Holic

If it sounds good, it is good. Like anything, there are good ceramic pickups and bad ones. My first guitar was a super cheap Squier II strat from the late 80s, the ceramic pickups in that sounded like complete a$$. I upgraded to a strat plus that had gold lace sensor pickups, which also use ceramic magnets, and those sounded 1,000 times better.

Although I eventually switched to swanky set of alnicos, the last generation of MIM ceramic pickups sound plenty good -- a far cry from those junky pickups in my 80s strat. It's a bit of a cliche, but in broad terms ceramics do tend to handle high gain better than alnicos, and it's hardly surprising that you and many other players prefer ceramics. Rock on friend!

mkdaws32 and squierjosh like this.
  6. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I liked the ceramics in my '94 MIM Strat for years. Changed them out twice before putting the originals back in. They are not my favorite pups out there (Lace Sensors are) but they really do work with just about any style of music. Sort of a compromise pickup that doesn't do anything great, but doesn't do anything badly either.

squierjosh and Obsessed like this.
  7. guitarsophist

guitarsophist Tele-Meister

I took the ceramic pickups out of both my MiM Tele and my Mim Strat and put in Tonerider vintage sets. I love the Toneriders. However, I must admit that the ceramics in the Tele had more twang than the Toneriders. They are not bad pickups.

squierjosh and Obsessed like this.
  8. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I think the ( ceramic) pickups on my 2004 Standard Tele sound middle of the road, all- purpose mix of warm and bright and IMO plenty of power.

Great for someone like me who basically using just one guitar, to cover a lot of musical territory. ( it's gonna be a Strat or Tele)
    Great volume balance when switching from Neck to Bridge PU's, and both together have a sweet full tone with great presence. Very good for R&B/ Country double stops, as well as rockabilly leads.
    Would hate to lose that sound with a pickup swap

squierjosh likes this.
  9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

I bought my daughter a Squier Mini-Strat when she was younger...and I love those cheap, cruddy pickups. They’re raunchy and nasty and punchy and unsophisticated, but DANG, they rock!

10. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

They are really well designed pickups is my take. They work with a wide range of amps and pedals, and span clean to saturation really well. A lot of folks feel the same, as evidenced how hard it is to find a set. Rarely for sale, and often priced similarly. Took me a year to find some for a thinline.

squierjosh likes this.
  11. TIM5150

TIM5150 TDPRI Member

I like them. I have them in several guitars. They have a grittiness and attitude with them that alnicos just don’t have. Great for rock and hard blues styles.

CFFF and squierjosh like this.
  12. Boblets

Boblets Friend of Leo's

I don't think I knew much about pickups until I read on the internet someone's opinion/belief that ceramic equals inferior.

My MIM Strat sounds very good so I don't worry much these days, I just use the pickups that come with the guitar. I still sound like me, sometimes good, sometimes a bit rough.

13. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

I really liked the ceramics in my ‘07 Tele MiM. Great for rock! I have a CV BSB now and it just doesn’t sound as good to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

squierjosh likes this.
  14. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Afflicted

They're fine though I prefer lower output pickups, personally. Honestly, I've come to enjoy working with whatever a guitar's main tones may be, rather than trying to tweak things to some preconception in my imagination. While these PUs are not my favorite type, they're fine, really, and I can easily see how some would prefer them.

15. nashsed

nashsed TDPRI Member

I've been thinking of replacing the ceramics in mu 2017 MIM Tele. For some reason they produce these really high frequencies which i'm beginning to find really annoying.

Looking for a pair of low output warm sounding pups. Any recommendations?

16. nashsed

nashsed TDPRI Member

I've been seriously considering the Toneriders for my MIM Tele. Are they warmer than the stock ceramic ones?

I'm looking for a warmer bluesier tone without the ice pick highs.

17. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

You might consider some MIMs, Texas Specials, or Tex Mex's, or other reputable well designed higher output, overwound pups - higher output and overwound tend to be warmer (less highs) as long as they are well designed, from a reputable manufacturer that can perform the R&D to get them right. I've replaced two sets of low output pickups that were raspy and harsh, with much smoother warmer MIMs and Tex Mex's. I think its more important that the pickup is actually designed, where the parts are selected and sized to work as a system to produce the desired response, tested and verified before going into production (such as a company like Fender, or SD would do).

PS - I'm not addressing Tonerider products, I was addressing the ceramic-vs-alnico fallacy.

18. preactor

preactor Tele-Holic

I have a set of standard MIM Ceramic Strat pickups in a Peavey Predator Strat Copy. Every time I think about changing something, I always reconsider because the Old Girl sounds PERFECT!

19. mkdaws32

mkdaws32 Tele-Meister Ad Free Member

I like the ceramics in the neck of a strat - anything will do in the middle for me, honestly. I’m still looking for a holy grail bridge single coil for strats, but my Custom Vineham TBanger comes very close - just not quite enough bottom. Mostly I use HBs in the bridge position.

In a tele, I’m really liking the stock ceramics in the Squier Affinities these days - played one through a JCM800 combo in the store a couple of weeks ago and the Affinity was one of the best sounding Teles they had, right off the rack.

20. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Yep, part of the reason I ended up with the FSR in my pic when i went shopping for a Tele.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.