Anyone done P90 for neck with 250 pots ?

Chicago Matt

Friend of Leo's
Wondered about a lower , not hot wound P90 for a tele neck , has anyone had ok results using 250K pots ? Thanks :)
I have a low-wind P90 (6.48 kOhms) in the neck position of my parts Tele, and it's wonderful - articulate mid-range with 250k pots. I use a cap/resistor treble bleed so it retains treble when turning the volume out down, as I do with all my Teles. I tried it with no tone pot in the circuit just to see, but too much treble for me that way. I'm sticking with the 250k pots. With a slightly hot Broadcaster type pickup in the bridge, the middle switch position is the most useful I've had in any Tele.

Last edited:

Chicago Matt

Friend of Leo's
Whats a good low wind P90 , Lollar , or maybe Gibson , or ??
Well, you might laugh, but I got a cheap Fleor (the one advertised as being 6-7k) Mine measures at 6.48k and is plenty bright with great mid-range. It was 18 bucks new on eBay. It's constructed in the traditional manner with 2 A5 bar magnets and a brass baseplate. I figured it would give me an idea what a P90 would sound like in the neck and, if I liked it, I could get a more proper P90 going forward. But it sounds so right, I'm not about to change it. My only complaint is that I had to get mounting screws and springs that were 1/4" longer than the ones it shipped with.

Blues Twanger

Tele-Afflicted
The rule about which pot value goes with which type of pickup didn't seem to become a rule until the internet came along, before that is was more of a guideline. In the end the different values allow you to tune the sound to your liking so use the combination of pots, caps, etc that give you the result you like bear and that's your answer.