Anyone done P90 for neck with 250 pots ?

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Yes I have, in this beast. The P90 is a Gibson standard unit, 7.8K Ohms. It sounds just fine with 250K pots.

AC90-Tele-Completed.jpg

BB

Poster Extraordinaire
Shoot, I still use 250K pots with a low wind Lollar Imperial neck bucker in the neck slot of my tele. Love the tones I get. As far as P90's, I have only used vintage style winds, ala Lollar, SD Custom Shop Antiquity and older Gibson's with 250K pots. Absolutely beautiful....for my ears and style anyway. As always, ymmv.

Wayne Alexander

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
If you want to use a 250K volume pot on a P90 neck pickup, do. If you find that the tone is too dark, switch to a 500K volume pot. It's an issue of $10 and 5 minutes. Try both and see what you like better. What other people have done in their guitars doesn't predict how your guitar will sound. The wood of the guitar - mostly the neck but some contribution from the body - sets the basic tone - dark vs bright, sustainy or not, etc.

schmee

Doctor of Teleocity
Silver Supporter
Yes, they work fine. The Volume pot has a lot to do with it too. A .015 UF tone cap will spread more usable treble control across the tone pot sweep also.

cbnutt

Tele-Afflicted
If you want to use a 250K volume pot on a P90 neck pickup, do. If you find that the tone is too dark, switch to a 500K volume pot. It's an issue of $10 and 5 minutes. Try both and see what you like better. What other people have done in their guitars doesn't predict how your guitar will sound. The wood of the guitar - mostly the neck but some contribution from the body - sets the basic tone - dark vs bright, sustainy or not, etc. > Yes my only concern on the 500 is the bridge would be way to bright .

Wayne Alexander

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
If after trying both 250K and 500K in the guitar you find that the bridge pickup wants a 250K but the neck pickup wants a 500K, use a 500K volume pot but put a 470K resistor to ground on the switch lug where the neck pickup attaches to the switch. That will make the neck pickup see a roughly 250K volume pot while the neck pickup sees 500K.

theprofessor

Poster Extraordinaire
Thanks , not looked a lot yet , but the Lollar is the lowest ive seen .
You can also find Tyson Tone P-90's moving toward that lower output. Their 53 Wraptail Low Wind 1950's neck is built with A3 mags and sounds absolutely wonderful for cleans. That said, the Lollar 50's wind is probably the easiest to obtain -- especially secondhand -- and the cheapest of the boutique pickups for the low-wind neck P90 thing.