1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone doing any analogue recording?

Discussion in 'Recording In Progress' started by Norton72, May 3, 2014.

1. Norton72

Norton72 Tele-Afflicted

I was just practically given a TEAC A-3340S. I don't know anything about it. I know it's not "Professional Grade", but it's for consumer level 4-track recording and I think I'm going to give it a shot.

Just thought it might be interesting to play around with. That way when it sounds like shiite I can claim inferior technology and techniques. :D

2. BuckSatan

BuckSatan Tele-Meister

I use a TEAC 3340s tape machine in my studio all the time. I think it sounds great, even better than an Otari MX5050 I have temporarily here at the studio. I incorporate the TEAC into the digital setup almost every day.

The sync head has limited frequency response which makes overdubs difficult. But I think it excels as a live tracking machine or as a fixed speed slapback on mixdown.

This machine belongs to a friend who graciously lets me use it at my studio. I checked out another 3340S last year but it sounded awful and had some non-functional parts. I do wonder how these machines have aged differently over time.

3. Octave Doctor

Octave Doctor Tele-Afflicted

Well some people bought them and didn't do much with them, just like now, except probably not as likely with a R to R that cost a good bit. I saw one at a friend's shop a couple weeks ago, looked like a brand new one.

On some of the other forums, people are asking about using cassettes to get tape sound to digital--the general response is, you can't even get cassettes to sound like tape, lol.

4. BuckSatan

BuckSatan Tele-Meister

Tape doesn't sound exactly like tape once it's been digitized.

5. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Find a dbx type 1 noise reduction unit.
    You can find it cheap. A Tascam unit.

the S/N ratio is better and you can still get that tape
    on your vocals while using your DAW for the rest.

6. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

I have a 3340S and it's a terrific-sounding tape deck. It sounds great with Ampex/Quantegy tape. I used it for decades to do home recording and the recordings I made with it sound excellent and it's easy to use as well.

7. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I still LOVE Tape for Drums. We used to drive'em in to the Red and win.
    Tape Saturation is a wonderful thing!
    It isn't Distortion or Compression, it is it's own thing.

8. ShadowChancer

ShadowChancer Tele-Holic

I used to use an akai reel to reel 4 track , excelent bit of kit and the recordings were awesome , warm and wooly and yup , driving into the red was the norm . Used a little 8 chanel custom sound desk . Ike a lot of things , you let them go , thinking your stepping up and ,,,,,,,,,,,,,well ,,,then you realise , it would be great to have that simple setup again , aye it takes a bit of maintenance , but hell were constantly ripping our beloved teles to bits and re hacking something , labour of love eh ? 4 tracks was limiting , you just had to get smart with doubling parts on tracks and bouncing down . To use the most quoted example of all time , sgt peppers , one of the uks greatest ever acheivments was done on a 4 track , and with a hell of a lot less fancy outboard than we have now , nuff said methinks , go analog , it`s a source , or at least try it , it`ll alter your radar forever

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.