Anyone do straight Tru Oil on a Pine Body and Maple Neck?

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by El Tele Lobo, Sep 8, 2016.

1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Results? Pictures?

I could swear I've seen posts of people using nothing but. I'm getting recommendations to uses sealers, shellac, pop the grain with this or that. It's getting ridiculous. I took a week off work and I've yet to get started. I'm a cold newb to finishing and I'm not sure I'm up to tinting the tru oil, mixing down shellac flakes (the canned stuff i bought with an amber tint turns out to be waxed. Some people say this is fine and others say you can't put another finish over it. Getting frustrated. Some say use a sealer coat and others say just use Tru-Oil.

I've seen videos of people using just Tru-Oil online so I know it can/has been done, but I'm getting paralyzed with too many choices. I with with TO originally to simplify. I don't have a spray ability and live in florida, where the humidity is currently around 60%.

Someone speak some sanity to me? This is getting comical. I took this week off work to get this underway. Took a day to clean and gather supplies and the last several days doing last minute research and it's thursday and I've yet to really start. Beginning to feel a little foolish. Sorry. Frustrated. :D

2. El Tele Lobo

This is the shellac I bought...

upload_2016-9-8_11-31-40.png

3. El Tele Lobo

BTW...I have been testing both the shellac and the Tru-oil (and combinations thereof ) on scrap pine...so maybe I'll figure this out eventually.

Need to take the advice in my signature...:p

4. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted

I have not done straight tru oil but you certainly can. It is also comptible with a shellac sealer. Don't be paralyzed. Nothing you do with this stuff is likely to be irreversible and TO is very forgiving.

It depends on how glossy you want to get. If you're not looking for high gloss you can go straight TO. First coat can be generous (but wipe off excess) then wipe on thin coats and wipe off excess until you're happy. If you want more gloss the sealer will keep the TO from soaking in so much so it will build faster. But really it's going to be a matter of going until it looks the way you want.

That amber shellac is very yellow. Might not be want you want. Try on a test piece. You don't need tint if you don't want and even TO or clear shellac will darken it up some.

5. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

I used a propane torch on my Pine amp cab and then Truoil on top.

Attached Files:

6. El Tele Lobo

Thanks, Richa. Yeah...I'm looking at my test pieces and finding the shellac very yellow heading toward orange in multiple coats. I've heard and seen that TO can add some amber, just not sure how much it will be over time as it cures. I'd rather go conservative than have a big orange monster.

7. El Tele Lobo

That looks sexy. Seen it done before on bodies. I'm not sure i'm that brave yet...haha...but one day.

8. richa

richa Tele-Afflicted

One caution. The reason you want thin coats of TO is because it won't stand much sanding (maybe light sanding every few coats with 1200). It will burn through the top layer and leave a witness line. The coats do not melt together. If you are not looking for high gloss this will be adequate. Or if you want gloss but don't care about a dead flat (mirror) finish. But if you do want high gloss and dead smooth shellac is easier to build up and sand level. Then do topcoat with TO. Honestly with maple and pine you're not filling grain so trying it on a test piece like you're doing will tell you everything you need.

9. El Tele Lobo

Yes...read about this...and would like to avoid that little problem. I'd prefer to save the witness lines for monday night evangelism team. :D

Not really planning to go very high-gloss I don't think. Semi-gloss maybe. IDK..was going to go until it looked good to me. Assuming I get started. It's just impatience. And I have to conquer that b/c I have to take my time to do this right.

10. neatone

neatone Tele-Holic

this is the zinsser of choice...100% wax free..can put almost anything over it..or use it as a finish itself

[​IMG]

cheers

11. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Will this give you a gloss?

12. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

The body is straight Tru-Oil on ash, so it will be a bit different for pine. This is 5 coats and I didn't fill pores or get into any intense buffing. I really didn't want to and didn't see the need. I also had the neck done with tung oil on this one, but I have done a different all maple neck in Tru-Oil on top of a poly sanding sealer. It also turned out great IMHO.

Attached Files:

cdwillis likes this.
  13. El Tele Lobo

Thanks Lammie. Yeah, mine will probably be lighter. The pine is very white. But I don't mind that. Happen to have a shot of that tru-oil maple neck handy?

14. skippolony

skippolony Tele-Meister

The guitar in my avatar is finished with Tru Oil only but the body is paulownia wood which is quite soft
    and light which is what I wanted. The neck had more coats than the body and was smoothed with fine
    wire wool between coats. The body is holding up very well and I would certainly recommend Tru Oil
    for a nice natural finish.

15. skippolony

skippolony Tele-Meister

Just remembered that I first used a wood stain as the body was very pale.

16. lammie200

lammie200 Friend of Leo's

I don't have a shot of the neck handy, but it really looks like every other neck that you have probably seen. I like using Tru-Oil. It is easy to work with. Wipe on - wipe off. Hang dry for 24 hours. Burnish with a fine scotch brite pad. Repeat as many times as you want.

17. El Tele Lobo

I'm going to go for it. Starting with the neck.

18. El Tele Lobo

First coat's on the neck. Pretty thin I think. Used a drop or so on my finger for the fretboard. Everything else wiped on with a cloth. Is a full 24 hours required even for a thin coat?

19. Buzzardeater

Buzzardeater Tele-Holic

I just did a Duo Sonic in Tru-Oil. I washed the body with aniline dye (golden pine color) for extra blotchiness. I left the body hanging for two weeks before beginning to handle it and that wasn't long enough. I might have put it on too thick but it marks very easily, like a caramel. It smells, too. I bought new stuff for the build, including new Rose pups wound for this application that I might transfer to another body. I hope your build goes better.

20. El Tele Lobo

Whoa...sorry to hear that. I think I'm just going to get the Birchwood Casey Sealer and Filler to seal the body and Tru-Oil over that. OTW to get some now...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.