1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone do drywall?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stepvan, Feb 26, 2021.

1. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

86906587-891B-4019-A337-9B7F6690F737.jpeg

2. Telecasterless

Telecasterless Friend of Leo's

God I hate doing drywall. Are you talking about just screwing it it in to level joists? If so, maybe not so bad. But if you have to float mud, cover seams, and generally work it, I too would/will pay others to do this work. It's just not rewarding, it takes some skill to do well, and...it's just not fun in any way.

3. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

Go back to reply #23 for some before shots.
    A ray of hope for some: 571B35AD-D7E6-45B2-9B21-7E7D82119534.jpeg 1558926A-CECC-4DC3-AE48-0F33C1AA6BD5.jpeg 4E1FD28F-6C01-4F06-A44D-5900FF7CDBB7.jpeg

Jupiter, aging_rocker and Blue Bill like this.
  4. P Thought

P Thought Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Back when I had a better back, I sheetrocked this whole house. My hat is off to the professionals. They do it right, and far faster than I ever did it wrong.

5. Oakville Dave

Oakville Dave Friend of Leo's

You can do it yourself. I just did a 20x12 family room and a 5x7 basement bathroom by myself. Get someone to help you with the ceiling drywall or rent one of those cool machines that lift the drywall up against the ceiling.

getbent likes this.
  6. keithb7

keithb7 Poster Extraordinaire

I want to take this opportunity to brag about my wife. She's taught herself many skills, including drywall work. She has a hoist that jacks the drywall up to the ceiling. She easily runs around on special drywall stilts. She fastens the drywall, then tapes and muds it. All on stilts. She does an incredible job. The flat, smooth, perfect ceilings look like a perfect cake topping. She has ripped down much of the old ceilings here in our home and put up new drywall. Where she can she scrapes the old spackle ceiling off and refinishes it to new. Where spackle has been sealed, painted over, and cannot be scraped off she will skim layers of drywall mud. She'll make a brand new ceiling over top of the old stuff. She's an animal. More like the energizer bunny. Walls, ceilings, floors, you name it, she's got it dialed in.

In our current home she has refinished at least 2,000 sq ft of ceilings. I can't say how for sure how many walls. I snuck in a pic last winter. Seen below here is some of her work. She works alone. No three man team. She takes our truck with an 8 ft box to home depot and gets the lot boys there to load it up with 4x8 sheets of drywall.

Because I get asked so much....No she does not have a sister. She's happily married 30 years. No she's not for hire. She hates doing work for pay, for others. It's her hobby and she loves it. She spends a lot of time doing home renovations. She's all mine! Lol. Many have asked to hire her. One time she relented and took on a bathroom reno. When she was done, she tallied up her time and had the final bill ready to present. I told her to tack on some extra $. She hated the pressure to perform for pay.

High quality drywall is an art. There are way more hacks out there being paid to do drywall, than there are actual talented drywall professionals.

FullSizeRender.jpg

IMG_3756.JPG

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  7. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

Its not that big a deal....I built an attached garage and hung rock and taped EZPZ.....getting it smooth so you don't see joints n stuff? Thats another story....my garage has nice random texture spots!:lol:

8. aging_rocker

aging_rocker Tele-Afflicted

I helped a couple of guys who were drywalling an old round turret in a very old toll house on a bridge many years ago. I still occasionally wake up in sweat dreaming about that.

Nightmare - every piece had to be hand-cut, and fixing it between the old oak beams was a challenge, to put it mildly. Looked a bit like this:
    upload_2021-3-23_12-59-41.png

9. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

OK; half the room is about dialed in. The work ain’t the smoothest, but with some items now in the space, it would be hard to read the “imperfections”. CAAB17C0-3AC8-477E-8FDE-321B407150AF.jpeg 12897622-BB4D-47AD-8688-F7F52F74509F.jpeg

10. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

@johnnylaw , looks beautiful. To the op, I remodeled almost my entire house, and one of the only jobs I hired out was the taping and muddying, once I tried to do it myself. That, and a new roof with full removal of the old one. It’s not that it’s super hard but it’s super unpleasant.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.