1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Anyone do drywall?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by stepvan, Feb 26, 2021.

1. mrfitz98

mrfitz98 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I've done enough drywall to know that if you want it to look good you have two options, spend a lot of time being very careful and patient, or find someone competent to do it. Do you really want to learn while you are doing it? Over your head? Ceilings are the worst. Or you could do a drop ceiling, which is probably better if you've got mechanicals that you may need access to.

stepvan and ale.istotle like this.
  2. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

+1 vote for drop ceiling

stepvan likes this.
  3. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

FEBB77E6-C9F6-49FB-9DFF-49AC7456DE93.jpeg 0FF9CBD9-593B-4B58-9897-F992AE8A016D.jpeg 8A583F6B-0127-4325-A9E9-2E305065E935.jpeg

flathd, aging_rocker, getbent and 2 others like this.
  4. Despres

Despres Tele-Afflicted

Yeah, what he said.

5. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

My music room in progress. Knocked out the wall between two rooms. Will carpet over the new ply sub-floor. Sanded the hardwood. Installed quad receptacles. More mud sanding and smoothing in my future. I’ll have to get back to ya...

stepvan likes this.
  6. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

A fun project. Don't whimp out ... just do it.

7. stxrus

stxrus Poster Extraordinaire

I am in full agreement. Most novices can do an ok job but a pro can do a professional job. Big difference

stepvan and televillian like this.
  8. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

First off, you'll have trouble finding someone now because anyone who can toss mud on a wall are building new homes or major remodeling after buying new homes for those fleeing the big cities.

Drywalling and mudding is easy. It takes practice and knowing a few tricks. Like using a side light against a wall you are working on so you can directly see any issues.

A lot of the mudding is really close to artwork -- you must play guitar so you're not too far away from artwork.
    A mix between mindless skill you can do it and think about other stuff and the art and practice of Zen meditation.

Many drywalling jobs like that run $2k-$3k. But again, the problem is finding someone available in a hot housing market.

Instead of television, watch a lot of videos from this youtube channel. You can do it!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbZdXox6mKHdcT2QdVT-goQ/playlists

stepvan likes this.
  9. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Actually dropped ceiling is an option I didn't even consider i know it will cost more but this leaves everything accessible if a repair is needed

10. stepvan

Dropped ceilings didn't even cross my mind until the mentioned here, probably better choice

11. stepvan

Well congrats on your new music room, pictures definitely once done.

johnnylaw likes this.
  12. stepvan

13. stepvan

Yea I think thats the best choice the more I read

14. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

Youtube! go find a good how to and get after it. You can't mess up drywall if you don't stop. If you are gonna spend, spend on someone to tape and texture, but even that... you can do this! Fear strikes out!

Go for it man, I rerocked a 3800 sq ft house once... by the second room, I was cookin...

for the ceilings, buy a drywall jack at harbor freight or rent one.. CAKE...

15. boneyguy

boneyguy Doctor of Teleocity

You got a buddy that's 7' tall?

16. Gardo

Gardo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Drywall looks great but the down side is that all plumbing, wiring , cable, telephone is sealed . If repairs are needed you’re cutting holes.
    We installed a tile ceiling on a plastic grid. The grid attaches directly to the joists to there is minimal loss of height.
    B7691EE9-2DC2-49AA-8165-CCE301C5DB04.jpeg

17. TheDavis

TheDavis Tele-Meister

When drywalling ceilings, always work with a competent partner preferably a 3 man team.
    Put in the proper prep work. Check the angle of your corner, don’t assume your room is a perfect 90 degree angle or that all your studs are perfectly straight. If it’s wood framing place a long level across the studs and make sure none are high or low. Wood is rarely perfect so you’ll likely need shims or a plainer to get it right. Measure and precut all of your pipes, electrical boxes or lights. Measure trice, check twice, cut once. Do all of this before lifting the heavy piece.
    When you lift the drywall into place hold your screw gun in between your legs with a screw in place. Lift into place and hold tightly with your forearm not your fingers grab the gun with your other hand and place in a screw. Ideally your partner is doing the same thing on the opposite end of the sheet as you. Then when the screw is in take the drill side hand and hold the sheet with that forearm, use the other arm to retrieve a screw from your pouch, load the drill, hold the sheet then proceed to drive in the next screw. Do this with 3 well placed screws each and the board should hold well enough to let go and proceed to fill up the sheet. You should have a screw every 4 to 6 inches to properly attach drywall to a ceiling. If you get the technique down ceilings aren’t much harder than walls.

dented likes this.
  18. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

this is great, but if you use a jack, you can do it by yourself and no sweating hurrying or worrying... all the measuring stuff is for real, but, not using a jack, I usually end up with a bruise on the top of my head from holding the drywall while wearing a cap. GET A JACK

19. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

joker.gif

Jupiter likes this.
  20. johnnylaw

johnnylaw Tele-Afflicted

1900. Kind of Edwardian. Total fixer-upper. Came with a wood stove, knob and tube wiring five dead boilers in the basement, and piss poor plumbing. Perfect for such unusual times.
    Two car garage though!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.